****** Interface

brfghr

THIS screen tells me that when I am hitting "start clean" it will to the stuff on the left.

fdsf.JPG

But instead it is doing all the stuff in the next part also, without telling me.

23.JPG

Now my Session, Cookies and History in chrome i needed for work badly is GONE. THANK YOU!

Edited by Nergal
font removed per forum standard

• Moderators

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Ouch, that sucks, just makes you appreciate a good backup regime.

Old PC saying drummed into me at Uni: backup now, backup often.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

I don't think so; brfghr is using CCleaner 3.13, which was released in November 2011. Never bothered to check the Applications tab in almost one year...?

good catch, I missed that one

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

If the OP had been using this 3.13 version for a year, then why all of a sudden the upset at cleaning the Applications tab? Those options would have been cleaned in previous usages, right?

Well whatever.. Luckily it was just browser history and nothing important like a lifelong photo album. In any case I'm not here to pick on the OP. This is a classic example why backups need to be done before working with *ANY* type of system maintenance software. Well.. Having said that, I've found CCleaner to be among the best and most-stable and clearly thought-out utility of its kind. And I say this with 40+ years of computing experience behind me.

And since this is "for work" data, you can just restore from a backup. You and/or your IT department do perform backups of mission critical data?

Back in the 1960's I quickly learned to keep copies of things that I, well, want to keep! It is a lesson every computer user learns sooner or later. I'm just happy to have learned it back then, that's all.

I don't think the user interface could be changed much here. Other than a warning saying both the left and right columns' items will be cleaned. But that would look awkward. Typically, when a computer presents multiple sections like this, or multiple categories.. but only one "activity" or "do" button.. This single button will typically affect all categories.

It is implied, that by having one single action button, that everything on both lists will be processed.

I mean CCleaner's programmers could make two sets of "Analyze" and two sets of "Run Cleaner" buttons. But is that necessary? I don't believe so.

• Moderators

the interface is fine.

the poor bugger just got caught out like most of us have at some stage.

by simply missing a tick box or not going through the default settings, the program did something he wasn't expecting.

As Keatah says, it may have ticked him off but in the grand scheme of things, there are worse things that can happen.

Life goes on...

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.