What is IE doing.

kobrakommander56

IE proclaims that they are trying to regain the glory that they once held. I read a very light article on how they are trying to regain competition over firefox. I realize that they are making no profit becuz IE is freeware, but does anyone actually know what the hell they are doing.

Eye M

sofa king

wee tod id

IPB Image

Insert random C4 joke here.

• Moderators

IE still holds like 99.99 percent of the browser market so they arent trying to regain competition. I think they are just trying to improve its image.(how people think of it.) What they need to do is throw away active x but thats never going to happen.

What does Active X do?

25574[/snapback]

Active X is software a site downloads onto your PC for both good and evil reasons. A good example is many online virus scanners use Active X controls. Internet Explorer allows Active X to be downloaded onto your PC without your knowledge unless you specify very restrictive security settings. Firefox does not support Active X which is one of the main reasons it's considered to be much more secure than IE. This is also the reason many scanners don't work with Firefox.

One of the things that HiJackThis is very useful for is listing Active X installations on your PC that you may not know are there. They are often found in the Downloaded Programs Files Folder. Often they have names that are confusing or intentionally misleading. This is an example of one that is OK:

O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=36467&clcid=0x409

It is the MS Verification Utility (or something like that).

One of the big pains about Active X is that it can be very hard to remove from a PC.

it's very easy to remove from the PC. there's a folder that contains every activex control somewhere.

IE also has a built-in tool to see every activex control installed. also gives an option to remove.

@The topic. i think it should be renamed to, "What is Microsoft doing" because we all know that IE is just a program that has no life.

• Moderators

Like rridgely stated removing the ActiveX would be what I would want, of course if that were the case they'd probably have to create a separate tool for allowing Microsoft Updates/Windows Updates or just allow any browser to download them via a plugin. Also making it separate from the system and not so tightly integrated could greatly decrease the possibility of it being the cause so many systems get malware or hijacked from using it.

IE still holds like 99.99 percent of the browser market so they arent trying to regain competition. I think they are just trying to improve its image.(how people think of it.) What they need to do is throw away active x but thats never going to happen.

25564[/snapback]

Sorry to disagree rridgely, but when FF released 1.5 there was an artical which stated that it was used by 15% of net users, and I think with those kind of stats MS have to sit up and take note.

What they do another thing. Personally speaking I think the damage has been done. They are now fire fighting. I don't think FF will ever take over IE but they will keep eating into their market.

I don't think that will ever happen, thank gawd. MS likes to keep things in-house, "We've got a secret and we're not tellin' you". Unlike Mozilla who by their very nature is open source and rely on the goodwill of the public fixing many of the little problems that seem to occure. Which is one of the main reasons why I think people take them to heart.

The quicker computer firms stop bundling up IE and let the public choose which browsers they want MS will get the biggest shock of their lives.

• Moderators
I heard some where that Microsoft was planing on buying opera browser to try and improve there browsers and push FF down on the favorites scale.

25768[/snapback]

If MS were to buy Opera (I sincerely hope they don't) I'd stop using Opera completely, although Opera has been my browser of choice for almost five years.

IE should just kill all the other browsers and regain supremacy. Kill em boondock saints style.

kobrakommander56

I truly sincerely hope you were joking. Obviously MS could never come out on top by writing stable, intuitive code, as they are incapable of doing so. The only way they could possibly triumph is by designing some program to prevent compatiblities with any other browser. That is basically the idea behind Trusted Computing. Real trustworthy, huh?

If you are still using IE, please accept my condolences. And click on this link while you're at it. You won't regret it.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Obviously he was. :rolleyes:  :P

25981[/snapback]

Well, obviously he was joking about the killing part (awfully hard to murder a browser). What I was referring to is "IE should... regain supremacy". I hear this all the time: MS should write all of the world's software, then we wouldn't have to worry about compatibility issues, bugs, etc. :rolleyes:

I suppose if everyone in the world had infinite hardware resources to work with, and had hours every day to devote to recovering from crashes and viruses and a poorly designed interface... then MS would be a perfectly logical choice for all of one's software. But until that day comes, I think I'll stick with my easy to use, non-hardware-hogging, FREE software. :D

ding, ding!

If Microsoft would have played with open standards and not trying to intentionally break compatibility then you wouldnt have to worry about compatibility issues.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

If Microsoft would have played with open standards and not trying to intentionally break compatibility then you wouldnt have to worry about compatibility issues.

25986[/snapback]

How very true. Microsoft can't win the software war by making good programs, so they simply alter the standards to intentionally make others' programs obsolete.

But I do agree with rridgely when he says "you just have to get the right ones". There are plenty of freeware clones of great apps that give freeware a bad name. That said, I use non-MS apps or freeware/open source for almost all of the work I do, and my machine still runs fast and stable. In fact, the only MS apps I use are WinXP Pro for my OS, and Windows Media Player 10 (with the Real/QuickTime Alternatives).

I don't have the balls to switch over to Linux yet, since this is the only computer that I technically own, and I don't have any previous Linux experience. One of these days...

ding, ding!

Yeah, examples are IE which refuse to follow w3 web standards and try to make their own.

Another example is Office and their file format war which they constantly tried to break compatibility so that WordPerfect and other software cant read Word files. Now Office cant even read their own word files from earlier versions. :)

Personally I prefer applications that are free, they are usually better. Commercial software are made with the goal of getting money and are made to please as many people as possible and often bloated with useless stuff.

Stuff that are free are often made because of passion and a programmer that likes todo what he does.

And as for Linux, you dont have to switch over to it just like that. There are LiveCD's which you just put into the computer, boot it up and dont have to install anything.

Knoppix is a well known Linux distribution on a LiveCD.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

Another example is Office and their file format war which they constantly tried to break compatibility so that WordPerfect and other software cant read Word files. Now Office cant even read their own word files from earlier versions. :)

That's why when I save a *.doc file in Word 2003 I make sure I save it for compatibility with earlier versions such as Word 97, etc. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense of them breaking the format so that ealier versions can't open the files however I think it "may" have a darker side to it, e.g.; trick people into buying a new version that wouldn't know any better.

Good thing there is OpenOffice.org 2.0.1! I can always download the newest version for free, and it supports all MS Office file formats. Not to mention, it allows you to render your documents in the .pdf (Adobe Acrobat) format, a feature still not offered by Microsoft. I don't understand why so many people spend $400 on MS Office 2003 when a stable, free alternative exists! And, it isn't even the slightest bit more difficult to use (although it isn't quite as "pretty" as Office; big whoop).

ding, ding!