CCleaner can't delete all traces ?

codon

• Moderators

the edited post stated he had found a product, whose interface looked cribbed from ccleaner btw, that did cleaned what he was talking about.

however the post imo was formed in a manner to advertise the product and not help make ccleaner a better product. If I am later asked by the administration team to replace the content then it can and will be replaced.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

facts - I tell / told you - for a better CCleaner :rolleyes:

• Nir Sofer developes a tool that shows entries made by windows (works on any version of Windows, starting from Windows 2000 and up to Windows 8 - 32bit & 64bit systems are supported).
  • the tool from Jürgen Haage deletes this entries
  • it seems that there exactly two people*#35 know in this world, where these information’s are stored - Nir Sofer and Jürgen Haage
  • I wish CCleaner may remove these things also
  • I have a solution for the symptoms, and you should find the cause
  • whose interface looked cribbed from ccleaner - what an ugly and wrong information
  • we can change the world, when we love our enemies
  • recognize help when it is given
  • In Germany there are bulbs that can burn 5000 hours, but no normal person can buy it. They are only for traffic lights so they do not often need to be serviced. Ordinary consumers must change every 1000 hours - isn’t it a pity? Think about it!
  • rwipeclean.jpg
  • do it

I agree that there is need to remove these traces.

I believe that some others here were harsh on you, because they misunderstood what you were really wanting.

I support better cleaning, & I too found extra things on my system with NirSofer last activity view.

Would love to see CC add support for being able to erase these caches? Traces?

Edit: Did u ever find the locations they are stored in? If so, can you post them all here? I would love to see so I can learn from this.

Thanks!

• Moderators

That's the crux of the issue, no one is willing to state WHERE the locations needing to be cleaned are, Condon thank you for reposting sans advertisement

nothing will get done on this subject until it is shown where these locations are.

How can we expect the developers to magically "do it" give us what needs cleaning and then it can be done. Why are you showing a picture of your driver folder, I am not attempting to, as @Super Fast ineloquently stated, be "harsh". Nor am I being so. I'm explaining that things can't be cleaned if the location is not known; either someone finds the location or we wait, patiently, for the developers to release a version that can clean them.

EDIT: OF course it anyone who had already downloaded the program (meaning NOT ME) had actually read the website they would have seen

This tool gathers information from various sources, including the Registry, the events log of Windows, the Prefetch folder of Windows (C:\windows\Prefetch), the MiniDump folder of Windows (C:\Windows\Minidump), and more...

The accuracy and the availability of the information displayed by LastActivityView might be different from one system to another. For example, if the user or a software makes changes in the Registry, the action time displayed by LastActivityView might be wrong, because it's based on the modified time of some Registry keys.

Also, for every type of action/event, there is some limitation according to the way that the information is saved in the system. For example, the 'Select file in open/save dialog-box' action is limited for one action of every file extension, so if the user opened 2 .doc files with the open/save dialog-box, only the last one will be displayed.

1) Prefetch CCleaner only cleans old prefetch, new prefetch is much hard to dispense of.

2) MiniDump The folder C:\windows\Minidump doesn't seem to exist of my Windows 8 machine

3) and more. . . This tells me there are multiple source this data comes from

4) ccleaner is a junk remover, any other aspect of it's use (i.e. removing the traces of a computers use) are (to be blunt) side effects. Honestly based on the above paragraph this is not a single-cleanable and most likely would harm the computer if some were removed. Notice LastActivityView has no delete button it can only look at things

and wait there's more

Actions/Events List

The following actions and events are currently supported by LastActivityView:

•Run .EXE file: .EXE file run directly by the user, or by another software/service running in the background.

•Select file in open/save dialog-box: The user selected the specified filename from the standard Save/Open dialog-box of Windows.

•Open file or folder: The user opened the specified filename from Windows Explorer or from another software.

•View Folder in Explorer: The user viewed the specified folder in Windows Explorer.

•Software Installation: The specified software has been installed or updated.

•System Started: The computer has been started.

•System Shutdown: The system has been shut down, directly by the user, or by a software that initiated a reboot.

•Resumed from sleep: The computer has been resumed from sleep mode.

•Network Connected: Network connected, after previously disconnected.

•Network Disconnected: Network has been disconnected

•Software Crash: The specified software has been crashed.

•Software stopped responding (hang): The specified software stopped responding.

•Blue Screen: Blue screen event has been occurred on the system.

•User Logon: The user logged on to the system.

•User Logoff: The user logged off from the system. This even might caused by a software that initiated a reboot.

•Restore Point Created: Restore point has been created by Windows operating system.

