Flickering video issue.

acuriousman

Hello! :D

I've been seeing flickering video in Media Player Classic. It happens fairly frequently and occurs with Windows Media Player as well.

I've used both the latest build of Media Player Classic Home Cinema and the 1.60 version but the problem persists.

I also tried turning on "deinterlace" in the shaders but it didn't help.

Any ideas?

• Moderators

It's possibly your settings or some decoder you have installed causing the issue. Note that it's hard to use VLC as a reference when troubleshooting video problems for the reason being it includes its own plugins instead of possibly using old or buggy codecs already installed on the system.

I have tried messing with V-Sync and different output settings with no success.

Some of the output settings do get rid of the flickering, but result in horrific washed out colors.

Here's an example with "EVR Custom Pres Output" on the left and the "System Default Output" on the right.

Also, that washed out color is EXACTLY how VLC looks for me.

Plus, I have the CCCP codec pack.

b3IZb.jpg

• Moderators

Have you installed or updated any programs around the time this problem started, and does it only happen with one particular file type?

A couple of examples of other software causing the issue, and only with MediaPlayerClassic ...

http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11106&start=0

http://www.krunk4ever.com/blog/2008/11/22/xvid-playback-keeps-flickering/

It sounds like a minor conflict of sorts, or maybe the other possibility of not having the right or best codec for a particular file type.

No, it's been happening ever since I started using MPC-HC. I just went through ever video output and found only the EVR Custom and EVR SYNC have proper colors but with flicker.

Here are my results:

System Default: No flicker, changed colors.

Old Renderer: No flicker, Changed colors.

VMR 7 Windowed: No flicker, changed colors.

VMR 9 Windowed: No flicker, changed colors.

VMR 7 Renderless: No flicker, changed colors.

VMR 9 Renderless: No flicker, changed colors.

Nulls: Do Nothing.

EVR: No flicker, changed colors.

EVR Custom Press: Flicker, perfect colors.

EVR SYNC: Flickers, Perfect Colors

Haali: No flicker, changed colors.

Mad VR: No flicker, changed colors, crashes.

acuriousman, if your having flickering problems, it usually is caused by one of the following:

- Display refresh rate. Try 60 hz, or try upping it to 70 or 75 hz if your monitor supports it. Sometimes that can eliminate flickering that occurs at 60 hz.

- Program settings. Some are hidden under advanced controls, or video settings. Try KMPlayer. It plays nearly anything & has cool features to boot.

- Driver. Update your video driver.

- Speakers (usually on CRT monitors). Move speakers away from your monitor.

- Unstable power. Try APC UPS unit.

- Viruses/malware/low RAM. Remove malware/reset Windows/Upgrade to more RAM.

- Lack of 3D, or running display at settings to high for your (older?) graphics. Update driver, or upgrade to a newer card. If you don't have one, get one.

There are many things that could be wrong, including slow CPU, too many startup items, video card going bad, dust built up causing heat issues...

acuriousman, if your having flickering problems, it usually is caused by one of the following:

- Display refresh rate. Try 60 hz, or try upping it to 70 or 75 hz if your monitor supports it. Sometimes that can eliminate flickering that occurs at 60 hz.

- Program settings. Some are hidden under advanced controls, or video settings. Try KMPlayer. It plays nearly anything & has cool features to boot.

- Driver. Update your video driver.

- Speakers (usually on CRT monitors). Move speakers away from your monitor.

- Unstable power. Try APC UPS unit.

- Viruses/malware/low RAM. Remove malware/reset Windows/Upgrade to more RAM.

- Lack of 3D, or running display at settings to high for your (older?) graphics. Update driver, or upgrade to a newer card. If you don't have one, get one.

There are many things that could be wrong, including slow CPU, too many startup items, video card going bad, dust built up causing heat issues...

I've looked into those and they've all resulted in nothing.

I know it's got something to do with EVR's renderer though, as it plays without flicker in VLC and other renderers within MPC-HC. The "flicker" I'm talking about is a quick darkening/lightening in certain parts of the video.

What we're trying to figure out is how to get the proper color AND eliminate the flicker.

The colors look very washed out in VLC and KMplayer. Unwatchable.

Is there a way to color correct in VLC? Perhaps setup a saveable profile/preset?

When you set up KMPlayer, you will need to go through & choose custom.

Set quality for 3GHZ, because if you choose default selection, it will appear that the video is granular.

After setting it for 3 ghz, the quality is way better.

Also, KM has options & settings for using different renderers as well in their advanced video options.

What I like about KM, is the settings can be saved to a .ini file & used portably.

What is the reason your trying to use MPC?

KM allows you to endlessly look a video if you f5 the starting point, then f6 the ending point.

Plus other great things.

(A lot of the options in KMP appear when you right-click on the KMP window while it is playing)

Hewlitt Packard sent out an e-mail warning a month or so ago about possible defective desktops and laptops that cause flickering and eventually total CPU loss. Do you have an HP desktop or laptop? I do, but I've been lucky so far.

Other things to try:

- Update BIOS (Please only do this if you are familiar with flashing bios's, or have an Uninterruptible Power Supply to connect it to before proceeding).

- Check video settings in the BIOS. Increase to MAX RAM if set on a lower setting.

- Reset your OS... XP & 7 appear to work smoother than Vista.

- Update your video driver. Newer drivers can sometimes fix flicker issues, or color problems.