Fighting high gas prices

Super Fast

I have wondered if my Honda Rebel gets nearly 85 MPG at times, what would a diesel fuel injected Honda Rebel get?

Or fully atomizing the gas, & running it off fumes. Instead of wastefully injecting a spray that doesn't get 100% burn?

300 MPG perhaps? 3,000 MPG? I'd love to know!!! haha

• Moderators

I think about the only viable solution to perhaps get better gas mileage in a car is to remove all unnecessary weight in it such as stuff in the trunk/boot, replace the spare tire with a can or two of flat sealant, and then get low rolling resistant tires which many of those 40 mpg gas cars use along with hybrids. The problem though with low rolling resistant tires is the lack of grip they have.

I wonder if having the whole fuel system cleansed professionally to remove carbon deposits helps?

I know having that done will lower emissions allowing a once failed vehicle to then pass emission/MOT tests, possibly give the vehicle a littler more power, however I don't know if it increases the mpg.

Edited by Andavari

• Moderators

The only thing is there'd be a necessary need for the manufacture to at least being doing business in the U.S., and importing parts would be high priced.

What we've seriously needed for a long time are more cars equipped with efficient clean diesel engines (then there'd be no need for hybrids) like what's available throughout Europe. The only current players in the U.S. willing to bring it over are the German manufacturers and the only non-luxury German brand doing it here is Volkswagen, yet there's still a premium buying a diesel engine car and a premium at the pump with at least a $1 cost over gas.

So how much does gasoline cost in USA & UK at the moment? On average?

In litres, please! :P

WinAppini2 is correct. $0.95 per liter.

Yes, there is a tax on motorcycles. Mine was about $97 for the whole year.

To put things in perspective, it would be like gas dropping to $0.31 liter if you rode a Honda Rebel, because lots of cars only get 25 or fewer MPG.

Ford makes small block diesel cars for Europe that get about 75 MPG.

I don't get why we can't have them here. Heard the excuse was "They didn't pass emissions testing".

I believe cars that only get 25 MPG produce 3x times more emissions than that.

:o

• Moderators

Ford makes so small block diesel cars for Europe that get about 75 MPG.

Due note when watching TV shows like TopGear or Fifth Gear that state a car gets something like 75 mpg that number wouldn't calculate over here because they're using a different rating system for mpg, for us I've heard it would be more like 40 mpg or thereabouts which Volkswagen Jetta equipped diesel cars already get here.

Edited by Andavari

• Moderators

Interesting, although in the VW Jetta and Passat sold here we don't get the 1.6L TDI engine, then again the Jetta and Passat which are sold here are exclusive to North America and are bigger than the European versions.

The only thing is there'd be a necessary need for the manufacture to at least being doing business in the U.S., and importing parts would be high priced.

What we've seriously needed for a long time are more cars equipped with efficient clean diesel engines (then there'd be no need for hybrids) like what's available throughout Europe. The only current players in the U.S. willing to bring it over are the German manufacturers and the only non-luxury German brand doing it here is Volkswagen, yet there's still a premium buying a diesel engine car and a premium at the pump with at least a $1 cost over gas.

Actually, Ford DOES produce 75 MPG (or higher) vehicles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w4QGMPyRi0

They just don't sell them here, because "There are business reasons why".

Ain't that sad? We produce em here, then sell em' overseas?

• Moderators

That 75 MPG does not calculate for the U.S., which countless U.S. car magazines on YouTube have clearly stated in their car reviews.

In car reviews on YouTube such as those by CarBuyer in the U.K. where they state a diesel gets 50-70+ MPG if that exact same car were to be sold in the U.S. it wouldn't be rated at the same MPG. For a reference look on YouTube for a car sold here in the U.S. and find it's U.K. version with the same engine size, etc., and the MPG they talk about is totally different.

What would be more interesting is a diesel+hybrid, I know there's at least one car company working on it.

Safety?

Has living EVER been safe? LOL!

As long as you watch for curves, intersections, & always give the vehicles in front of you PLENTY of distance from your car, you should be relatively safe.

Or, as safe as one could reasonably expect to be, till the day that they should die.

-> You can keep paying for triple the gas & enter retirement when your 80 & kicking the bucket. I'll take the savings, please!!!

• Moderators

Diesel + hybrid + total fuel atomization (full fuel burn) + fuel injection + turbo chargers?

Just give me a teleporter for some real atomization. :P New York to Tokyo in 5 seconds, any takers?

Here's a 80mpg car for you all. The Peel p-50

p5003.png

If you ever got bored driving it you could always physically pull it along with you. :lol:

I had a battery powered toy car about that size when I was a child, which I think got the electric eMPG of about 3 minutes.

• Moderators

Wow that's messed up

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

In the wake of hurricane sandy, my older sister watched price gouging in action: A gas station owner marked up his gas 20¢ purely because he could.

Welcome to America! People that price gouge will often get very bad publicity though, or worse an irate customer returning to gouge something else.

Just give me a teleporter for some real atomization. :P New York to Tokyo in 5 seconds, any takers?

Actually, they are working on that: -> http://inhabitat.com...-under-an-hour/

New York to Los Angeles or London in about 45 min to an hour, & Beijing being 2 hours.

Sorry it isn't 5 seconds, but vacuum tube travel is estimated to be 4,000 mp/h (6,437 km/h).

Also, please see: -> http://www.et3.com/