Misterious problem with MS 5000 "Blue Track" desktop mouse!

slowday444

I don't see a peripheral categorie so here I am! I've built a desktop with an Asus P8Z77-M Pro mother board, a Core i5 3570K CPU and a SSD. I use an Asus VE 228h LED monitor. After a week or so with the dongle in any given port, the cursor becomes erratic and eventually it will actually freeze. Sometimes a change of ports rectifies it, other times only a reboot. Definitely not the batteries or drivers. Well I guess you can't always say definitely not the drivers. Any theories? Thank you!

• Moderators

dust/hair in the eye? (use canned air on the lazer see if that helps)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

It is difficult to know how to help, until you know what is causing it. First, you want to eliminate possibilities, which I will list below.

- Try a corded mouse. If this fixes it, something about wifi mouse isn't working right. Update driver/move receiver closer/exchange for another mouse/etc.

- Check your BIOS settings to ensure USB power settings are correct. If not, correct it & save the settings, then reboot.

- Check your power settings in Windows itself. Some computers have ability to shut off ports to conserve power for certain reasons. Go into power options & deselect powering down/standby.

- Update your BIOS to the latest at the manufacturer website.

- If still having problems after changing BIOS settings, try resetting it to default settings. Overclocks & other changes can cause problems for connected devices.

- If worse comes to worse, try a USB add-in card & see how your mouse works with it. Save your onboard for other things that don't have that problem.

- Try a different OS, or even Ubuntu to see how they handle USB under heavy use.

What OS are you using? 32 or 64 Bit? How much RAM do you have? Are your CPU/GPU/Case fans clean & clear of dust?

* Additionally, be sure your using a proper mouse pad. Some surfaces are difficult for lasers to track, & cause erratic tracking or jumping on the screen.

It is difficult to know how to help, until you know what is causing it. First, you want to eliminate possibilities, which I will list below.

- Try a corded mouse. If this fixes it, something about wifi mouse isn't working right. Update driver/move receiver closer/exchange for another mouse/etc.

- Check your BIOS settings to ensure USB power settings are correct. If not, correct it & save the settings, then reboot.

- Check your power settings in Windows itself. Some computers have ability to shut off ports to conserve power for certain reasons. Go into power options & deselect powering down/standby.

- If still having problems after changing BIOS settings, try resetting it to default settings. Overclocks & other changes can cause problems for connected devices.

- If worse comes to worse, try a USB add-in card & see how your mouse works with it. Save your onboard for other things that don't have that problem.

- Try a different OS, or even Ubuntu to see how they handle USB under heavy use.

What OS are you using? 32 or 64 Bit? How much RAM do you have? Are your CPU/GPU/Case fans clean & clear of dust?

* Additionally, be sure your using a proper mouse pad. Some surfaces are difficult for lasers to track, & cause erratic tracking or jumping on the screen.

Nice reply. Especially like the Power Settings! It is 64 bit Windows 7.

• Moderators

After a week or so with the dongle in any given port, the cursor becomes erratic and eventually it will actually freeze.

I had that problem earlier this year and eventually the mouse just died.

So indeed, under advanced power settings and USB there was a "Selective Suspend" setting that was enabled. I've disabled it and so far so good, although it's hard for me to believe that an active port would be involved. I also read where fans can interfere with the connection. There are three plus the CPU fan. If it occurs again I'll try a M to F USB cable and put the dongle up on the desk, away from the case. If that fails I'll try the same with a powered hub as there like five bucks on ebay. I love this mouse. It's big and it doesn't have a segmented scrolling wheel and that is the reason I bought it for the old XP machine. It is a little harder to middle click admittedly. I still haven't checked the BIOS yet. It did work fine the first several weeks so perhaps it is dying as Andavari suggested!