Windows 8 packaging

hazelnut

• Moderators

If you ask me, this has to be the most boring packaging for Windows they ever had!!!

It just plain looks like they don't care about selling any copies. What happened to bright, colorful, & appealing?

If Linux/ReactOS keep getting better, & MS worse, look for increased presence of each & a strong battle with MS in future years.

I got my copy of Windows 8 yesterday, via MSDN :)

Was it at least as good as Windows ME?

I think I would have liked Windows ME better, if it was build on the NT kernel.

Outlook Express was simple, things just worked, & it was fast.

You had true DOS & older games play great.

ME needs NT to get rid of destabilization caused by running processes in the same memory space, which caused cross linked files, errors, & system destabilization.

How sad. ME trumps 8.... Packaging was colorful, installation was quick, & it was intuitively laid out... :)

Was it at least as good as Windows ME?

I think I would have liked Windows ME better, if it was build on the NT kernel.

Outlook Express was simple, things just worked, & it was fast.

You had true DOS & older games play great.

ME needs NT to get rid of destabilization caused by running processes in the same memory space, which caused cross linked files, errors, & system crashes.

How sad. ME trumps 8.... Packaging was colorful, installation was quick, & it was intuitively laid out... :)

Personally, I really like Windows 8, and my next computer will run it, as will my current laptop. My desktop will remain windows 7 for now.

I plan to build another computer in about 8 months, with current gen windows 8 hardware, to get the gaming performance from DirectX11.1 and compatible hardware :)

it works for XP/Vista/7

Are you sure ?

Your link target reminds me of a Vista imitation GUI that was intended to give my XP laptop a Vista style front end appearance.

It successfully changed the egg timer to a spinning circle.

I quickly decided that I far preferred the original appearance so I uninstalled it.

Results :-

The egg timer never returned, I still had a spinning circle ;

System File Check went ballistic because system DLL's no longer agreed with the manifests,

and the first owner of the Laptop had not been given installation discs when she bought it.

There are different authors, yes, and that may not be the exact one I use.

Some are more skilled than others in pulling off the feat, as it does require intimate knowledge of the guts of an OS to pull of a successful wallpaper, theme, system dll swap, etc.

I would say that successful ones are pulling off what is akin to magic, with their feats of prowess in allowing users to try out features of a newer os whilst still on the old.

I am not sure the one that you may have tried, but also keep in mind that newer versions of what you tried may exist, and sometimes that can solve bugs. Also, inconsistencies in software that you use may have interfered with the older installation you were using, so I have not yet ruled out that possibility.