Show all settings option

Super Fast

I'd love a master CCleaner setup option that shows EVERYTHING that Cleaner supports, so a user can checkmark what they do & don't want to clean, instead of only showing bits & pieces if it is or isn't installed on a user's machine.

I love CCleaner, but that is the primary weakness it has. It can only show what is installed, so a user cannot adjust portable settings on different machines UNLESS it is present on the machine.

If it had a master option under advanced setttings to "Show ALL settings", a user could set everything up beforehand exactly as they want it.

• Moderators

I'm going to do a rare -1 to this suggestion as I think this (while interesting for those of us who frequent this forum) would just end up confusing and angering new users who think everything is better set to advanced. As well, because the program would still need to scan the PC for actually existing programs, I can see this making ccleaner load slower (akin to large winapp2.ini files)

(I've only given -1 to one other idea, drive-wiper, and it was implemented so………)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I don't know if u & I have the same idea in mind, so let me give u an example scenario to see if this is what your thinking of.

_____

Mike decides to set everything like he wants it in CCleaner so he can run it portably.

Mike is using Windows XP. This works fine, until he cleans a computer running Windows Vista.

Mike notices that Vista has a few options that XP does not. So, he has to tick more options to clean that just were not present in XP.

Afterwards, Mike also cleans a Windows 7 PC. A few other options are different than in either Vista or XP, so Mike has to checkmark yet a few more items.

_____

Mike notes that if a user had a mode where all items were laid out visible, he could then set whether that item should be checkmarked by default when CCleaner detects it on a system. Mike notes that a lot fewer mouse clicks would be needed, since each future run would already be set exactly like Mike set it, since he could see ALL the settings & pre-set it how he wants.

This is kinda what I had in mind, but I don't know if it is what you were thinking.

If a user could see all the settings, they could preset items to be automatically checkmarked when found, thus saving mouseclicks, thus saving time.

_____

* Keep in mind, that though this may sound like a -1 for you, you probably also only have a single OS on a single computer. For multi-PC/multi-OS environments, this feature would save a ton of time.

• Moderators

It would be far simpler to just have ccleaner.ini formatted with separate settings for different oses (similar to how CDex works for different ripping drives with different settings available for each individual drive), so that "Mike" wouldn't have such issues - that is if your idea were to be implemented.

It would be far simpler to just have ccleaner.ini formatted with separate settings for different oses (similar to how CDex works for different ripping drives with different settings available for each individual drive), so that "Mike" wouldn't have such issues - that is if your idea were to be implemented.

Depends on how CCleaner does the cleaning.

If CCleaner uses relative paths (Example -> %AppData%\Mozilla), then even though XP, Vista, & 7 folder locations may be different, it will always find the right one to clean.

If CCleaner uses absolute paths, then yes, they would need to sort by OS.

With relative path finding, you can use 1 template across all 3 OS.

• Moderators

I forget who suggested it, but I am very thankful for Drive Wiper, as it helps me quite a bit in certain situations.

What is/was your reason(s) for not liking it?

foreseeing the large number of threads about Drive wiper killed my drive/ate all my space/takes too long that we now get daily

Depends on how CCleaner does the cleaning.

If CCleaner uses relative paths (Example -> %AppData%\Mozilla), then even though XP, Vista, & 7 folder locations may be different, it will always find the right one to clean.

If CCleaner uses absolute paths, then yes, they would need to sort by OS.

With relative path finding, you can use 1 template across all 3 OS.

as you well know it uses relative paths. Also what do you propose for the ccleaner only EV paths. Does your proposal also requires detectOS for each entry? Have you not ever run /export (I find this unlikely as you are so active in winapp2.ini development) the list is large, already I must scroll both tabs a little, this "master mode" would make ccleaner eat a ton of memory just to load-up.

[opinion]

I feel, again, this is a redundant feature compared with /export[/opinion]

Edited by Nergal
grammar and word choice mistakes

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

There are CCleaner users that think erasing free space will allow them more space for storing more documents/music/video.

I suggest they should never encounter a "master CCleaner setup option".

I suggest that only a very small minority of CCleaner users go around fixing many computers,

and these people may be happy to buy/license a PRO version that incorporates this "master CCleaner setup option",

together with other convenience factors such as cleaning all profiles in one go etc. etc. etc.

Nergal - foreseeing the large number of threads about Drive wiper killed my drive/ate all my space/takes too long that we now get daily

True, but a necessary evil to eliminate personal credit card data & other things before giving away a PC.

Some people may be confused at first, but everyone has to grow up one day, & you can't baby them all their lives.

_____

Nergal - as you well know it uses relative paths. Also what do you propose for the ccleaner only EV paths. Does your proposal also requires detectOS for each entry?

Have you not ever run /export (I find this unlikely as you are so active in winapp2.ini development) the list is large, already I must scroll both tabs a little, this "master mode" would make ccleaner eat a ton of memory just to load-up.

I have not had much use (yet) for export.

I note that when though paths may change from XP/Vista/7, that using relative paths would solve much of the search, & would probably not have to have a detect OS for each entry, since probably 99% or more of them have relative path equivalents that will find it regardless of OS version.

True, the list is a bit large, but things could be made much easier.

Grouping is the answer.

Applications | Browsers | Windows -> Applications (All 3rd party apps) Browsers (All internet web browsers) Windows (All Windows areas)

It would not be necessary to load the WinApp entries in the Winapp itself, but only to load under each tab, all the programs for that tab.