•Windows Installer Started

•Windows Installer Ended

<sarcasm>Wow, that was so hard to state without useless images </sarcasm>

Edited by Nergal
NERGAL IS GRUMPIER AFTER BEING TOLD THAT ENFORCING RULES IS BEING HARSH

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• “There must be some kind of way out of here, there's too much confusion, I can't get no relief - but may be now!” - modified text of Jimi Hendrixs all along the watchtower
  • Most of the NirSoft utilities were developed in C++
  • I tried to decompile LastActivitiesView - no success
  • I've been thinking hard about everything again to find a solution - and...
  • I watched the registry activities before and after running the tool of Jürgen Haag - success
  • <sarcasm>aim is not to compare {edit}, but find a solution </sarcasm>
  • solutionc.jpg
  • my system - win7 64bit
  • may be the following link is helpfully for the developers
  • http://www.jhouseconsulting.com/2009/05/09/mastering-the-default-explorer-views-for-windows-xp-and-2003-280

Edited by Nergal
Censored due to forum rules

The Nirsoft tool shows last activity.

I understood from the first post that some how the last access date was a privacy issue to be dealt with.

When I look at the image on Nirsoft site I can see 14/10/12 13:39:12 against rundll32.exe.

Is the privacy concealment desire to obfuscate or remove :-

the time stamp ; or

the existence of rundll32 ?

Moving on to post #31

Jürgen Haag's tool apparently zapped 12 registry keys holding 34 values.

Is it really safe to zap Shell\BagMRU\ ?

Should these privacy items be backed up in Unicode text readable CC*.REG backup files like all the other registry cleaning targets ?

codon once agian thank you for your work !! I love the musical references ! :)

This is the most significant upgrade for CCleaner in a long time and you have been entirely responsible for it. Well done and thank you very much for sharing.

As for your last "sarcasm" point, it would appear that you do indeed have the biggest one here !!! ha ha ! :)

• @ CCman :D

Something of our own: I don’t understand ironic comments or idioms, because it's the

meaning that is meant - not the direct translation of words. A german example: "Da brat mir

einer ‘nen Storch* " -> "Fry me a stork" <- does it make sence to you?

• *It’s an expression of great astonishment.
    What is meant is that there is something so amazing, unusual, such as frying a stork would be.
    You'll may say it if anybody tells you the world is a cube.

I have tried the third party plugins (Winapp2.ini) with all options checked and still it fails to remove this history.

After downloading the latest WinApp2.ini file into my 3.24 version of CCleaner on my 32 Bit 7, I found that even after checking all extra items & running CCleaner, it still showed things that had run in the past.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU

HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU

...compare this entries in Winapp2.ini and the screenshot above - look and see! -_-

We can meet us in "The Red Lion" - may be you mean the one in London and I the one in Würzburg. There is no match

Do you tried LastActivityView. Does your Winapp2.ini work?

@codon

Well codon you seem to have everyone "All Shook Up" (Elvis). In my effort to "Stay Clean" (Motorhead) I realise CCleaner is just "Not Enough" (Van Halen).

It was good of you to recommend a "Substitute" (The Who) but you were treated like a "Smooth Criminal" (M.Jackson).

Perhaps you need to be "Going Underground" (The Jam) when you next recommend a "Fix" (Sisters Of Mercy) you might do better sending a "Message in A Bottle" (The Police) or perhaps a simple PM next time. You could do it "Time After Time" (Cyndi Lauper) but I guess if you do you might get sent to " San Quentin" (Johnny Cash).

Thanks for sticking with this problem and helping everyone here. You are a "Hero" (Bonnie Tyler). :D

Delete 100% nirsoft activity (on Win7 x64)

I don't take any responsibility for damages at your data or PC !!!!!!!

renaming or delete this regedit tree

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

from command line extra settings for clean recyclebin:

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

building batch and execute this code for clearing all event log:

@cls

@echo.

@echo.

@echo.

@echo Clearing event logs...

@for /f "delims=," %%i in ( 'wevtutil el' ) do wevtutil cl "%%i" >NUL 2>&1

wevtutil.exe cl "Microsoft-Windows-Diagnosis-DPS/Operational"

wevtutil.exe cl "Microsoft-Windows-User Profile Service/Operational"

wevtutil.exe cl "Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender/Operational"

wevtutil.exe cl "Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender/WHC"

wevtutil.exe cl "Microsoft-Windows-Windows Firewall With Advanced Security/Firewall"

wevtutil.exe cl System

reference:

http://www.jeroentielen.nl/explaining-the-bagsbagmru-registry-tree-trying/

into this reg entries "Windows will remember each and every folder settings."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813711

when you have this problem "Changes to the size, view, icon or position of a folder are lost"

microsoft Fix the problem manually with:

Delete the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

For x64-based versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7, delete the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU

Re-create the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

For x64-based versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7, re-create the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU

bye

• HKEY_USERS http://de.wikipedia....ssel_HKEY_USERS
    This master key contains the user-specific configuration information of all users who are currently logged on to the system. Only when the user logs in - the configuration data will copied from HKEY_USERS in the user-specific key HKEY_CURRENT_USER
  • reverse
  • I cleaned the registry
  • made a “regshot”
  • opend this path c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
  • second “regshot” and compared
  • (my) windows 7 x64bit made no changes in HKEY_CURRENT_USER but in HKEY_USERS

@radonflex

Great first post !! Welcome to the forum. :)

@codon

Again great work, its nice to see that someone is fixing this. You have already gone beyond what I was finding. :)

Thank you for your efforts.

