new Solid State Drives(SSD) are Faster and Cheaper

Nergal

• Moderators

We're often talking about SSDs here so when I came across this article I thought of y'all

http://www.techradar...r-cheap-1101301

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Guest Keatah

I'm not so sure TLC is a good thing. It will reduce reliability and drive up the cost of MLC. Meantime you will need massive overprovisioning and more ECC. Eventually there will be another breakthrough in the market, and we'll come full-circle back to reliable SLC.

http://thessdguy.com/samsung-introduces-tlc-ssd/

Note that TLC is used in disposable products like iPods, GPS, phones, and small memory devices like SD cards and key drives. It is nowhere near any "serious" computing devices.

http://www.micron.com/products/nand-flash/tlc-mlc-and-slc-devices

TLC is going need 3 years to become reliable and respected.

• Moderators

Until I followed those links I was wondering what was wrong with a little TLC.

If you want to talk to your drive, and even give it an occasional caress to make sure it's happy and won't let you down, then what's wrong with that!

You might think I'm not too conversant with SSD, and you could be right. Methinks these things are getting too complicated. I'm happy to stick with my bog standard HD, give it an occasional defrag and the odd kind word and that's it.

You might even call me a dinosaur. :)

Guest Keatah

The complexity is only going to get worse. And TLC based disks have chips that can only be written to 700 times before they go dead. Thus there are extra spares within the disk that come online as it ages.

SSD's are great and all, but the base "flash" technology was intended for use in BIOS chips and stuff that is not constantly being re-written.

Give the industry another 2 or 3 years to sort the bugs out.

• Moderators

in the meantime, it'll be the earlier up-takers of the technology who will make it better for the rest to follow...

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

having just got my first SSD about 2 weeks ago, mainly due to the latest price drop and the fact i was due a 'windows refresh', i have to say, so far so good.

sadly my mobo only has 3gb/s sata port, so i'm losing the 6gb/s potential but still getting 20-25secs startups and 10secs flat shutdowns.

Apps start almost instantaneously.

i've always had a question mark over their longevity (Keatah; you mention the 700 writes TLC chip lifespan) so i shall see...

• Moderators

I don't have an SSD drive, & my startup is about 25 seconds cold boot, & around 10 shutdown.

you must have a decent rig i'm guessing.

as a comparison, i've gone from a shutdown of 30secs on the old HDD to 10secs with the SSD and the 20-25secs startup is from the push of the power button to actually being able to type in Word, which i find quiet amazing.

Mine is around there, although it may take + or - a couple seconds here & there.

@Alan, I usually terminate the browser via X in the corner, before applying shutdown options. If not, Firefox may erroneously believe it suffered a major crash, & both send an erroneous crash report to Firefox developers, & also attempt to reload them all on startup.

Newer versions of Firefox wait till you click a page to load the tab, if it suffers a crash, but that would still be something I rather avoid.

However, when you actually do have a crash, it is very nice to know they are still there!!!