Problems with 5.1 speaker set and Realtek HD Audio manager

Icedrake

Hey guys. I've run into a problem with my surround sound 5.1 speaker set when I connect it to my computer. The problem is that the Realtek HD Audio Manager that comes installed by default with my soundcard detects the speakers, and if I use the test option to test all the speakers and the subwoofer, everything works fine and the subwoofer, the center speaker and the rear speakers (or side speakers) all work and give out sound. However, when I just randomly play anything, the subwoofer, center, and rear/side speakers don't give off any sound. What's wrong?

• Moderators

Hi Icedrake, on my way out with friends so not anytime to help with troubleshooting, however does this help at all?

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/56318-32-surround-sound-working

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

randomly play anything?

the satellite speakers won't play anything unless you're playing something in 5.1 what are you testing with?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

It doesn't work with sounds that should have 5.1, because I have music that should specifically play in a 5.1 surround sound system. And the test file that Nikki gave doesn't work either. The subwoofer, center speaker, and the side/rear speakers don't work, only the front left and the front right.

Did you confirm that the Realtek HD Audio Manager is configured for 5.1 surround sound and not 2.0 stereo?

Yes, the speaker configuration is set to 5.1. Everything checks out when I test each of the speakers, including the subwoofer, but they don't work when I play anything outside of the test noises for the Realtek Audio manager.

but they don't work when I play anything outside of the test noises for the Realtek Audio manager.

That takes me back 40 years when a colleague told me of his previous job on the team that designed "virtual reality" aircraft cockpit simulators.

The end result was a pilot's cabin in which the trainee pilot sat and experienced all the consequences of moving the controls,

except that he could crash and then walk away.

The entire cabin and flight crew were thrown up and down by a hydraulic vertical jack that was controlled by the pilot's actions,

The entire cabin and flight crew and very heavy vertical jack were tilted fore and aft by a larger heavier jack controlled by the pilot's actions,

and all the above was were tilted left and right by a heavier jack controlled by the pilot's actions.

That was a 3 dimension servo controlled feedback system, with complex interactions between each dimension.

Each system was custom designed for each customer and each aircraft.

The sales department were asked for a 4 dimension control system and they added 30% to the delivery time and 30% to the price of the previous 3 dimension system.

The sales department ignored the fact that a standard 3 dimension system had to be thrown around by a super super super super massive hydraulic system,

which still had to operate with pin-point accuracy and stability (no bouncing up and down nor any other direction).

On the due delivery date the customer's representatives arrived for acceptance tests,

and performed the tests and found the results acceptable.

What they did not know was that for the last 6 months there was no further development of the product,

instead the engineers were focussed upon the compilation of a product acceptance test procedure that the product was capable of passing,

and the customer knew no better until the equipment had been shipped to them and then they found the simulation was unlike reality.

Moral of the story - do not evaluate a manufacturer's product with a utility from the same source.

There is nothing new under the Sun :rolleyes:

Years ago (when I was still working) United Airlines was one of my customers. On a trip to their training facility in Denver, I got to take a ride in a 727 flight simuator with a pilot in training. Really cool and at the time, very realistic.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

• 1 year later...
Intro:

I spent several hours over the last couple days trying to figure out why there is no sound coming from the REAR speakers when playing 2.1 sources and such (streaming videos or music from online). 5.1 sound works in video games and DVD/Bluray, etc. There was no SPEAKER FILL option in the most recent REALTEK drivers.

Quick rundown of my problem:

5.1 audio only worked for 5.1 output sources, not for everything.

Interesting details:

CONTROL PANEL > HARDWARE AND SOUND > SOUND, click Speakers (typical output source.... where the sound comes from), then the Configure button.. By default, it's set to Stereo (I just built a new computer, so this is where I was sitting). Set it to 5.1 Surround and it WORKS.... for only one source (I would steam a channel on DI.fm and if I reopened that stream, it would revert back). If I reopen anything or change a sound setting, it'll completely stop or it'll revert back to stereo sound. VERY clear difference, as with stereo, the volume out the front and center speakers is way louder than on 5.1, even on the same volume setting (I was using 50%).

I would change it from 5.1, open a source, change it to Stereo, open a source. There was a clear difference, and as said before though, it only works for ONE source. Keep in mind, Windows has an audio driver that has the SPEAKER FILL option, but as you're all probably aware, it's garbage. VERY quiet!

SOLUTION:

CONTROL PANEL > HARDWARE AND SOUND > SOUND, click Speakers, then the Properties button, click the Enhancements tab (by default, Immediate mode is selected.... I left it checked, default position). Scroll down to the bottom of the list and check DTS Connect. Apply.

You can even use the Room Correction enhancement to further produce a more desired volume from your speakers based on your configuration!

Fixed the issue. I can now restart my computer, play multiple sources, etc, without having to change anything in the sound options ever again!

MOTHERBOARD: Asus Maximus VI Hero w/onboard Realtek HD audio.

• Moderators

Way too much information above for reviving an year old thread. I'm confused are you asking a question, or ?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com