Registry cleaning

tigris

This is my first trial with Cleaner.

In the "Issue Scanning Settings" in the "Active X and Class Issues" I have a large number of entries in the Problem column, most are: ActiveX\COM issue.

In the Registry Key column the great majority are: HKCR..... I would like if its safe to "Fix" these; I have no HKCR in my registry!!Your wisdom is appreciated.

Tks.

• Moderators

HKCR = HKEY_CURRENT_USERS

It's safe to remove what's listed.

However, if you are in any doubt just allow CCleaner to create a backup (you'll be prompted to do so), and save it in a place that's easy to find such as the My Documents folder.

Edit:

To restore/undo CCleaner's registry cleaning just double click the backup .reg file.

• 5 weeks later...

HKCR = HKEY_CURRENT_USERS

It's safe to remove what's listed.

However, if you are in any doubt just allow CCleaner to create a backup (you'll be prompted to do so), and save it in a place that's easy to find such as the My Documents folder.

Edit:

To restore/undo CCleaner's registry cleaning just double click the backup .reg file.

I'm not quite sure if this is the way to thank you for your answer to Tigris January 4, 2006 because I had the name problem. Is it so that new ActiveX/COM issues will be created when I am going to perform operations like the ones that created the current ActiveX/COM issues? In my situation it is mainly about audio operations (CD information from CDDB, editing, ripping and converting etc.). I hope you'll find time to reply for me to get a better understanding of "what's going on"?

With kind regards,

Oldboy

If you do the same things again, the same registry entries will be created again. Windows creates many useless registry entries, that's why the registry needs to be cleaned regularly. If you never clean the registry, you can accumulate literally thousands of unneeded entries, which will seriously impair your computer's performance.

• Moderators

Is it so that new ActiveX/COM issues will be created when I am going to perform operations like the ones that created the current ActiveX/COM issues?

Oldboy

Everyone will eventually get those ActiveX/COM issues, it's unavoidable. Greenknight gave the perfect explaination in the post above!