Ability to run batch files?

Guest Keatah

I think this could be useful for working with older programs. Programs that store the last 4 files used, in an ini file.

I've got an old paint program, which I still use today, paintshop pro 3.12. Yep, this is from the early 1990's! Well, this particular program saves all its settings in an ini file. That's fine. It also saves the last 4 files accessed in that same ini file. That's not fine.

I would like CCleaner to be able to execute Batch Files, This is a simple call to batch file. Nothing more. In thinking about PaintShop Pro, you see, I could have a batch file overwrite the configuration file with a fresh config file that doesn't have the last 4 names accessed.

CCleaner's responsibility here would be nothing more than calling myfile.bat. Does anyone see this being useful?

What you are wanting, is to retain the settings to the program, just not the history.

This takes a bit of learning/trial & error if you are not used to it, but it can be accomplished with WinRar SFX creation.

Batch Icon Extractor will give you perfect icons to use for the SFX loader when you archive the files & turn it into SFX.

Advantages of SFX packages:

-> Extracts to temp, then auto cleans up when you close the program.

-> When you run SFX from flash drives, files are written to the PC (faster writes than flash disk) & run from there. (Also saves write cycles to your flash).

-> Programs packed as SFX always stay the same. Run them 1 or 1 million times, the settings are always the same. No history ini files are retained after you close.

-> SFX reduces size sometimes by 1/2 to 1/4 the original, when using max compression + solid.

-> Files stored in SFX make it easier, because you no longer have to have a folder with 30 files in it. You have a single SFX that extracts to temp & runs.

I am not sure if this is what you are seeking, but I use similar for personal things I create from time to time.

You could place in the same folder as CCleaner64.exe (or CCleaner.exe) your special BAT script.

The script could either BEGIN with your special actions

and conclude with

START CCLEANER64
EXIT

which will close the "DOS Window" and put CCleaner into action

Or alternatively begin with

START "Ccleaner then my-special" /WAIT CCLEANER64
REM followed by your code

Which puts in the DOS Window Title Bar "whatever text you like" whilst doing your stuff,

and only after CCleaner has done its job will your special code take action.

@SF Interesting way of doing things.

So you're saying to create an SFX and then use BatchIconExtractor to dig inside and create an icon to the executable I want to run?

No. Drag & drop your program onto BatchIconExtractor & it will create a folder called icon with all your icons.

Next, create an SFX within WinRar & one of the options is to use an icon.

So, browse to SFX icon to use, & select what you have extracted.

I got the BatchIconExtractor part down and got a handful of icons. ok

I made the SFX with WinRar, and assigned an icon. ok

But how do I get the SFX file, when I click on it, to execute one of the executables within it.

For example, the program I'm working with is an executable within C:\Program Files\PSP

And the executable's name is, creatively, PSP.EXE

So after building an SFX archive of the PSP directory, which comes to 1.5MB, how do I run PSP.EXE?

SFX advance options, type exampleprogram.exe

Better to create the sfx from a group of files, instead of using a folder, else youll have to examplefolder/exampleprogram.exe

Some programs do not work well with inputting a folder name, so better to just add the files directly, as Rar will auto generate SFX001, SFX002 etc. as folder names on extract.

* Also, for most purposes, want it to auto extract to temp folder. On title ?, I do similar: -> 32 Bit / Example Program / 11.3 Then, "Run Example Program?" Or if making an installer, "Install Example Program?" Rar can also run multiple files, & it will wait till the 1st one exits before lauching 2, 3, 4, etc.

Silent SFX work great also.

Mmm. I kind of tried out both solutions presented here. I think I might stay with the batch file style of doing things. It keeps the Kolmogorov Complexity factor low. I don't see a need to read an entire archive file, unpack it, write it and then read it again to use it. That's far too much work.

I believe the better solution is to write a batch file that either edits the preferences.ini file or replaces the file entirely from "protected store". Similar in concept to how the DLLcache and SFC in windows operates. This also allows me to keep settings between program uses if I need to when working on a project spanning several days.