Change one of the default options in CCleaner

Hi I have been trying to use SkyGo since February with no success and only stumbled on a sky forum blaming silverlight, silverlight blaming ccleaner

I think the solution is for ccleaner to change the default option to not clear Silverlight in the application settings.

I have used CCleaner as long as I can remember and have never even clicked the applications Tab before

==================================================================================

People who use the registry cleaner Ccleaner and also use Sky Go, Please ensure that you change the settings on Ccleaner to ensure it doesn’t remove application storage from Silverlight.

As many users are aware, if you allow Ccleaner to run without unchecking the Microsoft Silverlight option in the settings, the next time you open up Sky Go Desktop it will register as a new device. So if you scan you system twice in a month then you will have to wait the calendar month in order to start viewing again. As the systems will think you have registered 2 devices.

To fix this error and not be unfortunate like many other users of Ccleaner and Sky Go. Follow the steps below.

• Open Ccleaner
  • Click on Applications
  • In the multimedia box, Uncheck Microsoft Silverlight.

• Moderators

caveats like that aren't usually done.. when cleaning the registry, you should only remove found entries that you know you don't need anymore. NOT everything found.

please see my signature.

as for the cleaning section, you can exclude files from the clean by right clicking the entry in the analysis.

most people who have silverlight aren't using or paying attention to it, and would appreciate that ccleaner removes the junk left behind by random sites which use the plugin.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

caveats like that aren't usually done.. when cleaning the registry, you should only remove found entries that you know you don't need anymore. NOT everything found.

please see my signature.

as for the cleaning section, you can exclude files from the clean by right clicking the entry in the analysis.

most people who have silverlight aren't using or paying attention to it, and would appreciate that ccleaner removes the junk left behind by random sites which use the plugin.

sorry i was only making a suggestion

i have worked since 1962 on computers and understand that they fragile to say the least.

it has been very frustrating trying to get a product being told uninstal silverlight fit old version then update to latest skygo

remove all versions and start again.

even been told to remove a folder in program data/microsoft//playready that a admin user did not have permissions to delete (was set to network operators or something) get very informative errors such as t6205-c1501 and t6000-c1501 which led to sky forums and the way the skygo product works (not very elegant design to use silverlight and ccleaner touching the cache destroys everything)

I was only suggesting that by default do not set silverlight box as ticked to save frustrations of ccleaner users trying to solve problems with sky £$%^ software not dreaming it is due to the way the product uses silverlight in a way it was not designed for

i put all the piriform products on every desktop / laptop that i fix or tune-up which must amount to about 20 this year alone and never had a problem with ccleaner up till now

ps problem i reported on speccy on my 6gig me windows7 laptop where it exits has never been fixed and still waiting for a solution

• Moderators

Hi Kenny.

I don't disagree with my illustrious compadre above, and over the years we've had lots of posts from folks hitting problems after running a new version of CCleaner without checking the changelog or checking CCleaner itself for new options.

I'm of the opinion that new cleaning options shouldn't ever be checked by default, and I'm also of the opinion that folk should pay more attention to running programs like CCleaner, but human nature being what it is, most users don't do that so I think the onus is maybe more on Piriform to not have new stuff checked by default.

It would save a lot of headaches.

You never know, the devs might just help avoid those problems one of these days.

:)

• 1 month later...

Kenny, one solution is to download portable CCleaner to a flash drive & create a shortcut to C:\Program Files on your flash drive as well.

_____

Open CCleaner on your flas drive, set the options like you want & save to .ini file.

Next time you are on a computer you want CCleaner on, plug in your flash drive.

When it comes up, drag & drop CCleaner folder onto the C:\Program Files shortcut & it will copy CCleaner contents to C:\Program Files\CCleaner

_____

Pretty neat, & saves the trouble of installing, hey?