"remember me" no longer works for site logins

bobbyrae

I used a registry cleaner years ago and had this same problem develop. Before the cleaning, I could check that "remember me" box at various websites so I didn't have to login every single time, and now, after the cleaning, it doesn't matter, I always have to type my username and password even if I checked that box last time.

When the problem occured before (and I don't remember which registry cleaner I used), it went away after a few weeks. I have cleared cache and double-checked the cookies options. I don't think anything has changed. CCleaner defintely seems to have caused this same situation.

Any ideas? Maybe it's not a bug, but then what?

I have WindowsXP and FireFox 14.0.1

• Moderators

Hi bobbyrae.

Which version of CCleaner are you using, and has this just started with either an update of CCleaner or an update of Firefox.

Have you checked out the "Saved Passwords" boxes in the various browser settings in "CCleaner\Applications"? Has one of these become checked for some reason?

And in "Firefox\Tools\Options\Security" is the "Remember passords for sites" box still checked?

I can't think of a CCleaner registry setting which would cause this, but I may be wrong, and that being the case someone will surely put me right. :)

I have been having that problem with Piriform, every since they switched to the new site design.

Fortunately, Cookies to Keep/forum.piriform.com under Options works for me in preventing CC from erasing it.

I am not certain what other sites are affected. It would be very interesting if you could let me know what other sites are affected.

Hi bobbyrae.

Which version of CCleaner are you using, and has this just started with either an update of CCleaner or an update of Firefox.

Have you checked out the "Saved Passwords" boxes in the various browser settings in "CCleaner\Applications"? Has one of these become checked for some reason?

And in "Firefox\Tools\Options\Security" is the "Remember passords for sites" box still checked?

I can't think of a CCleaner registry setting which would cause this, but I may be wrong, and that being the case someone will surely put me right. :)

Version 3.21.1767

Saved passwords box was NOT checked.

Firefox remember passwords checkbox WAS off. I just turned it on. Maybe that was it. I never had to manually turn that on before. I upgraded FireFox shortly after doing the cleaning and the problem was happening before that.

It has been happening on every site. I always check 'remember me' and it never does. I keep doing it in hopes that it will start working again if I do it enough times.

Since I just changed the FF remember setting, I will try logging out of this site and then come back... let's see what happends.

I am pretty sure that the "remember me" box at site logins is different from the FireFox 'remember passwords' function. If you tell a website to remember you, they automatically log you in when they see the same user and IP address, whereas FF is pasting the password for you, regardless of whether or not you have the "remember me" box checked. In fact, FF was completely ineffective in getting me logged in here just now. It is supposedly remembering the password for this site, but I had to type it anyway. I don't get it!

Here's what the Firefox help says:

Note: Some websites offer to keep you logged in by clicking a check box on the site. This is a feature of the website and will work whether or not you have saved your username and password with Firefox.

Sometimes, through multiple consecutive Firefox updates, the profile container is handled differently.

What happens if update to Firefox 15.01, then create a new user & log into that user.

Let Firefox create a new, blank profile for that new user, then see if it will remember your log-in settings.

If it does, problem solved. If it does NOT, we still have a few things to try.

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes, through multiple consecutive Firefox updates, the profile container is handled differently.

What happens if update to Firefox 15.01, then create a new user & log into that user.

Let Firefox create a new, blank profile for that new user, then see if it will remember your log-in settings.

If it does, problem solved. If it does NOT, we still have a few things to try.

Like I said, it really isn't about Firefox. I just upgraded to the latest version and then went to a site I hadn't been to in years. I checked the "remember me" box, but it never remembers. I am not sure what it means to have FF create a blank profile for the new user. If you are suggesting to have FF remember the password, that's not the problem. The problem is that CCleaner has damaged the registry because these sites CANNOT remember me.

One odd thing I have found is that Facebook often thinks that I have around a dozen connections (which I can close) even though it never remembers me when I try to login.

One odd thing I have found is that Facebook often thinks that I have around a dozen connections (which I can close) even though it never remembers me when I try to login.

Are you sure your not infected with redirect trojans, or a hidden rootkit?

It seems strange that you would have so many connections, unless you are infected.

Are you saying you can close the connections, or you can close Facebook?

• Moderators

no the facebook symptoms are because of cookie removal. Each of those connections are a facebook cookie instance

it sounds like you've not correctly set up the cookies to keep, in options, and that you are cleaning cookies

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com