Java 64-bit error when attempting to run Minecraft

Icedrake

UPDATE: Problem has been fixed.

I've been trying to play Minecraft today after I installed 64-bit Java (haven't played Minecraft for a while, nor have I had Java for a while, only installing it for Minecraft), and when I try to run Minecraft, I am getting this error:

java_error.png

I've gone into Google and have looked up this error, and one "solution" I've found is this one, located here: http://www.neoseeker...19-64-bit-java/

For Windows Vista/7:

Click Start and right click 'Computer'

Choose 'Properties' from the menu

Click 'Advanced' or 'Advanced system settings'

ii) Click on Environment Variables.

iii) Under System Variables, scroll down, find 'Path' or 'PATH', and click on it.

iv) Click the Edit button and then scroll to the front of the edit window, and paste this:

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin;

v) Click OK->OK->OK

If using JRE7 then replace 'jre6' with 'jre7'

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have done much for me at all, maybe I'm doing something wrong, not sure. If anyone has any ideas for this, that would be great.

Another thing that I have tried doing is adding a system variable like so:

java_error_2.png

But that doesn't seem to have done anything either.

Won't that still mean that Minecraft will utilize the 32-bit installation rather than the 64-bit installation? The reason I want it to use the 64-bit installation is because there is a message in the options area ingame that says a 64-bit installation is recommended for a Far render distance, stating that I have a 32-bit installation rather than a 64-bit.

have you tried installing 32bit java? :lol:

Yep, works fine with 32 bit. However, you say you're using only the 64-bit which is the same thing I want. Before anyone asks by the way, yes, my computer is 100% 64-bit.

Strange, try installing 32bit Java, re-installing Minecraft, uninstalling 32bit (leaving you with 64bit) and see how that goes?

No luck. I tried uninstalling everything, all Java, all Minecraft, everything. Then I re-installed only Java 64-bit and then re-installed Minecraft, and still, the same error. Maybe it's something in the registry, I don't know. This is honestly quite frustrating. :wacko:

Sorry about the double post, but the problem is fixed. I believe it was something that was wrong with my Minecraft launcher, I redownloaded it from the website and it's working now. Wonder what was wrong with (5 words that start with w in a row :D) before, but it's all working now, yes!

• 2 weeks later...

Another variable CLASSPATH also defines the classes and libraries for Java. This is important for both running as well as writing and testing Java.

Any information provided is my opinion or my personal understanding. Please verify information and consult a professional when needed.

Thomas Sisson a.k.a. MyLittleBronco