Registry hive corrupted and recovered

mpw101

HP p6-2037c Windows 7 sp1 64bit

Microsoft Security Essentials

CCleaner v3.21.1767 (64bit)

I use CCleaner at least daily. I am getting an error in the Event Viewer system log. I am asking if CCleaner is doing this or if there is some other cause. Here is the error:

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-General

Date: 8/30/2012 11:50:51 AM

Event ID: 5

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords:

User: SYSTEM

Computer: PC-1

Description:

{Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file): '\??\C:\Windows\System32\SMI\Store\Machine\SCHEMA.DAT' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost.

Thank you for your time.

• Moderators

I have been reading your Microsoft thread here

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/event-viewer-showing-registry-hive-recovered-error/b93c1f45-36c4-46d4-987c-964b54b2aa79?msgId=a4531e24-6ed4-4783-9fa8-e0daa000d64e

As regards whether ccleaner was responsible, just uninstall it for a couple of days and see if the error still happens.

Let us know how it goes.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

when you say you're using it daily, Are you only daily junk cleaning or registry too? Do you run winapp2.ini or ccleaner-enhanced? Can you go into options in ccleaner and check off save setting in ini then attach the resulting ccleaner.ini to this thread (you may need to change the extension to txt from ini)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

To: Hazelnut

CCleaner is not on my Start Up list. At the end of a session I double click the icon on my desk top and run it. Just the Cleaner, for routine cleaning of the junk I pick up on the internet. I was really just asking if SCHEMA.DAT was one of the files the cleaner was overwriting and that is why it kept needing to be recovered. I don't know what exact files the cleaner overwrites. I will stop running it for a while and see if the error continues.

To: Nergal

I am just doing routine cleaning with the cleaner. Default settings plus Saved Passwords and Game Explorer and minus MS AntiMalware and MS Search. I only run the registry cleaner when I remove a program which is rare. I don't know what winapp2.ini is. Here is ccleaner.ini.

[Options]

Language=1033

WINDOW_LEFT=375

WINDOW_TOP=159

(App)Autocomplete Form History=True

(App)Saved Passwords=True

(App)Game Explorer=True

(App)MS AntiMalware=False

WINDOW_WIDTH=1134

WINDOW_HEIGHT=637

WINDOW_MAX=0

UpdateKey=08/26/2012 12:58:42 PM

MSG_CONFIRMCLEAN=False

(App)Sun Java=True

Exclude1=REG|HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.sg2

BackupDir=C:\Users\Public\Documents

(App)MS Search=False

• Moderators

I found the file (searched schema) nor the location SMI\Store\Machine (or it's variants) in neither the system nor application tab

(you can look for yourself by copy/pasting this into command line

"c:\program files\ccleaner\ccleaner64.exe" /export

replace c:\program files\ccleaner with the locaton of ccleaner64.exe

Note: I can only check Ccleaner.exe (32 bit) so you may want the run that command line to make sure

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

On 23rd August you posted elsewhere

I get this error in the event viewer three or more times a day.

{Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file): '\??\C:\Windows\System32\SMI\Store\Machine\SCHEMA.DAT' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost.

Now you say

To: Hazelnut

CCleaner is not on my Start Up list. At the end of a session I double click the icon on my desk top and run it. Just the Cleaner, for routine cleaning of the junk I pick up on the internet. I was really just asking if SCHEMA.DAT was one of the files the cleaner was overwriting and that is why it kept needing to be recovered. I don't know what exact files the cleaner overwrites. I will stop running it for a while and see if the error continues.

CCleaner is absolutely not guilty of corrupting your registry "three or more times a day" unless you are running CCleaner at the end of a session "three or more times a day".

We just do not know how many sessions are in a day.

You really do not have to run CCleaner every session.

If you do not run CCleaner for a month it still will not drown in junk files.

Just stop running CCleaner and if the errors continue you will have proof that CCleaner is innocent.

In the other forum Hazel linked to you have said that after you "turned the computer on 8/24/2012 6:10:45 AM"

Information 8/24/2012 6:24:20 AM Service Control Manager 7036 None

(The Windows Modules Installer service entered the stopped state.)

Information 8/24/2012 6:24:20 AM Service Control Manager 7040 None

(The start type of the Windows Modules Installer service was changed from auto start to demand start.)

Error 8/24/2012 6:24:19 AM Kernel-General 5 None

({Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file): '\??\C:\Windows\System32\SMI\Store\Machine\SCHEMA.DAT was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost.)

Information 8/24/2012 6:24:19 AM Service Control Manager 7040 None

(The start type of the Windows Modules Installer service was changed from demand start to auto start.)

You also said a similar sequence at around 7:03:50

It seems obvious to me that the problem commenced when SOMETHING chose to switch W.M.I. service to auto start,

and as a result the registry hive was found to be corrupt, and a recovery ATTEMPT was made at 6:24:19

(I said ATTEMPT because in my experience what Windows promises is not always fulfilled)

and one second later the W.M.I. service was STOPPED.

During the same session, without any CCleaner involvement,

an identical sequence of cause and event occurred from 7:03:50 AM to 7:03:51 AM.

CCleaner is totally innocent of this second sequence,

My conclusion is that you either have something else happening between 6:24:20 AM and 7:03:50 AM that corrupted your registry,

OR ALTERNATIVELY Windows FAILED to correct your registry when it so attempted at 6:24:19 AM;

it only said it was recovered because it did not realize that Windows was broken and might need to be re-installed.

It may well be that something is wrong with your Windows update system / scheduling

To: Nergal

If you are saying CCleaner does not clean C:\Windows\System32\SMI\Store\Machine\SCHEMA.DAT , then that answers my question. I knew it cleaned Index.dat files so I wondered if it was also cleaning schema.dat file. Now I know I am not causing the corruption by overwriting the file when I run CCleaner. That is really all I was asking. If I understand your reply, I am not. Thank You.

To: Allen_B

I was not accusing; I was asking. For example, if I check MS Search in CCleaner, the next time I start my computer I get string of errors in the Event Viewer about "Search Index" and then it is restored. I wondered, if CCleaner was cleaning SCHEMA.DAT, maybe the same thing was happening and it was nothing to worry about. It is supposed to happen because I cleaned it. Now I understand CCleaner is not cleaning it and something else is corrupting SCHEMA.DAT.

I agree it seems to be related to "The start type of the Windows Modules Installer service was changed from demand start to auto start". Unfortunately HP thinks it may be a bad motherboard or processor because this same Kernel-General seems to be involved when the fan on my computer sometimes comes on loud (racing) when I turn it on in the morning. A simple restart fixes it and the fan sound is normal and quiet. It is the loud fan that started this whole thing and caused me to discover the Kernel-General error.

I was just hoping it was something simple that I was doing myself, unknowingly, so I did not have to send my computer to HP for two weeks to find out what is wrong.

I was trying, badly apparently, to explain to Hazelnut that I did not think I needed to completely uninstall CCleaner as it is not in the startup list and could not be causing any problems at start up. I open it when I use it from the desktpo icon.

Finally, I turn my computer on in the morning and off at night. In between I am on and off the internet many times surfing the internet. My previous habit was to always clean before turning the computer off and depending on the amout of surfing I might clean it during the day as well.

Hope this clears all issues up for you.

• Moderators

mpw101 the error message ''The start type of the Windows Modules Installer service was changed from demand start to auto start'' seems to have lots of different causes (and supposed fixes) when I googled it.

I also read your HP forum thread, what a terrible experience for you, and such a lot of money for no help at all really.

http://h30434.www3.h...up/td-p/1525155

Good luck in you quest of fixing your issue, please let us know what happens won't you?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com