Firewall Info Please (Again!)

Ultimate Predator

Right, I read that report about outpost Free (my previous firewall) never being tested on XP. That kinda shocked me, and it actually caused some problems, so I've got rid of it.

I currently have just XP firewall running, which a lot of people I have seen use, does anyone recommend a decent FREE one, or is it not needed?

I don't want Sygate as its been discontinued, nor any version of ZoneAlarm as an old version screwed up my PC once, nor of course Outpost Free.

I just want a firewall (if I need one) thats completely safe to use, and very good...

• Moderators

No I think you should get ZA if you want a decent free one.

The windows firewall is not enough. A lot viruses have even managed to turn off the windows firewall.

If you dont want to run a firewall than the next best thing I can suggest is that you buy a router with a hardware firwall built in.

No I think you should get ZA if you want a decent free one.

The windows firewall is not enough. A lot viruses have even managed to turn off the windows firewall.

I agree with rridgely; ZoneAlarm isn't too shabby for a free firewall. The Windows firewall only monitors incoming traffic, but it does not pay attention to what your computer sends out; ZA does. Also, ZoneAlarm has management settings so that you can either let it decided what programs to run automatically, or you can have it leave the final decision to you every time.

I've been using it for slightly over a year, and am very impressed with its abilities. I am using the Pro version, but for a while I used the free version, and had no problems. You can download it here.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

• Moderators

I personally think ZoneAlarm is just a big buggy app. Sure it works up until is screws up.

I'm personally using the Windows Firewall, however if I were to use a third-party firewall again and I might it would only be Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall. Note: In it's current version 4.2.3.912 it has only been rebranded (a new name) from Kerio Personal Firewall 4.2.2, and that's the only differences as of yet.

• Moderators
Hmm, Kerio looks like it costs money, I'll give ZA another go...

25516[/snapback]

It is non-commercial freeware for personal usage. It will operate for 30 days in paid-mode then after that it will go into free-mode. In free-mode it disables some advanced features that are only available in paid-mode, however it will still have incoming and outgoing protection (just like ZA) but without all the bugs.

In free-mode it disables some advanced features that are only available in paid-mode, however it will still have incoming and outgoing protection (just like ZA) but without all the bugs.

25518[/snapback]

I have heard several people make comments about ZA being buggy, but frankly, I have yet to see it. ZA is just like any other program; you have to get the updates. Obviously, if you don't update it, it won't be able to prevent the newest attacks. I think over a year of usage is long enough to know that it is a good product. I have not used Kerio, but I have used the Windows Firewall, and like everything else written by MS, it leaves something to be desired.

The biggest testament to ZA's abilities is the fact that I don't get viruses. I just don't. Ever. And I have gone on numerous websites that have malicious content, without any problems whatsoever. If Kerio performs better than that, I would be amazed. I don't see what else it could offer that would give me reason to switch.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

I have heard several people make comments about ZA being buggy, but frankly, I have yet to see it. ZA is just like any other program; you have to get the updates. Obviously, if you don't update it, it won't be able to prevent the newest attacks. I think over a year of usage is long enough to know that it is a good product. I have not used Kerio, but I have used the Windows Firewall, and like everything else written by MS, it leaves something to be desired.

The biggest testament to ZA's abilities is the fact that I don't get viruses. I just don't. Ever. And I have gone on numerous websites that have malicious content, without any problems whatsoever. If Kerio performs better than that, I would be amazed. I don't see what else it could offer that would give me reason to switch.

I am using ZA now, and it works fine. I have heard many other people say that it is screwy, but its fine with me, have it in 15 day trial mode of Pro version, its brilliant, might buy it...

• Moderators
I have heard several people make comments about ZA being buggy, but frankly, I have yet to see it.

25526[/snapback]

It matters just how your system configuration is as well. Since it works for you congratulations.

I'm so sick of talking about ZoneAlarm, my new years resolution is to not even mention or post about it again.

Some of the problems I've encountered:

* Won't install, can't read temporary install file: "%temp%\glb##.tmp"

Problem: It is then half installed, and can't be removed, even startup entries that delete files before Windows start's can't remove it.

Solution: 1. Install in safe mode. 2. Reboot into safe mode and uninstall it. 3. Run System Restore in normal mode and restore the system to the time before it was installed. 4. Install again in safe mode.

Note: I can't get any version higher than v5.5.094 to install, the installer will just crash with: can't read file: "%temp%\glb##.tmp", and it's very difficult (beyond difficult) to remove it when it's half installed.

* Internet connection failure:

Problem: Nothing can access the Internet, no programs can update, no websites will load.

Solution: 1. Shutdown ZoneAlarm. 2. Run CCleaner with the pre-installed winapp2.ini entry "Internet Logs" to remove all of ZoneAlarm's crap in "C:\Windows\Internet Logs". 3. Restart Windows.

It matters just how your system configuration is as well. Since it works for you congratulations.

I'm so sick of talking about ZoneAlarm, my new years resolution is to not even mention or post about it again.

Some of the problems I've encountered:

* Won't install, can't read temporary install file: "%temp%\glb##.tmp"

Problem: It is then half installed, and can't be removed, even startup entries that delete files before Windows start's can't remove it.

Solution: 1. Install in safe mode. 2. Reboot into safe mode and uninstall it. 3. Run System Restore in normal mode and restore the system to the time before it was installed. 4. Install again in safe mode.

Note: I can't get any version higher than v5.5.094 to install, the installer will just crash with: can't read file: "%temp%\glb##.tmp", and it's very difficult (beyond difficult) to remove it when it's half installed.

* Internet connection failure:

Problem: Nothing can access the Internet, no programs can update, no websites will load.

Solution: 1. Shutdown ZoneAlarm. 2. Run CCleaner with the pre-installed winapp2.ini entry "Internet Logs" to remove all of ZoneAlarm's crap in "C:\Windows\Internet Logs". 3. Restart Windows.

Even though you weren't referring to me (were you?), I'm not here t argue. All I know is, it installed fine, and everything can access the internet perfectly. Sorry to hear it didn't work for you.

• Moderators

Zone Alarm is the firewall that I put on pcs that I clean up. Usually I can train it before I leave and then the person dosent even have to do anything. It will do its job and not cause any problems.(its user friendly unlike most of the others I have tried.) Just remember to turn off alerts and logs or it will annoy the hell out of you.

• Moderators
Even though you weren't referring to me (were you?), I'm not here t argue. All I know is, it installed fine, and everything can access the internet perfectly. Sorry to hear it didn't work for you.

25542[/snapback]

Nope, I'm not arguing or anything. Just noted my experience with it. It works, well v5.5.094 does if I install it in safe mode, but it eventually for a lack of a better word "poops out" after a week or two weeks and starts acting up.

• Moderators
if it comes with etrust its worth getting, isn't it?

25628[/snapback]

Yeah but the etrust suite comes with ZA as well. And I think the Etrust suite is cheaper.(last time I checked and it even comes with pestpatrol).