l-o-n-g defrag time

joeparkerjr

Not sure. U have not provided enough information.

- CPU speed

- RAM (Total ram (not virtual ram either) + amount of free RAM)

- HDD size + free space available

- 32 or 64 Bit OS, & version of it

- Version of Defraggler used

- Amount of time (average) between the defrags

- Number of processes loading on startup

- If your system fans are clogged with dust (heat build up causes slow downs)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

ignore what it says the time will be time estimates are just that estimates and will often bounce back and forth, any defragg takes a while, if you don't like that, just let windows defragger do it's auto defrag which windows us default set to do

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Might be same issue of Defraggler running very slow:

My normal daily use of Defraggler, as a tool to defragment just the fragmented files -- seems to be working well and as expected.

But the whole drive defragment (button: "DEFRAG") has been going incredibly slowly for the last 2 or so releases. Currently using latest Defraggler v2.11.560

I've been meaning to post here about it, but see now that I may not be alone.

On the one hand, it usually says it will take more than 24 hours to defragment the C drive.

On the other hand, I can watch at the main info first tab, and see that it moves approximately one file per 2 or 3 seconds. And uses about 50% CPU while running. These files are just small multi-KB files, not Megabytes.

I almost feel I could manually defragment the drive faster myself. (Of course that is a silly exaggeration, but that is the way it feels when it takes three seconds to move a 5 KB file from one place to another.)

Configuration info follows.

And note that I run Diskcheck regularly on the drive, both from Windows Explorer Drive Properties (at "Next Boot") and also occasionally from boot up Recovery Console Chkdsk /p. I Diskcheck about twice a week.

And I run a CD boot tool about every two months or so to check drive diagnostic quick test, Result = OK, and surface check, Result = OK (I check this frequently because this is an older computer...).

Windows XP Pro SP3, 2 GB RAM, P4 3.2GHz, Sony Vaio PCVRS530G minitower

Processes at boot up time: 44, with about 425 MB of 2 GB availble RAM in use after boot.

I rarely see more than 1 GB RAM used (unless I let Firefox stay open with dozens of tabs...)

Avira Free AV, with an exception (to not monitor) applied to Defraggler.

Fans and temps are clean and OK.

CPU at 41C (currently) and HD at 41C (currently), when just running Browser, and Defraggler is open but idle.

When I start the Defraggler full drive "Defrag" process, CPU goes up to 45-58% utilization, and CPU Temp goes up to 47 to 55C.

HD drive temp goes up to 43-44C range.

Temps and CPU as measured by Task Manager, System Explorer and SpeedFan.

HD status (below) as measured by HDD Health, CrystalDiskInfo and HD Sentinel.

Defraggler v 2.11.560 currently. Prior ver 2.10, etc.

Main drive: 160 GB HD, SMART values 'Good/Healthy"

Seagate ST3160021A, divided into two volumes:

Vol C: 128 GB, 95-100 GB used (avg), 33-25 GB free (avg). I try to never let it get below 18% (or 25 GB) free.

currently today it is 97.0 GB used, 30.9 GB free as per Windows Explorer.

this has the OS and User files and programs.

No disk compression, though indexing is turned on.

and,

Vol D: 21 GB, 15-18 GB used (avg), 3-6 GB free (avg). I try to never let it get below 3 GB free.

this is my Downloads folder, where I tend to see most of my file downloading and compressing/decompressing activity.

I defrag this one less often, though it acts the same: if I run Defraggler fragmented files only it defrag relatively well/quickly. But whole drive defrag runs incredibly slow.

And for reference, Auslogics Disk Defrag process the whole drive optimize of the same C drive in about 10-20 minutes, compared to the 24 hours it seems that Defraggler would like to take.

I have allowed Defraggler to process a while, found that after I was away for several hours, it still had 20 hours to go.

So it really is SLOW in the whole drive "Defrag" mode.

Hope this helps.

The Universe is intelligent and friendly 8-)

• Moderators

either DF is doing/including something Auslogic isn't or you have something on your PC that most people don't.

as to the first, have you tried running DF with it excluding restore points and the hibernation file. also stop VSS.

for the latter, try doing a DF from Safe Mode

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

either DF is doing/including something Auslogic isn't or you have something on your PC that most people don't.

as to the first, have you tried running DF with it excluding restore points and the hibernation file. also stop VSS.

Or, it could be a bug.

