An Unexpected Error has occurred in CCleaner

ChilliP2012

Installed Vacuum places improved. Exited Firefox and just before I ran CCleaner, I ran Process Explorer, just to make sure there was nothing Mozilla related running. Ran CCleaner and it crashed. Process Explorer Log attached & dmp file from latest crash can be found here

System Idle Process(preCClean).txt

What about a complete fresh install of Firefox? My bookmarks were taken from a backup of my bookmarks on my old laptop before it got stolen, via Firefox Sync.

Ha ha ha, oh my God! I almost didn't do it, I almost didn't do it! I thought, is this in bad taste? But you know what, I went for it. I went for it and I'm so glad I did! Ooooh, worth it, totally worth it.

• Moderators

Well. . . I'm at a loss unless one of your security product (like SuperAnti or MSSE) is blocking the cleanup

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

It's not Super Anti Spyware as I've only installed that in the last few days and the errors with CCleaner have been dragging on for a while now. I can't see it being MSSE either as I've never had any issues before running CCleaner along with MSSE. It is an odd one, but I'm pretty sure that this started after a Firefox update a while back. I might unistall Firefox and go with Chrome for a few days (I never, ever use IE9) just to see what happens. In the mean time, I'll wait to see if anyone here has any other ideas.

Thanks for all your help so far. :)

Ha ha ha, oh my God! I almost didn't do it, I almost didn't do it! I thought, is this in bad taste? But you know what, I went for it. I went for it and I'm so glad I did! Ooooh, worth it, totally worth it.

Well, I've established it is definitely something to do with Firefox. I completely uninstalled Firefox and removed anything to do with Mozilla/Firefox from my laptop. I then installed Chrome. Ran CCleaner a good few times and no crashes. I then re-installed Firefox with the basics (no extensions, add-ons) and CCleaner ran fine on the one occasion (probably should of tested it a few times). CCleaner ran fine with no errors. I then imported my old bookmarks & passwords and added my only 2 extensions Ad Block Plus & RoboForm. Ran CCleaner and it crashed with the same error.

I'd stick with Chrome, but I really don't like it and I never use IE. So, I'm at a loss now. I may try removing all add-ons and adding them one by one just to see if it's not an issue with one of them. I have a funny idea it maybe RoboForm. I was going to do a total format and re-install, but that's going too far and may not resolve the issue.

• Moderators

no need, the issue is roboform, as it is still running when you cleaned in the earlier posts in this thread; there's probably a Mozilla hook into the history the the roboform bg process is using.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I thought as much. Might just have to ditch Roboform completely. I did remove them one by one as stated above, so still got the errors and that was after RoboForm was removed. Is this one the devs can look into at all?

Roboform shares your passwords between Firefox and Internet Explorer.

What an unholy alliance :angry:

I cannot help thinking it might use an always running service to enable it to detect which browsers are running,

and whether uninstalling Roboform is absolutely certain to remove that service.

It might be worth using AutoRuns from SysInternals. What it found amazed me.

I just ran a CCleaner after exiting the process for RoboForm in the systray and guess what? No error at all! No issue with IE as it's totally uninstalled from my laptop.

I cannot help thinking it might use an always running service to enable it to detect which browsers are running,

and whether uninstalling Roboform is absolutely certain to remove that service.

It might be worth using AutoRuns from SysInternals. What it found amazed me.

I will run that, thanks. You're probably right as just before I exited RoboForm from the systray, it tells me exactly what I'm running including uTorrent, which isn't part of Firefox. I think we may have nailed it here. I was trying hard to think whether this issue occured around about the same time I started using RoboForm and I think it may of been the case. Just on the off chance, can anyone recommend a good alternative to RoboForm that wouldn't cause this issue? TIA