Defraggler's File Exclusions

Asphyxium

I was wondering if anyone can please tell me whether DF is excluding system files during a defrag.

The reason for this is I have created a Preinstallation Environment disk with DF on it and want to know whether I'm wasting my time or not.

A PE is a stripped down version of Windows that exists on a ramdisk (virtual hard disk stored in RAM). It is from where Windows installs and, when a custom PE is made, allows you to do advanced virus scans that can remove rootkits and potentially allow you to defrag files normally impossible to touch even in safe mode.

Nothing from your hard disk is loaded in a PE state, therefore everything is on the table.

I know that it is possible to manually force DF into attempting defrag of the MFT and pagefile and thus it is possible that this process takes place when doing whole-disk defrags.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Instructions on creating your own PE are at the following link: http://virtualfoundry.blogspot.com/2010/01/build-windows-7-pe-boot-cd-with-defrag.html

Substitute in DF for the windows defrag utliity. There is no MUI file for DF.

I caution you against using BartPE because the one time I tried it, it was infected with malware. It could have been a false positive, but I cannot tell you what the probability is. It is illegal to distribute PE's, therefore BartPE is suspect anyway.

As a final note, I know that there are some Windows experts who balk at even a safe-mode defrag. I have only one thing to say to them: how long does it take for safe-mode to load? How many files are involved?

Too long and too many. I know what fragmentation does to performance due to a magnification of the problem from using a crappy hard disk and I can tell you that unless your using an SSD, it makes a difference.

Besides, I am an enthusiast user who makes a hobby out of optimizing his system. It is OK for me to spend time modifying things like my TCP/IP settings and figuring out how to make a 64-bit PE state (which is not described in the instructions I provided).

I suggest you copy to a "spare" partition or a flash drive some of your system files that DF refuse to defrag.

Then analyze those copies and if they are not fragmented then get them fragmented - see

http://forum.pirifor...showtopic=37078

Now run DF

I think you will find that DF has been coded with the intelligence to recognize that those files can be safely defragged because they are not part of the active system,

in which case when DF is running under your Ram Drive X:\ PE system it should be prepared to defrag every file in your HDD system partition ?:\

If the above works the remaining concern might be whether your WinPE system includes all the support for the Windows API's that DF uses.

If the Windows Defrag Utility can run under your WinPE system then DF should also run,

unless it uses different parts of Windows that you may need to incorporate within your WinPE.

I would be interested in any feedback you care to give because of my recent effort (and failure) with a Macrium WinPE.Boot Rescue CD.

I have an OCZ SSD and OCZ supply a "ToolBox" that can do special actions on their SSD whilst it is NOT the active System Drive.

It is especially useful for running under the HDD system C:\ when preparing a brand new empty SSD for use as a future system C:\

I used a Macrium Image WinPE Boot CD to run the OCZ "ToolBox" on my SSD when my HDD was no longer system C:\

3 out of 4 tools worked,

but WinPE did not include all that was needed for a "Secure ATA Erase",

so regretfully I gave up and used a different OCZ Linux tool instead,

and then plug in the Macrium WinPE Boot CD to do the job it was designed for - restoring image backups.

Alan

Thank you very much for the response!

The default WinPE is adequate for full DF functionality. Getting ESET Smart Security to work is another matter, however.

Not a problem though, as ESET includes a built-in PE assister (an automated use of the Windows AIK) called SysRescue.

I suggest that you build a defrag PE yourself. I assume your using a new-enough processor to support X64 and will tell you how to build a 64-bit PE.

Whenever you input a command involving the "X86" directory, change it to "AMD64". For example: copype.cmd x86(change to AMD64) c:\PEBuild

And yes, Intel EM64T (I believe it's called) is supported within this AMD64 directory. It should have been called X64. Beware the IA64 directory, as that is for Itaniums only.

I am a bit confused as to your mention of Linux software and the use of Windows PE states. Could you clarify please?

Sorry for the confusion.

Linux is a totally different operating system which is free and open source,

I love the freedom and the concept,

but am totally unfamiliar with both the command line commands and the GUI applications available.

I hate Windows for all the grief it has caused me over the years

but I have learnt to fight back and defeat it, and I am familiar with the applications I need.

I wanted to use my Macrium Boot CD to first run an OCZ Windows application to Erase the SSD

and immediately after to restore the backup image to the SSD.

I was disappointed that I had to instead plug in an OCZ Linux based Boot CD and wait 30 seconds for that to load and run before it spent a few seconds erasing the SSD,

and then spend 30 seconds replacing the Linux Boot CD with the Macrium Boot CD and going through the shut-down restart sequence,

and then another 30 seconds for Macrium Boot CD to load and run,

before it could then spend 4 minutes copying my backup image before I could boot into a restored Windows.

If only Macrium version of WinPE could do the entire job it would same me one CD and 1 minute.

I have restored a Macrium backup on 3 occasions in the last 7 months,

so saving 1 minute per restore would save about 5 minutes per year - after spending at least one day learning how to enhance the Macrium WinPE. :rolleyes:

I am attracted to the idea of doing my own WinPE, but Defragging is not something I will do to my SSD :)

Alan

Well, you should purchase ESET Smart Security. It contains Nod32 (their virus scanner which is #1 in the industry) and a firewall with anti-spyware and some other stuff.

http://www.eset.com/us/home/whyeset/compare/

You can create a WinPE for virus scanning through the interface. I *highly* recommend buying this product. Just yesterday these forums were hacked and redirected into a malware IP address and the software blocked it.