Scheduled Cleaning of Unnecessary Files

mdjonson

I'm new to this forum, so pardon me if this has been suggested before. I run regular automatic backups, and would find it useful to be able to schedule an automatic deletion of temporary files, browser cache files, and so on before the backup starts. I don't know how difficult this would be to implement - perhaps it could be a feature for the Pro version only. Would anyone else here find this useful also?

+1

I like the idea, & it would be very useful to me.

I know there is already "Run CCleaner" on both shutdown & startup, but sometimes I do not feeling having it always run whenever I reboot.

I quite think it would be much better to be able to schedule CCleaner to run once a:

- Day

- Week

- Month

It would save wear on the drive & only run CCleaner when I really need it to.

:)

I found out after starting this thread that there are instructions in the CCleaner How Tos on the documentation page on how to use Windows Task Scheduler to accomplish most, if not all, of this. However, I still think it would be nice if there could be a wizard in CCleaner itself to make the task easier to set up. Something like what Norton Ghost has for scheduling would be ideal in my opinion. MalwareBytes has its own scheduling setup too. Maybe these are just front-ends for Windows Task Scheduler? If so, it might be relatively easy to implement.

• Moderators

Some backup programs allow for running another program before beginning a scheduled backup. Also if using a batch file to make the backup you could still have CCleaner automatically run.

The command to use would be:

CCleaner.exe /AUTO

Personally I do this with my batch file that makes backups.

I have used a BAT script to firstly run CCleaner and wait for completion and then to run a backup.

I guess the BAT script could be launched on a schedule - but I am NOT prepared to be dictated to by a machine :rolleyes:

When I have started I WILL FINISH what I started and only then do I launch my script.

• Moderators

I believe this was brought up a long time ago as a suggested feature.

Whereas Defraggler is unlikely to cause issues CCleaner is another matter altogether for instance if it automatically cleans during an installation you're doing that has unpacked into the Temp folder, or a software installation that needs to finish on reboot all of a sudden having it's required files deleted. Just saying!

In addition to %TEMP% folders,

there may be alternative locations for essential run-once installation files,

e.g. taken from an earlier WinApp2.ini Version: v1.0.120206

[DisplayFusion*]

LangSecRef=3024

Detect=HKCU\Software\Binary Fortress Software\DisplayFusion

Default=False

FileKey1=%AppData%\DisplayFusion|DisplayFusion.log

FileKey2=%AppData%\DisplayFusion|DisplayFusionSetup.exe

I find that there are 19 separate *.exe files that WinApp2.ini v1.0.120206 targets for removal.

I consider it :-

bad practice to run CCleaner before shutdown if you have installed something that may need a reboot ;

utter folly to run CCleaner whilst installing or updating software ;

an open invitation to disaster when installing or updating if a scheduled CCleaner purge may occur.

• Moderators

If CCleaner were to prompt a scheduled cleaning wouldn't run automatically which would defeat the purpose of someone wanting to have CCleaner automagically run by itself, and if that were the case it would be far easier to just go back to running CCleaner manually.

This dicussion is going nowhere, so I'll bow out of it now.

I still think scheduled cleaning would be awesome.

CCleaner would need to have a few special settings:

1) Auto-ignore open web browsers (No prompt to close)

2) Auto check that "never delete files unless they are 24 hours old or older " setting of CCleaner.

Scheduled CCleaner would result in inferior cleaning unless you add a few more special settings such as :-

3) Auto-Run and clean-up after Web-Browsers have closed

4) Auto-Run to delete the files that have just become 24 hours old or older.

Let me elaborate a bit - I run my PC 24/7, and my scheduled backups take place at around 5:30 a.m. I am not going to be installing anything at that hour. Anyway, it seems to me that the arguments above against scheduled cleaning should apply equally to manual cleaning - who is going to know what files a particular installation needs or where they are located? If you don't reboot when needed, a manual cleaning is likely to be as dangerous as a scheduled cleaning. Also, if scheduling cleaning is so much more dangerous, why does Piriform include instructions on the web site on how to schedule cleaning? The suggestion is just to make scheduling cleaning a little bit easier to set up. Appropriate warnings could be included to insure that people are aware of the potential for problems, if Piriform thinks that is necessary.

Anyway, it seems to me that the arguments above against scheduled cleaning should apply equally to manual cleaning - who is going to know what files a particular installation needs or where they are located? If you don't reboot when needed, a manual cleaning is likely to be as dangerous as a scheduled cleaning.

If the user is told to reboot after an installation then it is HIS responsibility if he disregards instruction and does his own thing.

Manual cleaning is NOT as dangerous as scheduled cleaning because when a user is running any M.S. or third party "Office" type software and editing / updating documents,

he is unlikely to pause and launch CCleaner and lose the temporary auto-backup files that might still be needed for an UNDO operation.

Scheduled cleaning however may strike out those auto-backup files regardless of whether they might still be needed.

Manual cleaning is NOT as dangerous as scheduled cleaning because when a user is running any M.S. or third party "Office" type software and editing / updating documents,

he is unlikely to pause and launch CCleaner and lose the temporary auto-backup files that might still be needed for an UNDO operation.

Scheduled cleaning however may strike out those auto-backup files regardless of whether they might still be needed.

Well, it doesn't have to be this way. Look at Microsoft Security Essentials' settings - there is a setting for "Start the scheduled scan only when my PC is on but not in use." I see no reason why a scheduler can't incorporate similar logic but without the option to turn this off, or with an option but with appropriate warnings. I don't know how much work would be involved, however, and since I can accomplish what I want without a built-in scheduler, it may be a moot point.

Well, it doesn't have to be this way. Look at Microsoft Security Essentials' settings - there is a setting for "Start the scheduled scan only when my PC is on but not in use." I see no reason why a scheduler can't incorporate similar logic but without the option to turn this off

To do this would probably require CC to run in the background to monitor and determine when the P.C. is not in use.

To do this would probably require CC to run in the background to monitor and determine when the P.C. is not in use.

Maybe it depends on what the conditions & rules are.

I.E. after 5 min of inactivity, etc., perhaps Windows could handle that?

At any rate, manual scheduler setup is possible, complete with helpful instructions. Why not just make it simpler to implement? :)