Fighting high gas prices

Super Fast

Some may laugh, but it is really fun to ride my 2006 Honda Rebel motorbike. Small, light, almost feels like a bicycle with a motor. Very comfortable.

Gets around 80 MPG, which is more than 3X cheaper than my 1996 Cavalier at 25 MPG. Now, I use it to save wear on my car, & to save $$$ too!

If gas is $3.60 gal, its less than $1.20 to ride the Rebel. Why blow 3x the $$$ on gas, if you don't have to?

Larger rides feel safer. But sometimes smaller can save your hide when someone drives in your lane too, around a curve.

Bigger cars use 3X (or more) in gas, have higher insurance & taxes, & it's like throwing your $$$ down the drain.

It all depends on how you look at it. The way I see it, the faster I save, the faster I can live the way I want when I retire.

• Moderators

Yeah I don't agree. Still would rather be in a car than a bike if someone is in my lane. On a bike you splat if you get hit and if you go off the road your probably dead too. I've seen horrific motorcycle wrecks. If I didn't drive on the interstate everyday I might consider it.

Car may be safer in an impact, but it may also cause an impact being so much bigger & more likely to snag something.

I just don't like the idea of working 3x or 4x harder & longer to earn 3x or 4x the $$$ for gas.

Car = $50 wk/52 wks yr = $2600. Bike = $800 yr. $1,800 yr savings. 10 yr savings = $18,000. 30 yr = $54,000. Think what I can do with $54,000?

* If gas reaches $10.8 gal, car = $150 wk/$7,800 yr. Bike = $2,400 yr. $5,400 savings. 10 yr savings = $54,000. 30 yr = $162,000. Think what I can do with that?

• Moderators

http://www.fuelgaugereport.aaa.com/

U.S.

However read this (from march 2011) and you soon see that Americans are crybabies when I comes to gas prices:

http://www.kiplinger.com/features/archives/gas-prices-around-the-world.html

Also the public transports in each state (especial the further west you go, where the gas prices really are higher) are for the most part much more spotty and less used (read pathetic) than those in other countries (size equivalency require I set the comparison as State-in-USA=Country-in-Europe) and, save a few cities, Americans RARELY walk further than 1-1.5 City blocks.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

You guys on the other side of the pond should be thankful your gas prices are only high.

Here in the UK they're hitting the stratosphere.

If my maths is anywhere close, at something like 140p per litre, we're hitting around the £6 a gallon mark at the moment, which I believe is in the region of $9.6.

And on top of that we have to pay an annual road tax.

You guys on the other side of the pond should be thankful your gas prices are only high.

Here in the UK they're hitting the stratosphere.

If my maths is anywhere close, at something like 140p per litre, we're hitting around the £6 a gallon mark at the moment, which I believe is in the region of $9.6.

And on top of that we have to pay an annual road tax.

We make up for it with tuition prices, amongst other things, such as the pain of using both metric and imperial, instead of just metric ;)

So 1L = ~1$?

Here 1L = 1,7€ = 2,1$. :D

So gallon would be... ~8$?

Where I am, gas is about ~$4 a gallon at the moment (it varies by about 7¢ either way, but I'll stick with 4 for the sake of round numbers)

A gallon is 3.78541 litres, so I guess it's about 95¢/litre.

I don't know what milage you guys have, but I've got friends who get about 12 miles (19.3 km) to the gallon, :lol:

Edit: can you post your gas kilometerage in furlongs?

http://www.fuelgaugereport.aaa.com/

U.S.

However read this (from march 2011) and you soon see that Americans are crybabies when I comes to gas prices:

http://www.kiplinger...-the-world.html

Also the public transports in each state (especial the further west you go, where the gas prices really are higher) are for the most part much more spotty and less used (read pathetic) than those in other countries (size equivalency require I set the comparison as State-in-USA=Country-in-Europe) and, save a few cities, Americans RARELY walk further than 1-1.5 City blocks.

when I was in the city visiting a friend, I walked about 35 city blocks one way to go snap a picture in front of the IBM building. I think the real trade-off is that Europe has a much better public transit system as a whole, whereas a car is pretty much a nessescity in murrica.

• Moderators

right but new York and Denver are exceptions to both the nobody walks and bad transport caveats

EDIT: Maybe http://io9.com/5953227/engineers-create-gasoline-from-air-and-water-yes-really will help us all

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Car = $50 wk/52 wks yr = $2600. Bike = $800 yr. $1,800 yr savings. 10 yr savings = $18,000. 30 yr = $54,000. Think what I can do with $54,000?

That $54,000 number would've be that of course, it would likely be allot more since gas/petrol prices are unpredictable something from mother nature like a tropical storm or hurricane here in the U.S. can cause it to go up in price, as well as unrest due to war-time conflicts.

Get yourself one of those new all-electric motorcycles and you'd use no gas at all, although you may have range anxiety.

Like rridgely pointed out I also wouldn't ride a motorcycle -- due to how people drive their cars. I've been cut off more than I can keep count so much that it doesn't even piss me off anymore, and the many times it's happened if I were on a motorbike I could've perhaps crashed. I wish gas wasn't so high because I'd have an huge truck and dare anyone to cut me off without leaving enough braking room.

I think we drive a lot more in the US. I could be wrong but its not uncommon for me to drive 100 miles a day to work and back.

I drive from 30 to 120, depending where we work. On storms, sometimes we drive several hundred, or even over 1,000 miles.

• Moderators

I think we drive a lot more in the US. I could be wrong but its not uncommon for me to drive 100 miles a day to work and back.

If I had to drive that much on every work day I'd seriously look into one of those smaller compact cars that get at least 40 mpg using gas/petrol, a diesel, or a hybrid.