2013 AVG Metro color scheme wonks!

Super Fast

Ok, I'll go ahead & say it.

The new 2013 AVG Windows 8 Metro scheme is drab, dismal, & sucks. Tiles in an Antivirus? 2D buttons?

Does anyone else think it blows visually, transitioning from photo realism 3D 32 Bit color to 6 color 2D cartoony tiles?

Am I missing something here?

* It works, yes! It looks weird, yes! It is a step forward to use flat 2D 6 color cartoons? NO!?

• Moderators

You already know I've mentioned not liking how it looks at all, it's like they've taken several steps back with that Metro UI design whereas the old 2012 was very useful and good looking. I find it amazing they didn't retain the 2012 GUI for people that would like to use it.

Must be honest here and say that as far as security software goes I don't care much about how visually appealing it looks, it just has to work.

Then by all means please hunt down some AVG 2013 screenshots and have a look at it. It isn't only how it looks though, it actually makes it more of a pain to use which was why AVG 2013 was only installed about one hour on my system before I switched to MSE.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't even aware that there is now an AVG 2013 until you mentioned it here. I'm happily using AVG 2012 Free on my Windows 7 right now. One of me mates and I were just discussing AVG earlier today because he was having doubts about his choice of antivirus software.

And when I Googled for images of it, I said to my mind, what the hell? Have they gone crazy and thought this design is gonna work? I'm annoyed by the Metro interface on Windows 8 on the Desktop and this adaptation made by AVG just blows the UI and would baffle some users. Seems that the makers of AVG are Windows 8 fanboys.

Hazel's got a point. What's important is that it works but AVG 2012's design looked neat, modern and eye-friendly. That would at least contribute to how people would like it. They should have just stick with that but with the new underlying improvements behind the hood.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

• Moderators

It needs a lighter colour scheme. Other than that, it looks absolutely fine. And seriously people, how much time do you actually spend looking at the main UI of your antivirus program?

The colour was too dark in the 2012 version too, on some laptops if the screen wasn't nearly vertical it looked jet black.

The looks of something is all of a personal opinion though. For me it was other things along with the looks of it that had me leave AVG behind. But at least AVG doesn't leave many systems unbootable like I've seen in Avast v7.0.

It needs a lighter colour scheme. Other than that, it looks absolutely fine. And seriously people, how much time do you actually spend looking at the main UI of your antivirus program?

A lot. Every time I set it up or uninstall it, or update the virus definitions, or run the manual scans...

Errr, when it's butt ugly, any time you look at it is too many. Older versions looked at least presentable. 2D cartoony drawings can't realistically be called "graphics".

What's next? Black & white pencil drawings? -> They are almost there! Except it's in color. Barely. Solid colors...

The neatness of the UI's design can help people like it even though they may not spend a lot of time looking at it. I prefer the light colors of AVG 2012 over the dark background on AVG 2013.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

• Moderators

Perhaps Avast v7.0 is the ultimate protection - no malware can enter an unbootable system :)

:lol: Your logic you type in some posts like this one gives me a gut busting laugh sometimes. Good one! So no wonder they call it "the best antivirus."