v3.24.1850 slow or doesn't open

gpfont

I'm having the same problem with the new version. Had to do a system restart 3 times today after trying to use version 3.24.1850. Finally gave up and reverted back to the previous version 3.23. Have never had a problem with CCleaner until this last version.

The problem appears to be something in version 3.24 not closing after use. Then on a subsequent usage, it won't open as there is already an instance running. Running task manager shows 2 instances running. The latest can be closed via end task, but the original first instance cannot. Thus the problem. Only a system restart will clear that first instance but after using the program again, you're right back to not closing and being able to start again. No such thing with 3.23.

I'm running W7 64 bit. Sorry but don't know what you mean by service patch levels. Been using CCleaner for many years and have never once had a problem until this one. Running back with 3.23 and everything is perfect like it always has.

Did some reasearch, Running the original w7 64 bit no sevice packs installed. My windows update does not give one for me, just a whole heck of a lot of security updates, but no actual service packs. Hope that is what you wanted to know?

• Moderators

Win Updates doesn't usually offer it now if you don't already have it, but you should get it.

You can download it from here to your desktop or downloads folder and then double click on it to run it and install it. There will be more Windows updates to do after you install the service pack.

If you use a laptop make sure your power cord is plugged in.

You want the one second from bottom in the list which says windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe 903.2 MB

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

No thank you, no need for that SP update. It's only a "cumulative" of all updates which I already have. Almost lost my pc when it tried to install that a couple of years ago. It just wouldn't take. I have all the needed security updates and wouldn't take a chance of trying to install that. Since my machine seems to work perfectly, I just don't want to take that chance of screwing it up.

Since my machine seems to work perfectly, I just don't want to take that chance of screwing it up.

Too late - It is not perfect if it cannot accept SP1 - it is already screwed up,

and perhaps v3.24.1850 fails because

1) Your system is still subject to the damage that prevented your use of SP1 ; or

2) v3.24.1850 needs something that comes with SP1

You're starting to sound like Mr. Obummer, putting the "blame" on something else. I saw where somebody else started this post and has the same problem? Guess that has no bearing? Also I've "easily updated CCleaner" probably over 30 times in the last couple of years. I've updated other programs well over 100 times in the last few years. Again, no problems. If you're gonna exclude those who are not running SP1, you're gonna lose a lot of customers. I'll be happy to just run the last good update, one that works.

• Moderators

1) there is no "you" Alan (nor I) does not work for Piriform

2) reallly no reason to bring politics into this, that is just a tactic to enrage

3) No CCleaner does not have a SP1 requirement, but it (as I just stated in another thread) is not safe computing to not update. SP1 is mostly security fixes, and at some point MS will make it a required update for making more updates

4)My guess it that the issues you are having with ccleaner relate to your UAC settings either on windows itself, or using the UAC bypass task built into ccleaner

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I have to agree that if a system isn't accepting a service pack then there is something else wrong. What exactly? Who knows..

It doesn't really matter if hundreds of programs and installs have worked in the past. As the computing ecosystem moves forward things will be done differently.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used CCleaner for years. Started with ccsetup 301 and just loaded ccsetup 324. Loaded no problem, opened no problem. When I opened the Cleaner tab and ran the analysis it was very slow. Run cleaner tab was also very slow. Closed CCleaner and rebooted the computer. Ran CCleaner again with the same results. Uninstalled V3.24 and reinstalled V3.23 and everything is running normally.

System Win7 Pro 64-Bit SP-1, Mozilla Web Broswer.

Ccleaner is very slow for me as well.

Windows8-64 Pro, fresh OS load, has issues with IE history file, will just hang at 5%, untick that and it hangs at MS log files.

Tried to uninstall and hangs at 35%, still works after trying to uninstall... tried to install over and that hung too.

running your defrag to see if some issue with file structure, only had 7% but requiring 3 hours to perform on fast rig with 16G of ram...

• 3 months later...

With version 3.24.1850, CCLEANER is not opening. I have to re-click 2 or 3 times and then a minute later the 2 instances of CCLEANER open up. This did not happen with previous versions. Thank you.

hey, old topic I know, but I started having the same problem. however, after looking into the newer version of the client, I realized that I no longer get the popup that asks you if you would like to run the program (windows asking for permission) when you click it initially. the newer verison of ccleaner has an option that disables this and I think this might be causing the problem. go to ccleaner, click on the right side options---->advanced---->uncheck skip user account control warning. this worked for me. hope it helps!