Windows directory to add to cleanup

nolme

Hi,

I've downloaded the latest version with all options activated and some folders were not cleaned :

%WINDIR%\SoftwareDistribution\Download : Contain Windows Update download directory

%WINDIR%\PreFetch : Windows File Prefetcher

%WINDIR%\$hf_mig$ : Windows Update folder

%WINDIR%\$NtServicePackUninstall$ : Windows Update folder

Vincent

There's a winapp2.ini cleaner for the SoftwareDistribution folder:

%WINDIR%\SoftwareDistribution\Download

This directory is not safe to clean:

%WINDIR%\$hf_mig$

CCleaner already cleans prefetch under:

Advanced - Old Prefetch Data

Thanks,

I've posted on the good topic.

Thanks for hf_mig information.

(Everybody can read this article which describe much more :

http://blog.ryantadams.com/2008/02/21/what-is-hf_mig-and-can-i-delete-it/)

Vincent

• 6 months later...

I have a Dell website server with over 150 customers. It is running 2003 Server SP2 with a 300GB RAID. It arrived from Dell with a 12Gb C: partition, and a 280GB D: partition.Over the years it has accumulated over 2.2 GB of "$hf_mig$/KBxxx" folders. This is causing my C: storage to reach critical diminishing point and I in deparate need of good ideas because shutting down 150 customers while you spin up a server with more capacity in not really an option. Yes, I have read all the Microsoft "expert" articles, but they are all conjecture and say "disk space is so cheap, just upgrade". Disk is cheap, but over a hundred grumpy time-critical customers are not. This is an expensive issue, and I am sure shared by many other website server companies.

I found a great article on $hf_mig$ files and folders at www.pagestart.com/hfmigpart1.html which better describes how some these folders and files can be safely be deleted as they are redundant. I think cCleaner should investigate this. I know it might free up another GB or so. I already have aged off all the $NtUninstallKXxxxx and KBxxxx/update/update.exe files per this website. I wish I could contact the website author-expert!

In addition I note the KBxxxx-IE8 updates are about 60MB each - it would seem that this size indicates a "reload whoile program" method if updating, rather than "hot fix" application. Any what have any KBxxxx-IE7 updates at all???

Any help appreciated, and please contact me privately at duncan at air base 1.com - concatenated of course.

• Moderators

I think cCleaner should investigate this. I know it might free up another GB or so. I already have aged off all the $NtUninstallKXxxxx and KBxxxx/update/update.exe files per this website. I wish I could contact the website author-expert!

CCleaner used to be able to nuke that folder until asked by Microsoft to stop that ability because people were having serious issues trying to install Windows Updates. While the developers read the comments I seriously doubt they'd enable cleaning in there again.

Every now and then someone asks for CCleaner to deal with the $hf_mig$ folder however it is not safe to clean regardless of what "experts" say that don't work for Microsoft.

On my XP Home +SP3 system I copied that folder and its contents to another partition,

then renamed the original folder and put in its place a folder junction that connected to the copy.

XP continued to work - it did not know the difference, so I deleted the renamed but original folder with its contents.

The relocated $hf_mig$ contents continued to grow on the other partition as the Microsoft updates progressed.

I never had any problems as a result of my action.

I did not have 150 users ready to phone and complain about down time.

It would have been much worse for me.

I was I.T. support for one person - my daughter :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: