Defraggler (>1 Day) vs Microsoft Defragmenter (8 mins, 58 secs))

ramtodatry

Speed of Defraggler vs Speed of MS Defragmenter

Environment: MS Win-7 Prof x64, I5-3210M, 2.5GHz, 3MB L3, 8GB 1333 DDR3, 750GB 7200 RPM HD, 2GB Dedicated GDDR3, AMD Radeon HD 7650M.

Goal: Fragment Boot Drive - C: (100GB - Used 37.6GB, Free 62.36GB)

Defraggler:

1. Started Defraggler at 11:55 pm, Stats:

1116 Fragmented Files, 4166 Fragments, 1% Fragmented, 3% Completed, Time-to-complete: > 1Day

2. Status at 7:15 am (next morning), Stats:

1065 Fragmented Files, 3902 Fragments, 1% Fragmented, 4% Completed, Time-to-complete: > 1Day

Elapsed Time: 7 Hours, 20 Minutes

After Stopping Defraggler, could not launch Control Panel > MS Defragment Hard Drive;

Shut Down Notebook, Force Stopped Win-7 x64.

MS Defragment Hard Drive:

Ran MS Defragment Hard Drive - 8 passes of Relocating, Consolidating, Defragmenting

Ending Stats: 10 Fragmented Files, 56 Fragments, 0% Fragmentation

Elapsed Time 8 minutes, 58 Seconds

Defraggler Again:

1. Selected 8 of the 10 Files, Defragged the Selected Files

Ending Stats: 2 Fragmented Files, 29 Fragments, 0% Fragmentation

(Files not Fragmented: Safeboot.fs and Safeboot.rsv)

Conclusion:

1. Defraggler has a long way to go, before being a really powerful and useful tool

Recommendation:

1. These performance issues have to be addressed by Piriform,

2. Run MS Defragment Hard Drive first, follow up with Defraggler to finish up.

Have used Disk-keeper before on my XP Notebook, need to upgrade and do a comparison for the Users of Defraggler.

Thanks, will keep you posted.

To do a fair comparison, you cannot use Defraggler regular defragmentation procedure. Just defragment for the file list. Yes, I am aware DF could include a "fast fill feature" for defragmenting free space; one that works. On the other hand, many people are also aware DF speed isn't the best of the batch, specially when compared to other defragmenters out there. However, I still love DF.

To do a fair comparison, you cannot use Defraggler regular defragmentation procedure. Just defragment for the file list. Yes, I am aware DF could include a "fast fill feature" for defragmenting free space; one that works. On the other hand, many people are also aware DF speed isn't the best of the batch, specially when compared to other defragmenters out there. However, I still love DF.

As I work with Defraggler more and more, I really appreciate the ability to defrag individual files, and the speed associated with this feature.