Byebye Minitel

hazelnut

This is the first time I've posted for ages!

Was this service unique to France or were there variations of it elsewhere? I have a vague memory of a similar system existing at Kings Cross railway station in London in the late 80s (possibly in late 1988 or early 1989) after the station was rebuilt following a fire in the station in late 1987. I remember that you could buy rail tickets, check train and bus timetables and view things like a phone directory as well as services like news and sport stories. I tried it once and found it boring - I remember wondering why on earth people would want to spend their time staring at a screen just to find out things!

• Moderators

I didn't know anything about it. From that article this was a good laugh though: :lol:

By the early 1990s the terminal itself was the clunkiest piece of desk manure you could imagine

I tried it once and found it boring - I remember wondering why on earth people would want to spend their time staring at a screen just to find out things!

I remember hating computers in the 80s and through most of the 90s and would avoid them, yet look exactly where we are now, staring at a screen just to find out things! Ironic isn't it. :)

• Moderators

Hi Robbie, good to see you again :)

According to this link the French farming community who still use it will miss it most as a lot of them used it to order up an inseminator :rolleyes:

One of the French media experts likened it to an Apple prototype (may be some disagreement about that!)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-29/french-internet-precursor-shuts-down/4099492

Support contact

https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

One of the French media experts likened it to an Apple prototype (may be some disagreement about that!)

A better Apple prototype here, mmm delicious although it won't play your tunes:

320px-Apple_pie.jpg