Speed up cleaning firefox caches

I ran CCleaner on a computer that had never been CCleaned for about 6 months. 3 GB RAM, dual core, pretty fast machine.

I noted that CCleaner took forever. Perhaps 15 min or so to clean firefox caches. At one point, I stopped CCleaner & it was only 489 MB FF trash that it had cleaned.

_____

Factors that CAN be eliminated:

- No viruses/rootkits/malware/startup items other than A/V

- Harddisk had 80% free space on a 300 GB drive

- Using Windows 7 32 Bit with CCleaner 3.17

I tried using Firefox built in cleaner (CTRL + SHIFT + DEL) & it zipped right along. 10 to 15 seconds.

Ran CCleaner again, and it took less than a second.

_____

What gives with such unusually long clean times for Firefox? I would have said, well maybe it is because of all the trash it is cleaning, but that cannot be the case because 15 min is a LONG time to run for 489 MB FF trash.... 58% cleaning, & showed the firefox cache folder(s) where I could see each folder name because it was deleting one at a time, it seems?

Just wondering, why does it hang if you have more than a few hundred MB in FF cache, but otherwise, it flies?

Can you guys speed up CCleaner on Firefox Cache cleaning, by chance?

Thanks!

• Moderators

1. CCleaner couldn't clean. are you sure firefox is exiting completly
  2. Do you have compress databases checked off in ccleaner? this might be what takes so long.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

1. Yes, firefox was exited. It wouldn't clean, otherwise.

2. No, compress databases is never one I use, so I never check it.

Therefore, I am puzzled why? It seems like if you use firefox a little, it isn't too bad. But if you open hundreds of tabs, or accumulate a larger cache, FF in-built cleaner can empty itself in mere 10 to 15 seconds. Sometimes less. Hence my puzzlement over why CCleaner should take 15 min to clear only 489 MB or so....

If you don't use FF that much, however, CC doesn't take long. It seems to happence when users have a larger FF cache...

• Moderators

LOL I forgot that you are he with the hundreds of tabs. LOL

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Therefore, I am puzzled why? It seems like if you use firefox a little, it isn't too bad.

Cleaning any browser that's been used regularly for six months without being cleaned it's just logical that cache removal is going to be no pun intended "Super Slow." If you're removing gobs of cache from any browser the installed antivirus can also cause a major slow down as it scans each and every little file CCleaner is deleting however some AV's are much more annoying in that regard than others though.

I've seen Internet Explorer take absolutely forever to clean because someone had maxed out it's Temporary Internet Files capacity and never once deleted them, then of course after cleaning all that up a Defrag is going to take forever.

Cleaning any browser that's been used regularly for six months without being cleaned it's just logical that cache removal is going to be no pun intended "Super Slow."

I would have thought that, but as stated prior to this, I was using 3.17 on a machine that had not had the cache cleared in 6 months. I normally run every week or two on my machine, but I have noticed that it DRAGS if you neglect things a while.

Now, what I DID notice is that:

- I could see each folder cache being emptied, or that is to say, I could see every name being deleted. Keep in mind, this was on a faster machine, with nothing else running at the time except CCleaner. And it was well after everything had loaded, so I know nothing was running, say A/V program or anything.

- After 15 min or so, still, only 489 MB FF trash was deleted.

- If I take a similar system & try Firefox Inbuilt cleaner (CTRL + SHIFT + DEL), cleaning takes maybe 10 to 15 seconds or so. This seems to be repeatable.

After I run FF cleaner, CCleaner will then speed right along. It just amazes me that Firefox cleaner can take 10 to 15 seconds to clear all the trash, but CC is still cleaning after 15 min, & still isn't through, so I cancel to see where it is, & it has only removed 489 MB FF trash.

It should never take that long to remove 489 MB! Most HDD drives can do 30 to 60 or more MB second. Some, much more than that. What gives here?

This is why I am so puzzled, because sometimes CC will fly on some areas, & you can't count all the files it is erasing because it is too fast. But other areas, sometimes on large FF caches, it CRAWLS so painfully slooooow!

I used to think this was just how long it took, but after seeing FF clean it in 10 - 15 seconds (maybe more, maybe less, depending on machine speed & amount of trash, but pretty similar results, nonetheless) so many times, it made me realize that it should not be taking CC this long!

I know FF cleans it, because right after i run the built in FF cleaner, CC will zip along with barely any FF trash to remove, if any!

I think 489 MB is totally irrelevant unless you are WIPING the files.

When deleting a file I believe there is no access made to the content to the file,

but only to the MFT / FAT / Directory entries etc. so that the file disappears from normal view until Recuva exposes it.

I suggest that it is the quantity of files that matters,

i.e. how many items that Windows has to remove from its various records

I've noticed similar effects/slowdowns, too.

Thanks! I didn't think it was only me... LOL! :)

P.S. No, I don't have drive wipe enabled Alan. Although, Drive Wipe usually chugs along too! That is why this is puzzling.