SpywareBlaster 3.5

TwistedMetal

"SpywareBlaster", heh who in the marketing division came up with that name? :P

Might aswell have named it "Super SpywareBlaster XP Turbo Plus"!

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

SpywareBlaster 3.5.1 has been released.

I clicked the link within SpywareBlaster that stated there was a new version, and noticed some info about installing a new version, it's recommended to:

1. Run your currently installed version of SpywareBlaster and select Disable All Protection

2. Uninstall the version you have installed.

3. Install the new version.

SpywareBlaster v3.5.1

Jan 1, 06

ChangeLog:

• Minor Fixes
  • Few additional tweaks

ChangeLog | Download

1.) Open SpywareBlaster and press the "Disable All Protection" link under "Quick Tasks".

2.) Close SpywareBlaster.

3.) Go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the entry named "SpywareBlaster v3.4"

4.) Download the latest SpywareBlaster installer from the link above and run it.

In previous version 3.5:

SpywareBlaster 3.5

Jan 1, 06

ChangeLog:

•  
  • SpywareBlaster Turbo-Update Technology: Faster and more frequent updates

• Various feature and protection enhancements

• Further optimizations to certain parts of the program

• And lots of other bug fixes and requested tweaks

• This 3.5 release provides enhanced updating, performance, and bug fixes.

NEW UPDATING OPTIONS IN SPYWAREBLASTER 3.x

SpywareBlaster still offers the built-in Check for Updates feature. This feature is completely free and allows you to keep up-to-date by clicking on a button in the SpywareBlaster interface.

SpywareBlaster 3.5 now offers SpywareBlaster AutoUpdate - a brand-new updating solution. Just set it up, and AutoUpdate will check at every system boot for the latest updates and enable the newest protection (other options are available).

As much as we would like to provide auto-updating functionality for free, costs are simply too great to make it feasible. AutoUpdate functionality is $9.95 (US) per year, which helps to cover the bandwidth costs. The Check for Updates function remains completely free, as does SpywareBlaster. You only need to pay if you wish to have the extra convenience of AutoUpdate.

Enjoy! 

Best regards,

-Javacool

ChangeLog | Download

Do I have to uninstall 3.4 first ?

Yes you do follow this:

1.) Open SpywareBlaster and press the "Disable All Protection" link under "Quick Tasks".

2.) Close SpywareBlaster.

3.) Go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the entry named "SpywareBlaster v3.4"

4.) Download the latest SpywareBlaster installer from the link above and run it.

You can install overtop of the old one; works just fine.

25863[/snapback]

No its not...it can cause problems with SpywareBlaster...as it say here by javacool to do a clean install(the creator of spywareblaster) or you can follow mine which are above:

We recommend following a clean install process.

If you have never downloaded the desired program before, you can skip the first four steps below (start with "Reboot").

If you already have an old version of the desired program:

* Close the program and any related programs (e.g. SpywareBlaster? and SpywareBlaster AutoUpdate Configuration)

* Open the Control Panel (click on "Start" in the bottom left corner of your screen, then click on "Control Panel")

* Open "Add/Remove Programs"

* Search for the program entry (e.g. SpywareBlaster) and uninstall it.

* Reboot.

* Before running any other programs, download the desired program (e.g. SpywareBlaster).  Download sites can be found here:

www.javacoolsoftware.com/downloads.html

* Run the installer.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.info/kb/idx/14/013/article/

On WinXP rebooting isn't even necessary since all of SpywareBlaster get's removed; just log off then logon again and install.

25871[/snapback]

You dont even have to reboot, its actually optional....

Regardless, of whether or not it worked for individuals, the listed installation procedures are given to prevent any possible chance of error occurring. It's the same reason that most installers ask you to close out all other applications before continuing. Most of the time, you can keep apps running in the background while you install a new program with absolutely no consequences, and no prompt to restart your computer. But there is always the potential that something could go wrong if the process is not done exactly the way the directions show.

Obviously it worked just fine for Tarun, but when Ultimate Predator did it the same thing, it didn't work. Most likely, if Ultimate Predator had turned off the protection and uninstalled first, everything would have worked fine. The method listed by Javacool is the foolproof method, not the express method.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

• Moderators
From Javacool himself  Link

25911[/snapback]

Maybe I read things differently than others!

You can simply install 3.5.1 over-the-top, if you have already downloaded and installed 3.5. (No need to disable protection, uninstall, etc.)

He however didn't state that 3.5.1 could be installed over 3.4!

To each their own, it's up to you guys to install the way you want to however I followed the instructions given in the URL link from the SpywareBlaster updater which can be read again by viewing this post by Brandon.

I was under the impression we were talking about installing either 3.5 or 3.5.1 over top of 3.4, in which case, I believe you should turn off the protection and uninstall 3.4 first. If you are going from 3.5 to 3.5.1, Javacool says this is not necessary.

ding, ding!

I installed 3.5 over 3.4 and worked fine while others had problems and then installed 3.5.1 over 3.5 without turnningoff any protection even custom blocking remain. Am I suppose to uninstall first and WHY. Thanks

To the best of my understanding, items have to be turned off and uninstalled because the running components are the ones that have to be updated. This is the same reason that a lot of installers ask you to close all other programs before running them. If a component that has to be reinstalled or updated is still running, obviously it cannot be changed until it is stopped or removed.

So, when it comes to SpywareBlaster, the components run in the background. These are the components that have to be updated, so of course they must be stopped first. As far as the uninstallation goes, I don't know if that is necessary, but it certainly can't hurt.

Evidently the newest versions of SpywareBlaster stop their own running processes automatically, so that you don't have to do it manually every time you update. It's one of those things were you go, "why didn't they come up with this sooner?"

ding, ding!