For instance, Browsers would have Chrome | Internet Explorer | Firefox | Opera | Safari

It would make it tons easier, since you are only setting the options for all the web browsers under the web browser tab, then apps the same way, etc.

Anyone with a relatively recent PC should not have RAM issues, as the only time you would be running this, is the 1st time to set up the default actions. You could, for example, set CCleaner to not delete cookies for any web browser (since a lot of people have saved passwords & use cookies to remember them, then forget what their passwords are & cannot log back in because the cookies are deleted).

CCleaner would run the same as normal, but when it detected that program on a computer, it would simply load with whatever option you checkmarked for it to be (enabled/disabled) so that you would not have to manually keep checking items every time you switch to a different PC.

The object would not be to get CCleaner to load them all to clean, as I am assuming that is what you think I am meaning, but only to set the default actions the first time. Much like Windows has a Default Programs, only CCleaner could have a default action for a program cleanup when it is called.

_____

Nergal - I feel, again, this is a redundant feature compared with /export[/opinion]

Not really. Export is mainly used for analysis, comparison, and other. This would only be used to set up CCleaner so that all future cleanups on a computer network would be less clicking.

Sure, if you have 1 PC, it may only be 10 extra clicks for u to set up. But if someone had a vast computer network, for example, 2,000 clicks times 10 could add up to 20,000 extra clicks just like that.

I am not saying everyone has 2,000 computers, just that if you switch computers a few times, it does get aggravating a bit, if you see what I mean.

_____

Edit: And it would be ubber handy to be able to delete individual items under a main program that you know you never will be using. Errr, maybe just a disable so that any program/feature in the disabled list will never be loaded or looked for. Then, just like CC allows startup items to be enabled or disabled, a user could always add them back later if they made a mistake.

• Moderators

I switch between many OS' and computers with the same ccleaner, have never needed 10 clicks or even more than 3, for the first time I've run in on a new version of the OS (so 3 clicks every, what? two years).

a'ight I'm going to withdraw my self from this thread, I've made my judgement on the suggestion and would love others to be able to make their own

p.s. I didn't say wiping drives was a bad thing, I said that the inclusion (especially as a non-tools-section clean, though to a point the tools version too) didn't seem to fit with ccleaner (and to this day I still stand by that opinion)

I always need these on a setup, so I guess it is more than the 3 you use.

CCleaner

1) DNS Cache (Always)

2) Font Cache (Not Always)

3) Old Prefetch Data (Always)

4) Menu Order Cache (Always)

5) Tray Notifications Cache (Always)

6) User Assist History (Always)

7) IIS Log Files (Not Always)

8) Hotfix Uninstallers (Not Always)

Registry

9) Untick Missing Shared DLL's (Not Always)

10) Untick Unused File Extentions (Always... Number 1 cause of problems under reg cleaning because programs may take over as default & have nothing associated on uninstall)

11) Active-X & Class issues (Not Always.. Can fix problems, but can also cause problems. But not as much as the above 2 entries)

Advanced

12) Hide Warning Messages (Always)

13) Save Settings to INI File (Always)

14) Only Delete Files in Windows Temp Folders older than 24 hours (Not Always)

15) Add "Run CCleaner" option to Recycle Bin context menu (Always, if not selected at install)

OK, that is 15, not 10. Whew, my fingers are tired, :(

• Moderators

which of those is os specific ? Maybe you should just copy paste your ccleaner.ini to the new computer? Or better yet carry the portable with you (and if leaving ccleaner on a clients pc or whatnot copy paste the entire ccleaner folder)

…sorry I know I said I'd pass on commenting any more, sorry

I had actually thought of exporting the .ini for XP/Vista/7 & merging the different entries.

Or, run CCleaner portably on a flash drive under XP, then Vista, then 7 & ensure the entries I need are all there.

Trouble is, some entries only show when they are present. Say, Hotfix Uninstallers.

Now, it's all good when u have hotfixes present on your system, but if you don't? It doesn't show up... :(

I never use hotfix un-installers (mostly) because they tend to break other existing hotfixes upon removal. Although they may not, they also may.

So much for showing them on a system that doesn't have hotfixes (yet) on it, huh?

Guess there goes my idea of making it work for all 3 OS properly...

• Moderators

hotfix installers shows on all XP machines ;)

darn-it-I-keep-stopping-stopping

• 3 weeks later...

hotfix installers shows on all XP machines ;)

True.... If they have any installed. Some clean installations may not have them (yet). (Example)

This is the problem I am having.

CCleaner hides certain entries, unless it detects them. So, setting up CCleaner on a "clean" machine may look far different than on a "dirty" 1

If a user can see all the entries CC is hiding, they could be pre-configured with whether the user wants them to be cleaned.

Instead of waiting for it to appear on certain configs.

• Moderators

OPen CCleaner.ini Open exported winapp.ini go through the second and make entries in the first.

I think this Idea is explained enough. IMHO it seems like a odd thing to add, but the developers read all threads so go for it.

I'd love for others to sound out

EDIT:

Honestly what you are asking for seems silly. every computer is going to be different, just look through the availables on each computer you run it on. . . honestly any sane user should do that anyhow. . . I can see at no point where the general public would want to have to look through 1000+ entries and an additonal 1000+ if using the community winapp2 file

It may seem silly, if your thinking I want to config everything.

The main parts I want to config, are just the ones under the Windows directories to clean, as some may be present under XP that are not under 7 & vice versa.

By being able to see these at the start, can save all settings to .ini & not have to change them later.