• The Nir Sofer-utility ShellBagsView http://www.nirsoft.n..._bags_view.html shows me for example number 2531(folder etc)unbenannt2nh.jpg
  • In the registry I found this number 2531 (folder etc) four times
  • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\2531\Shell…
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\2531\Shell…
    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-//-1000\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\2531\Shell…
    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-//-1000_Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\2531\Shell…
  • all changes when going into the folders (screenshot #42) or cleaning it (screenshot #31) were in HKEY_USERS-//-
  • @radonflex - If you have deleted everything on your way, it stays that way when you restart the Computer?

• Moderators

Hi, there is a way to get any and all entries for the program vetted

that way is to create and test your own entries in a winapp2.ini (see the link in my signature)

when you have tested the entries on your own machines to the extent that you can, there is a public community driven winapp2.ini file found at the top of the CCleaner discussion board, there you can submit your entry(s) and the community will test/comment on them. Many of the entries in the ccleaner program got their first start in the community file so chances are better that it will be added.

Do note though that the developers do read all threads, though with ever increasing rarity do they comment. It may well be some of these removals may be seen in a future build. But again I must stress ccleaner is NOT a privacy program. It is a space clearer.

Found another one...

Keep your data secure and private

Most companies acknowledge the need for a coherent policy on document retention and deletion, for the purposes of privacy as well as compliance. But when you legitimately delete a file, is it fully deleted from the computer, or is it still in the cache somewhere? You may be leaving your company open to unnecessary review of documents that you have already legitimately deleted. A regular cleaning makes sure that what you've deleted is actually gone. In addition, use of CCleaner helps guard against the ill effects of employee use of unauthorized software - which slows down the computer and clutters the registry.

From here..

http://www.piriform.com/business/ccleaner-benefits

Found another one...

Keep your data secure and private

Most companies acknowledge the need for a coherent policy on document retention and deletion, for the purposes of privacy as well as compliance. But when you legitimately delete a file, is it fully deleted from the computer, or is it still in the cache somewhere? You may be leaving your company open to unnecessary review of documents that you have already legitimately deleted. A regular cleaning makes sure that what you've deleted is actually gone. In addition, use of CCleaner helps guard against the ill effects of employee use of unauthorized software - which slows down the computer and clutters the registry.

From here..

http://www.piriform.com/business/ccleaner-benefits

More...

Recycle Bin, Recent Documents, Temporary files and Log files.

From here..

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

• Moderators

CCman come on, let's not get into a discussion here about the text on the ccleaner website and talk about the program.

That is what this area of the forum is for.

Anyone wants to suggest entries for the program? Then do what Nergal suggests in post #43.

It is not going to help just saying ''do what this other program does'' Instead find the entries, present them in the WinApp2.ini section of the forum for further testing and comments from members.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• grmml developer nrrgh cleaner bla bla bla privacy
  • Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup
    they slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe…
    no direct contact to developers - mmmh
    Jai guru deva om

• Moderators

Stop with the pettiness, stop with the trying to one-up moderators and #42 is not a cleaner formatted entry, I would not have posted 43 if 42 was.

Have you tested removing this items with ccleaner?

Have you analyzed the effects of removals on a PC?

Have you submitted properly tested and formatted Ccleaner rules to the community

No you've said this and that nebulous ideas don't clean

You've said here are some screen shots of somethings

CCleaner only cleans for the current user

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\2531\Shell…

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-//-1000\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\2531\Shell…

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-//-1000_Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\2531\Shell…

The second two are a user of that machine (and if it's the current user then entry one and two are the exact same entry

Many Shell bags, including all five you show in

unbenannt2nh.jpg

Are recreated by windows during startup because shellbags are created as things are accessed by the computer

http://computer-fore...07/05/shellbags

Then there's this picture

solutionc.jpg

You are correct that _classes for Users does not seem to be in the Shellbags entries of winapp2 (they are found for current user in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive, I believe). Maybe Winapp2.ini (the person) can tell us if that is a cleanable location. They don't seem to hold any plain text usage names, but nor do the currently cleaned shellbags.

So, so far in 3 pages you've identified a single uncleaned entry that could be looked into adding. That's a good start, but if there this pile, that has caused so much animosity amongst relatively new members and people who have been curating and working with this open source/plain text part of the program (winapp2), then you will need to provide those locations.

Edited by Nergal
grammer and Hard returns (grr ip. board software. . . GRRRR)