CCleaner unacceptabtely slow on win 8

difilnot

Hi, I've been using CCleaner for years now. Always good. But in win 8, it's sooooo slow. Especially when you have Chrome installed. It's worse than watching paint dry. And I have actually have watched paint dry (I was a kid). First it's fluid. Then it hardens. And based on how well it's done, there are some drips here and there that need to be taken care of. Watching CCleaner take care of Google Chrome in Win 8 is like watching something that does not happen, for a long time, until it is.... finally... done. In win 7 this wasn't the case. I feel like painting my fence before I would use CCleaner on win 8 with Google Chrome. And I've reported this the moment I found out that there was a test version of w8. No response. That's ok. No updates either. I'm going to pay for a different program that does do the job well if this keeps going on. Sorry CC folks, but watching your program struggle for ages on win8 without you even ever offering updates to fix it, is just too much. I'm glad I didn't buy any of the paid versions!

Testing this now, will report back.

Edit:

Does take a long time. I actually wound up cancelling the clean because it was taking ages to compact databases on Firefox

As for chrome, it took 8.3 seconds to delete the history, even though it was less than 1MB

Can't complain though, as Windows 8 is new and they haven't had much time to test it in the wild.

• Moderators

As it's no slower for me on 8 than it was on 7

My guess is that you've told it not to ask you if it can close Firefox (or Chrome) and it is hanging on trying to close them

post-21882-0-12149200-1351549585_thumb.png

screen grab unavailable at the moment sorry to future readers

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

And also, on top of what Nergal says, Win 8 support won't be complete until release date.

Reason is, 8 is basically in testing & prone to lots of changes.

While CCleaner has basic 8 support, it will not be complete till the final version of 8 hits the shelves...

• Moderators

And also, on top of what Nergal says, Win 8 support won't be complete until release date.

Reason is, 8 is basically in testing & prone to lots of changes.

While CCleaner has basic 8 support, it will not be complete till the final version of 8 hits the shelves...

Win 8, as nodles points out, was released in its final form on the 26th Oct.

It is now a fully fledged operating system which is NOT in beta or testing.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Total agree, I use ccleaner all of the time but have just upgraded to Win 8 Pro x64 and ccleaner freezes up and goes so slow when trying to delete temp internet files and history. I know this is not a virus / root kit as I have installed win 8 Pro on a brand new HDD just out of box (clean install).

• Moderators

can somebody with this issue please screen cap it like I did, I see NO difference. however firefox/chrome while used are not my main browser, we need to figure out where the bottle neck is.

Especially somebody who has both Win8 and Win7 or Win8 and XP

Edited by Nergal

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

If you tell me how to screen cap it??, I will happily do it.

Here is a quick tutorial for making a screen shot using Vista Paint — but slightly outdated for Win7's Paint.

Unfortunately the forum uploader is currently down, but you can host your image thru imgur. Drag your image onto this page and click Start Upload. Copy the BBC code into your post.

Dennis provides a tutorial for making screenshots using Faststone Capture on Vista and older OS's, and more on using hosting sites.

I have a feeling that this is connected to the UAC improvements.

Agreed. It also locks out some stuff from being cleaned, one example is CBS logs from winapp2.ini

Even running ccleaner as admin it skips it. I completely disabled UAC via the Local Group Policy Editor and everything was cleaned that wasn't getting cleaned before.

Downside to completely disabling UAC in the policy editor is you are completely locked out of using apps until you re-enable UAC. :blink:

• Moderators

Thanks for the screens.

Is it always on that install file (the Apple install files are freakishly gigantic).

If so, can you manually delete the file (right click it in analysis and choose open containing folder)

Can you clear the IE cache internally (for within ie/internet options)

Hi, No it is normally on Temp Internet Files or Internet History. If I manually clear the cache using IE and then run ccleaner it runs fine but if I browse a few sites and then run it the small circle on ccleaner appears as going round but the hard drive light does not seem to ever show any activity. If I then click the cancel button ccleaner freezes as per the screen capture.

Dave

• Moderators

To those experiencing this issue, Please report back on the status of UAC.

Do you have Skip UAC enabled in CCleaner? If so Did you Upgrade to Windows 8? If so was Skip UAC already set when you upgraded?

What do you have set for windows UAC settings?

It's no longer slow for me. Skip UAC was already set, And after fiddling with Win8 UAC I've gone back to it's default settings even though the alerts annoy me.

In my post http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=37082&view=findpost&p=224230 after setting the UAC back to default it now cleans everything again. :huh: