Recuva improvements

Willy2

Suggestions for Recuva (RC):

In the "General" window. (Under "Options")

- Add an option "Don't show unrecoverable files". Since these files are "unrecoverable" what's the point of showing them at all everytime ? Perhaps it's possible to get rid of files entries by overwriting the directory entry (and the MFT ?).

- Add an option "Enable secure overwriting/deletion" that's placed right above the "Secure overwrite" options.

- Add a button to the main screen of RC that enables the user to switch off and on the "Advanced Mode" (AM). In the current situation the user can switch on the "Advanced Mode" but it can't switch off the AM.

- Improve the memory management of RC. On my laptop with Win 7, RC ("recuva64.exe", according to Task Manager) can occupy some 290 Mb when it has analyzed a drive. But after analyzing a drive, that memory usage doesn't go down at all. I know Cleanmem can reduce RC's memory usage down to below 1 Mb. Perhaps there's a good reason for this behaviour ?

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

• Moderators

- Add a button to the main screen of RC that enables the user to switch off and on the "Advanced Mode" (AM). In the current situation the user can switch on the "Advanced Mode" but it can't switch off the AM.

That is one area of it that seriously needs attention as your suggestion details!!!

• Moderators

Don't show unrecoverable files - OK as an option I guess, but I wouldn't use it. It depends on how Recuva interprets 'unrecoverable'. I would want to see all files and then see what state they're in. All data is recoverable, after all.

Enable secure overwriting - I don't know what is meant by that. Any Recuva overwriting is secure so it's always enabled. There already is the option to overwrite, which, ipso facto, is secure.

Switch to Wizard from Advanced - at first this looked like a good idea, but then it didn't. Advanced is an expansion of the Wizard results, what would be gained by reverting to the Wizard view? You can re-run the Wizard in two clicks from the Options box if you really want to. Perhaps in the drop-down Scan box there could be an additional choice of Run Wizard. No sane person who has switched to Advanced Mode would ever want to go back to the Wizard!

Improve memory use - yes, but I've no idea about Recuva's internals.

• Moderators

You can re-run the Wizard in two clicks from the Options box if you really want to.

I remember some of us wanted a quicker way to return back to the Wizard instead of closing Recuva and re-opening it, the feature we got wasn't exactly anymore convenient than closing and re-opening, it was more like "here you go now hush." It's still faster for me to close Recuva and re-open it. Just saying.