Files not defragmented

Gerry

Certain files are not defragmented namely:

System Volume Information

Hiberfil.sys

Anti-virus log files.

The first two categories results in considerable fragmentation of free disk leading to the early onset of fragmentation.

Why can't a method be devised to resolve this problem.

You're telling me only what is obvious as regards the first two items in the list. Surely this forum is for suggestions on how to improve Defraggler. The ability to defragment these files would substantially improve user control over fragmentation.

It should be obvious that defragging System Volume Information will give no improvement to Defraggler.

The files within that folder are not read unless you are Restoring to a previous Point in Time,

and even then probably far less that 10% of the contents are read and it only takes a few seconds for a once of access.

• Moderators

Actually they're not "telling you the obvious". They're telling you the truth about Windows. Those files, on a running system drive, are locked (including the last item on your list, which is being prevented from being defragmented by your Antivirus program, and should be added to your defraggler exclude list)

While I agree with kroozer that the ticks should be the default, the options themselves are there so a non active system drive can be fully defrag'd.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Gerry,

Have you tried running Defraggler with your PC in Safe Mode?.

A lot of programs don't get started (your AV for example) and those files that would normally be locked should be defragable (is that even a word?)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Although I've been into computers for a while, I'm still a Defraggler newbie. I will run it in safe mode to see whether I can see any difference.

Also, I am still under the impression that boot time defrag is intended to deal with files that are always preoccupied during normal operation. However, I haven't found any way to configure that list.

So many programs to learn. So little time.

John, Wizened Web Wizard Wannabe

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." — Albert Einstein