Defraggler wishlist for version 3.x

eL_PuSHeR

This is a wishlist (in no particular order) for an upcoming future version of defraggler. Please feel free to add your own

suggestions.

- Ability to work with any partition supported for the Windows defragmenting API (e.g. partition size >= 2 TB).

- Ability to defrag the MFT during a boot-time defrag.

- Speed improvements.

- Take prefetch and layout.ini into account for optimizing boot-time (boot files placement).

- Options to sort data according to several criteria (last accessed, last used time...) This would be optional and customizable.

- A fast fill option (defragment free space) that doesn't produce fragmentation.

- Issue a warning about disable VSS volumes defrag and System Restore Points files (these options could probably be enabled by

default).

+1

Definitely need greater than 2 TB support, & like some of your other options.

Not sure about the last one with the warning. If a program gets too clickety (talky) it gets more annoying to use.

If they do implement this, hope they have also a disable warning messages like they do in CCleaner.

• 4 weeks later...

- Schedule more advanced options: Free Space, Free Space with fragmentation... Different schedule options for different days, etc.

- Selective files based on criteria: time, size, etc. One example: defrag only fragmented files older than date X; other example: defrag only fragmented files (>N fragments) and size > x GB.

I hope this will be accepted!

I just want to be able to:

- Send Windows files (or directories) to the fastest part of the disk

- Send user files (or directories) right behind Windows files

- Free space right behind user files

This would maximize speed, because Windows takes a hit loading Windows files.

The faster it can load Windows files, the faster it can access user files.

:P Defrag C: Drive when machine is 'idle' for more than 5 minutes, would be awesome B)

A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.
Author: Max Planck

Support for mounted drives would be nice. Built-in Windows defragmenter supports them, while Defraggler - which aims to be a better replacement - does not. Doesn't it feel wrong? ;) And even more now, since there's an option to replace built-in defragmenter. You open mounted drive's properties, click Defragment button and see that it simply won't happen, because Defraggler won't show the drive in list.

I would like to customize the widths of the Drive / File System / Capacity / Used / Free Space / Defragmentation / Status columns. I use Defraggler on a Full HD display with a DPI set to 125%. As a result, the Defragmentation column header as well as the contents of the Used and Free Space columns aren't completely displayed. The font is too big for the space provided. Currently, the seven columns cover only 40% of the screen's width but when I modify their individual widths, the changes don't get saved. It would also be nice to have every second row slightly shaded to provide contrast.

• 3 weeks later...

:wub:At this moment in time, I would just like to wish all the team at Piriform a very happy new year and my it also keep them all in good health too.

Thanks also team, for providing us with awesome free programs that keep our machines humming so well. :P

A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.
Author: Max Planck

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Hmm, I wish can defrag the scattered blocks displayed to be just one big-simultaneous block.

that's what defragging is

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

pretty hopeful and kinda sure, that we won't have to wait til mythical v3 for those

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, adding "move highlighted to end of drive" option was a very good idea.

Another one would be "move highlighted to beginning of drive".

I know that defragmenting move the files to the beginning, but only for fragmented files.

I like to move some files to the end of the drive, and some others to the beginning.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, great suggestions. +1 for MFT defrag. this one can be discarded, see my later post

I'm adding a simple one: allow resizing of columns in the "file list" tab when defrag is running or paused; currently these columns are resizable when defrag is stopped only.

edit, another glitch: in this tab again, while defrag running or paused, can't scroll using the mousewheel

• Moderators

+1 OuT

it sounds so simple and mundane but amazingly something I keep on try to do while CC is running only to have that light bulb moment of "oh yeah, that's right it can't do that !"

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

According to Piriform themselves, "Defraggler can defragment the MFT as well, but it cannot move the MFT's starting position."

Then I found a saying from JkDefrag author: "It's possible to move the MFT by directly accessing and reading/writing to the disk. But I have decided a long time ago that I do not want to do that. I feel it is too dangerous. So I am limited by the Microsoft defragmentation api, and that api refuses to move the MFT on 2000/2003/XP."

So, I assume MFT defragmentation is already at the best possible, isn't it?

A detection of an installed CCleaner and the possibility to select "clean & defrag". I don't want a big tool, but a possible interaction with CCleaner.

Maybe free space (reserved space) for temp files or updates to reduce a long time defragmentation after a little update.

• 3 weeks later...