However, have you tried checking the options to disable VSS, & ignore restore/hibernation in options?

Does it still run slow if you do that?

Hi, i like CCCleaener a lot and i tried defraggler out from time to time with a new version beeing released, in hope it gets better one day, but its still the same from the 1st version i tried out till today.

I have the same issues and no matter what pc or what hardware, defraggler is badly programmed, it uses insane much cpu time and seems to do nothing on large hard drives.

It starts and after a short time it says process wil take >1 day. Watching my hard drive led theres seems to be no activity at all, maybe every 10 seconds i can see the led blink but this can also be another progress accessing the drive. And i have tried everything disabled this vss mode and tried it in windows safe mode it doesnt change. Other tools like auslogic, o&o defrag work fine they

are also slow but i can at least see they are working because the hdd led is blinking all the time.

Regards Normi.

I think saying "defraggler is badly programmed" is quite an exaggeration, to say the least... Yes, while I agree it's not the fastest of the batch, it works quite properly.

For most people. Not to say it don't/can't have bugs. Just the other day, was using Defraggler 2.11 on an XP machine & it kept having an error on defrag.

Not sure at the moment what the error was.

Don't have a problem on my machine, or most machines I use. But you find the occasional one that throws it for a loop.

For whatever reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Or, it could be a bug.

However, have you tried checking the options to disable VSS, & ignore restore/hibernation in options?

Does it still run slow if you do that?

Thanks for the reply.

Already have those items excluded.

That is, Options/ Advanced are:

Enable Shell - ON

Show folder index entries - ON

Cache analysis data - ON

Use custom fragmentation settings: Exclude Restore point - YES

Exclude Hibernation - YES (which makes no difference as I do not allow machine to use Hibernation)

Stop VSS when defragmenting NTFS - ON.

I do have a bunch of other excluded files/directories of things I don't want moved, or of large files that there is no need to shuffle around.

I suppose I could try to purge all settings, uninstall and reinstall. But how can I restore all the settings that have taken me a loooonnng time to type in (as the excluded files and directories).

As posted elsewhere in forum, my CPU usage for doing the whole drive "Defrag" ranges from 25 to 58% CPU. So Defraggler is doing a lot of 'thinking about' what and how to move each file, it seems.

The Universe is intelligent and friendly 8-)

• Moderators

I suppose I could try to purge all settings, uninstall and reinstall. But how can I restore all the settings that have taken me a loooonnng time to type in (as the excluded files and directories).

In Settings, Options, Advanced, tick the box Save all settings to INI file will do that for you, even all your Excludes.

the INI is kept in Program Files (varies according to 32/64 bit and OS version) in the Defraggler folder.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 3 weeks later...

On mine, I usually disable shell extension & caching analysis data (so it will always start anew).

Do you also exclude large files in Auslogics before a defrag?

If not, wonder if you can re-try Defraggler without them excluded to see if it speeds up or not?

Perhaps export your defraggler.ini file & add it back after trying?

Defraggler is also extremely slow on my system:

System specs: Win7 x64 (fully updated), 16GB Ram, 240GB SSD (60% full), Defraggler v2.11.560, latest Intel AHCI RSST drivers

Last Defrag: Probably never (it's a SSD). I did have some files which were literally fragmented in hundreds of thousands of parts, therefore I wanted to defrag it once (i know you should not defrag SSDs because of wear, please don't lecture me about this - i know what i'm doing).

Defraggler uses 100% of one of my CPU Cores (Core i7-2600k) and is slow as hell. Takes >15 hours for the whole SSD. The hard drive light only blinks occasionally.

The defragmentation is absolutely CPU limited. Not really sure why it should be though. Disk is hardly active at all. IMHO there is quite a significant bug here. Perhaps it doesn't like the Intel RSST Drivers or the version 2.11.560 is buggy in all cases?

When running Microsoft Defrag on the same system, the HDD activity LED is on almost constantly and CPU usage is less than 1/4th of one core.

Defraggler is also extremely slow on my system . . . uses 100% of one of my CPU Cores (Core i7-2600k) and is slow as hell.

No lecture from me, :) only a link. According to exdeath, defragging an SSD is impossible. If true, that may be why Defraggler is challenged.

• 6 years later...

I first downloaded the new version but it was very slow and was told to use version 2.19.982

My god, what a difference!! It is so much faster. I first did a quick scan on a 1TB hard drive which was half full and it took one hour. There was 17 percent fragmention left because of huge files I have. So I next did a normal scan which took an hour and a half to defrag 100GB worth of big files.

