Keyboard goes berserk after using CCleaner for a couple weeks

Hey folks,

Weirdest bug I've ever seen...

If I use either of the last two builds of CCleaner (as of July 21) - in their default setting as when app is installed - for ten days two weeks or so, the weirdest thing happens: The right side of mu keyboard goes nuts.

For example.of I try and type the letter "u", I'd get the number "9". Or, typing "P", I'd get the "(" sign. etc.

I have not tried, nor will I, to create the correlations between typed keys and what actually shows up on the monitor. Only the right side of the keyboard is effected. Typing a "T" gets me a "T", typing an "F" gets me "F", etc.

Furthermore, this occurs only within the account who am I currently logged in on's profile - NOT when, for example,I do a "Run as Administrator" - then typing is as normal when I submit my admin logon and password in the popup window, which works fine. Just the currently logged in as profile is affected.....

What I do to get around this is I simply create a new user and move my docs and stuff over to that user, and then I am fine - for as long as I don't CClean...

I have Windows7 Ultimate 32 bit, and a generic laptop.

Anyone else have this happening to them? If so, can you sound in?

Thanks!

Eric

• Moderators

Are you cleaning the registry? If so perhaps it is changing the value of the preload keyboard key for some obscure reason.

An old link here but still some relevance for Win 7 I would think

http://www.easydesksoftware.com/keyboard.htm

Another remote possibilty is that some software you have uses hotkeys and ccleaner cleans that software and therefore interferes with the keyboard

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Are you cleaning the registry? If so perhaps it is changing the value of the preload keyboard key for some obscure reason.

An old link here but still some relevance for Win 7 I would think

http://www.easydesks...om/keyboard.htm

Another remote possibilty is that some software you have uses hotkeys and ccleaner cleans that software and therefore interferes with the keyboard

Hi Hazel,

I attaching screen shots of my setup for CCleaner...

Yes, I've selected all registry clean options as well. Maybe I should deselect Fonts?..

I tell you, this is a weird one!

Eric

post-3484-0-52515300-1342972750_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Registry cleaning can sometimes have strange consequences, it is best left alone unless you absolutely know what you are doing.

Does the keyboard ''strangeness'' only happen when you do a registry clean?

Are you making a backup of the registry items cleaned when Ccleaner offers you the chance to do so?

If yes, what happens if you merge the entries back?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

El, additionally, you should always uncheck the registry section marked Unused File Extensions.

This one entry causes more problems than anything else.

And, as Hazel stated, do NOT run reg clean without knowing what your doing. You are likely to mess things up.

Hi Hazel and Super Fast,

Question: has CCleaner been changed whereby now cleaning the registry can cause adverse effects?

I've been using the product FOR YEARS, and WIn7 since pre-release,,and only with the last two builds have I been having this problem...

Anyway, now I remember why I moved on from coding :o

I'll play around with the regclearner part of the app, and will advise.

Thanks!

Eric

Question: has CCleaner been changed whereby now cleaning the registry can cause adverse effects?

Of course it has.

When CCleaner is updated it sometimes may refrain from removing an item that has been "too adventurous" for some users,

BUT I am not aware of an update that has not attempted to clean items it never cleaned before.

When something is removed there is always a risk.

When something new is removed there is always a new risk.

Every file removal is a risk.

A miniscule risk when based upon the judgement of Piriform Developers.

Possibly a different risk when based upon a WinApp2.ini proposal that was tested on one specific computer system and not vetoed on by a moderator.

Registry cleaning is a risk that I almost never take.

Apart from the above changes to what is cleaned,

Perhaps you wish to know if the algorithms and techniques have changed,

but any knowledge of that would be kept internal to Piriform developers.

Did you let CCleaner make a backup before going ahead with the registry cleaning?

if yes, can you look at the backup file and check if anything in the keyboard layout area was removed?

If you are still having the problem, can you try a System Restore to a date before you ran the cleaner?

• Moderators

any registry cleaner can cause adverse effects ccleaner hasn't changed you just finally were unlucky in your blind cleaning, from now on you should probably learn that exercising caution with registry cleaning is and always has been required

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

any registry cleaner can cause adverse effects ccleaner hasn't changed you just finally were unlucky in your blind cleaning, from now on you should probably learn that exercising caution with registry cleaning is and always has been required

So, I've "been lucky" for a decade w/CCleaner - never a problem once,. but all of a sudden w.the last two builds...my luck has all gone bad?? It has nothing to do with the last two builds as opposed to the dozens and dozens of previous builds I have had absolutely no problem with?? Yeah, right...

Where I might find the correct answer,upon reflection, is looking at the deltas of the last two builds vs the previous ones...

Did you let CCleaner make a backup before going ahead with the registry cleaning?

if yes, can you look at the backup file and check if anything in the keyboard layout area was removed?

If you are still having the problem, can you try a System Restore to a date before you ran the cleaner?

Damn good idea.

Thanks, I'll give it a try for sure.

Again, many thanks.

Eric