Applications\Windows\RegEdit

DAE

• Moderators

RegEdit if used incorrectly can destroy installed software, and even critical Windows settings. I typically only delete known leftovers after a program uninstall since many usually leave some settings behind. There's allot of things in the registry that are better left alone. The best tip would be before you go about editing, deleting, or adding anything manually into the registry using RegEdit is to make a known good registry backup using ERUNT, System Restore should also be used.

Unless I'm mistaken, the question is not about RegEdit, but about the CCleaner option Cleaner Settings \ Applications tab \ Windows \ RegEdit.

I would say that if you haven't been using RegEdit, it doesn't do anything. I don't know exactly what it does remove, but I've always had it checked, it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

I imagine Windows creates temp files that save your searches, etc in RegEdit, and it deletes those, but that's just my guess.

• Moderators

Unless I'm mistaken, the question is not about RegEdit, but about the CCleaner option Cleaner Settings \ Applications tab \ Windows \ RegEdit.

Yeah, my mistake. I shouldn't have posted when I was sleepy.

It removes the last opened key/location that was opened in Regedit, this one to be precise (it's in winapp.ini):

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Regedit\LastKey

Yeah, my mistake. I shouldn't have posted when I was sleepy.

It removes the last opened key/location that was opened in Regedit, this one to be precise (it's in winapp.ini):

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Regedit\LastKey

Thanks, that was the original question I had. So, OK that I check it everytime I use CCleaner?? So far I have not checked it while cleaning, so do I have alot of junk built up?

I have never checked this one. What happens if I check it? I have been very cautious with what I check using this cleaner. Maybe I am not using it to its full advantage??

I understand your concern. I agree with Andavari. If you do want to venture more with the program definately make a back up of everything first, ESPECIALLY regedit(registry). Also create a system restore point on your computer.

I recently ran the program for my first time, and every box was checked. After that I was screwed because I didn't have backups. When it comes to your baby (computer), it's better to be safe than sorry. If something in your registry gets erased, but you need that key to run an installed program your computer won't recognize the program without the key. At least that is my understanding at this point.

THE BEST ADVICE EVER IS...BACK IT UP ON A REGULAR BASIS!!! If you take safety procautions, any negative changes don't have to be permenant.

Good Luck!! :D

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Thanks, that was the original question I had. So, OK that I check it everytime I use CCleaner?? So far I have not checked it while cleaning, so do I have alot of junk built up?

It is fine to have that particular item checked always. As Andavari stated, it only removes the details of the last edited registry key.

That is, if you have used RegEdit recently, and re-open it windows checks the location of the last edited key, and conveinently opens Regedit at this location.

If you check this option in CCleaner, then the next time you open regedit it opens at the default location.

Basically, checking or un-checking this option will not harm your computer.

Mr B.