Upgraded to home edition, but auto-downgraded itself?

Hello,

I have always loved using CCleaner for the past few years of my life, so I finally decided to upgrade to Home edition. I paid, installed, and ran the program, and I was very happy.

I neglected to run it again for about a month, and finally tried to run the program again. CCleaner told me I had an update available for download... but if I want the updated version of home edition, I need to pay for it. It's as if I suddenly have the free version of CCleaner again, and I'm not sure why. I'm pretty sure the Home edition is supposed to update normally instead of making me pay for it again.

Help?

• Moderators

Hi alex, and welcome to the forum.

The Home Addition is as far as I know, the normal version of CCleaner. What you pay for is priority support if you want it. You don't pay for the program.

Did you access the CCleaner download from here ...

http://www.piriform.com/products

Which takes you to this page ...

http://www.piriform....leaner/download

... which contains the free version of CCleaner and the Pro and Business Editions.

If not, where did you download it, and what did the version name/number say?

I apologize, I meant to say I downloaded the Professional version, the $24.95 one.

When I opened CCleaner (the month after getting the Pro version,) and it asked me to download the newest version of CCleaner, it took me to the usual Piriform website where I always download the newest version of CCleaner. However, if I want the NEWEST version of Pro, apparently I have to pay another $24.95? At least that's what I'm getting out of this.

I currently have version 3.17.1689. I don't want to click on the "free" version download on the Piriform site simply because I already bought the Pro version. Am I doing something wrong?

• Moderators

Hi alex.

No need to apologise. You should get one years free updates and priority support with the Pro version.

I haven't seen this question asked before, but I'm guessing that when you update the Pro Version you would do it via the free version download, as there isn't any difference in the software, just the support aspect of it.

I'll check this out for you with Piriform, so you can hang fire until I get back to you if you like.

It's a weekend, so I wouldn't expect any dev response to my query until Monday at the earliest.

:)

• Moderators

Thank you. I know I'm probably just being picky ...

Not at all.

I can see exactly where you're coming from, and you're probably not the only one who's wondered about updating their "paid for" version.

I'll get back to you as soon as I get a response.

• Moderators

I asked the question alex, but so far I haven't had a response from the devs.

If I was you I would use your priority support and ask them how you are supposed to update the Pro Version, as it's a legitimate question.

If I do get a response I will of course post it here.

I think I just figured it out, but I may have another issue.

After opening CCleaner again and checking the bottom left of the main screen, I saw, "Online Help." By clicking on that, it brought me to a page that asked me for my, "Priority Support login information." I typed my email and usual password, but it didn't seem to work. I tried it again, but I received an error (the page you were looking for is no longer able to be found.)

It gave me a link to return me to the previous page... but it didn't. Instead, it brought me over to the "Knowledge Base" screen, where the FAQ section had some questions listed. The first one asked, "Where can I get the latest versions of Piriform products?"

I clicked it, and it automatically brought me to a page asking which product. I clicked CCleaner. The updated product immediately began downloading. I would celebrate, but I have no idea what just happened.

I guess I'm still lost. Why don't I have a Priority Support account that I can log in with? Naturally, I would use my Priority Support to ask... but I currently can't log into it.

• Moderators

Hi alex.

Did you fill in the registration information the first time you ran CCleaner Pro?

http://support.piriform.com/entries/21245571-i-m-having-problems-registering-ccleaner-professional

If so, is this the page where you tried to log in for support?

http://www.piriform.com/login?return_to=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.piriform.com%2Frequests%2Fnew&timestamp=1336148052&locale_id=1

Thanks