Slow computer-disable startup programs

jmdraft

All I want is a list…….1.2.3.4. etc. of items to disable at startup without effecting XP’s ability to function correctly…….or conversely, a list of items which must not be disabled for XP to function. I don’t want explanations of the items nor how to disable them. Does anyone know of such a list.

Run MSConfig and post a screen capture of the startup tab contents. Alternatively you can use AUTORUNS utility.

May apps have the bad habit of putting crap in the startup section for loading when system boots up. Some of them are merely to check for updates, some other are more obnoxious.

You can disable all the programs (not services though) from all the window's startups without breaking the system. The system does not start any programs on start up the same way applications do.

That being said, if you're only concerned about system stability, you're fine. Any sort of user-desired things like integrated graphics drivers or even some antivir programs could be hindered.

Black Viper's website has such information. You have to copy and paste these URLs.

http://www.blackviper.com/

There are lists of recommended configurations like this one.

http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-xp-x86-32-bit-service-pack-3-service-configurations/

Used to be pretty dependable, well recommended, but I haven't tried his recommendations lately,

The site has changed a lot since last I visited, much more information.

If Black Viper has fallen into disfavor, I'm sure some member will point that out pretty quick. :P

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

login the poster is asking about start up programs as opposed to services (at least that's my impression)

(black viper is still a great site for service configurations though if you know what you are doing :))

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Ahhh, yes. I couldn't tell for sure from the 1st post what items were at issue. Back to sleep for me then. :P

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

JM, there are too many XP configurations to be able to say conclusively without a posting of your exact startup items & services.

If you post your startup items/services, I am sure that we can provide performance boosting tips as well as recommended items to disable.

I typically turn off drive indexing (& other resource hoggers) because I use Locate32 instead.