My computer is so much faster now, it really made a difference. I love this program!!!

Please note - The fast scan does start off like it takes forever to move up a percentage but the percentage tally will move much faster deep into the scan and so don't worry, it doesn't take 4 hours like the estimation tells you. Not for me anyway but keep in mine, I only had 500GB space filled which was 37 percent fragmented.

On 12/3/2012 at 09:02, AnybodyM said:

Defraggler is also extremely slow on my system:

System specs: Win7 x64 (fully updated), 16GB Ram, 240GB SSD (60% full), Defraggler v2.11.560, latest Intel AHCI RSST drivers

Last Defrag: Probably never (it's a SSD). I did have some files which were literally fragmented in hundreds of thousands of parts, therefore I wanted to defrag it once (i know you should not defrag SSDs because of wear, please don't lecture me about this - i know what i'm doing).

Defraggler uses 100% of one of my CPU Cores (Core i7-2600k) and is slow as hell. Takes >15 hours for the whole SSD. The hard drive light only blinks occasionally.

The defragmentation is absolutely CPU limited. Not really sure why it should be though. Disk is hardly active at all. IMHO there is quite a significant bug here. Perhaps it doesn't like the Intel RSST Drivers or the version 2.11.560 is buggy in all cases?

When running Microsoft Defrag on the same system, the HDD activity LED is on almost constantly and CPU usage is less than 1/4th of one core.

SSD Drives do not need defragmenting!!!  There must be another reason why your computer is running slower. I would suggest a full re-install or revert back to a backup when your computer was running fast. My computer was running slow when I installed malwarebytes premium. The trouble was the real-time web protection. You need to disable this but of course you may not wish to if you are not using another program like Eset to protect you.

• Moderators

A new version? You're respondong to a six-year-old thread, is anyone still running a six-year-old version of Defraggler? I doubt whether the posters are still hanging on for a response, or even still have the same hardware.

• 1 year later...

I am trying to run Defraggler V2.22.995 and it is really slow.  Granted I have a large disk.  It is a 29TB RAID 0 that is only about a third full.  Defraggler says that I have 717 files that are fragmented.  After running for 15 hours it is still only 1% finished and it has not even come up with an estimated time to complete.  I checked the resource monitor and the program is only reading and writing at around 6 KB/s.  At that rate, it will take 52.8 years to defrag the drive.  The disk is capable of reading and writing at about 400MB/s.  That is about 66 thousand times faster than the program is reading and writing.  I have 192Gig of RAM and 2 - 12 core Xeon processors running at 3.2 GHz.  I have turned off VSS and the other advanced options that are recommended to speed up defrag, but that did not help.  I an running Windows 10 Pro 64bit.  Does anybody have any suggestions, because at this rate, it is totally unuseable.

• Moderators

Disks these days are getting very large, so things like defragging the whole disk, wiping free space, or scanning to recover deleted files is going to take a long time.

You can speed that up for defraggler by just defragging the fragmented files and not trying to do the whole disk.

After analyzing the disk: click on 'view files', click the box at the top left to put a check mark next to all the files found, and then click on 'defrag checked'.

That will defrag just the fragmented files and will take minutes instead of hours.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

NO, simply follow what I said above and use defraggler to just defrag the fragmented files.

image.png

image.png

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hi nukecad, I tried to defrag just the top 10 files in the procedure above, and it is going much faster than the full defrag.  The program is reading and writing at 420 MB/s, where in the full defrag, the program was reading and writing at 6 KB/s.  This looks like it is the better way to go.

• Moderators

Good,

Whatever you use to try and defrag the whole of a 29TB disk is going to take hours to do it.

Stick to just defragmenting the files that need it.
(After all, it's not as if you are short of disk space).

• Moderators
On 14/02/2020 at 16:14, Hydrad said:

It looks like the best thing to do is periodically copy everything off the disk, reformat it, and then copy everything back on.  That will get rid of fragmentation and go 1,000 times faster than defragging.

That doesn't always work and can open a can of worms. Case in point I did exactly that on a hard disk and the performance of it afterwards was horrible and nearly unusable. The only solution I had was to use the old discontinued free JkDefrag I had archived locally and play around with the command line to have it sort with "-a 7" which restored the performance on the disk.