The Page File

hazelnut

• Moderators

People often wonder what it is, and what it does.

Here is one of those very rare things, an easy to understand explanation with pictures.

http://www.howtogeek.com/126430/htg-explains-what-is-the-windows-page-file-and-should-you-disable-it/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Allot of "tweaks" that people do with it too like either disabling it, or setting it to 2.5x of their installed RAM - well that's what allot "tweaks" sites have. In Win98 I had all sorts of issues using the "tweaks" available, and when starting with WinXP back in 2003 I stopped using any of the "tweaks" and just let Windows manage it.

In my experience, many tweaks from back-in-the-day were done to promote a website or a utility. It has also been my observation that unless you're using your system in unusual circumstances with special requirements for a non-mainstream task then it is best to let Windows take care of itself. And this will only to continue to be more true as time rolls on.

Oft-times these tweaks had sometimes actually fixed a borked configuration for someone, and then got spread around and became an urban legend. If the system had been "right" in the first place, the tweak would not have been published as being a magic bullet for speed-ups.

I, too, have notice that some of those early tweaks tended to destabilize a system. And eventually I ended up reverting or re-installing to a fresh system. In the super early days of the Apple 2 series systems there were indeed genuine tricks and techniques that could provide "ohh-wow" results. Particularly in the use of extra memory or sound generation or disk access. You'd see extra performance right off the bat and didn't need a stopwatch to see an improvement. And a lot of it was because we were doing many things for the first time. It's only natural that a prototype is very conservative and not going to be as ship-shape as a finished product.

What gets me riled up is these gaming settings and network speed-ups booster kits. These are jokes through and through. They do nothing, absolutely nothing. And don't get me started on those optimizing packages and system-speeder-uppers.

In all of the past 10 years and picking through hundreds of shareware and freeware and commercial offerings, I've found maybe 3 or 4 (at best) essential tools that do something to beef up performance. And these are related to system maintenance anyways; and not doing black magic registry stuff.

You win an internetz if you can guess what they are!

• Moderators

@Keatah

I'm guessing it WASN'T BonziBuddy :lol:

The purpose of my link at the top was to help those people to who are too scared to ask about page files on forum in case they appear foolish. Let's face it these days you are supposed to know everything.. they tell you just to google.

However not all sites write about things in easy to understand format and I thought that site did :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Also, a few game optimizers will temporarily pause unneeded system services/processes until you get done gaming, to speed things back up.

Though, if people did not install 50+ programs to load at startup, this also would not be needed.

Edit: Hazel? LOL! I forgot about that purple monkey. I can't find it anymore. Hahahaha! Wow!

• Moderators

Also, a few game optimizers will temporarily pause unneeded system services/processes until you get done gaming, to speed things back up.

I do that with a simple batch script that took all of a few seconds to type in for when I'm encoding videos and during system maintenance.

Something from Piriform, so I'd guess; CCleaner and Defraggler.

One of them is CCleaner, you win an internetz! Collect your prize here -- www.google.com

@Keatah

I'm guessing it WASN'T BonziBuddy :lol:

The purpose of my link at the top was to help those people to who are too scared to ask about page files on forum in case they appear foolish. Let's face it these days you are supposed to know everything.. they tell you just to google.

However not all sites write about things in easy to understand format and I thought that site did :)

When people tell people to google things, its because they either don't have legitimate time to get into a tech discussion, or hope the problem goes away, or don't understand the problem in the first place. Internetz prizes notwithstanding of course.

Though, if people did not install 50+ programs to load at startup, this also would not be needed.

Most processes take up X amount of memory and sit in the background doing nothing most of the time. In today's day and age with 2GB of ram (and more) being standard stuff; there is no need to eliminate and trim those background processes. Most of these processes are small, too, and serve a necessary function.

If you have a process that is noticeably consuming any sort of resource excessively, either memory space or cpu cycles, it is best to ditch it in the first place. Not just as a temporary optimization gig, but for all of time. For it *IS* a defective, errant, processes. But standard stuff, like the background iTunes helpers and services for example - nope - let them be. And you can easily load 50 of them with zero impact on performance.

In all of but the slowest machines short on memory (think 1st generation Pentium, Windows95 and 128MB ram), going through the trouble of eliminating quiescent background processes is a waste of time and does nothing for performance improvement. This is another tweak fallacy aimed at selling optimization utilities or services.

I've tested these game optimizers and found fractions of frame-per-sec improvement, if that. And a lot of instability due to the mucking around they do in the internal workings of the O/S. A properly set-up system, using factory defaults and MS recommended O/S settings will not show improvement with a game optimizer.

An improperly built homebuilt system running all manners of things might show some gains. But then again, this game optimizer thing is now "fixing" what you did wrong, in it's own way, which is not always compatible with all applications.

And this includes page file settings too!

If you have a process that is noticeably consuming any sort of resource excessively, either memory space or cpu cycles, it is best to ditch it in the first place. Not just as a temporary optimization gig, but for all of time. For it *IS* a defective, errant, processes. But standard stuff, like the background iTunes helpers and services for example - nope - let them be. And you can easily load 50 of them with zero impact on performance.

While I agree with you in many of these situations, & also in many of the things that you say, sometimes it does have it's advantages.

Turning off System Restore service (& a few other non-critical ones) may return more memory back to the OS to use. Sometimes 300 MB or more when I am done.

While this is not a biggie to you or a lot of people, it is necessary for systems that have low amounts of RAM, or for people that you cannot tell them that upgrading the RAM for $30 is the best thing you can do. Some people rather run their 1GB system into the dogpile, heat & all, so if you do not take the precautionary steps of whittling things down to a bare minimum to avoid early disposal of their machine due heat issues & overuse of the HDD, it is necessary.

Some do update their RAM, some do not. When forced to choose between the greater of 2 evils, I sometimes must do things such as, for the user's own good.

Some users are like, well, I don't see what's wrong with 1 GB!!! Anything to keep from spending $30 for RAM. Even when I offer to install it for free if they get it.

I sometimes suspect they rather waste $30 on a case of beer.