USB connection history

boby972

Hi everyone,

I would like to have a registry cleaning about USB connections and files read on external drives.

I found a previous topic about USB log but the howto is no longer available.

I think it will be great to clean Windows' usb connection history especially files read on external drives as Ccleaner does this well for browsers and navigation data. :rolleyes:

• Moderators

Yeah, but you'd have to know exactly what you're cleaning with it because removal of some stuff can cause serious enough issues that would require restoring/reinstalling Windows - something which not even a System Restore Point could undo.

In the meantime there's the freeware USBDeview by Nirsoft, but again you need to use it with caution.

• 2 weeks later...

It will clean the connection history and serial numbers and mountpoints. I don't believe it will do anything with file history or drivers. File history is another function entirely separate from usb connection history, and in the realm of CCleaner. Driver removal is best done manually or by some other utility.

This utility is powerful and will make it like you're plugging in USB drives for the 1st time.

This utility affects only the registry.

So, as always with new cleaner utilities, check the backup box and run a simulation first.

I would also like an added feature in CCleaner's Registry cleaner to remove entries of .exe files that were run from removable media like USB drives and optical disks.

Running program installer setup disks often result to orphaned Registry entries of icon files and .exe files that are located on those disks.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.