Windows MP now doesn?t work

Annie

Hi folks,

Now I don?t know if it?s anything to do with my problem, but i used crap cleaner the day before yesterday and now my PC has no sound not via windows MP, i tunes or VLC. Cd?s do not work either, when I used the issues part I did a back up, but being not to nimble with the pc I don?t know how to retrieve stuff.

It may be a coincidence but I can?t find out what?s wrong.

Annie

A few questions:

1. Is this the first time you have used an audio player since you used CCleaner?

2. Have any other applications or drivers been installed since you used CCleaner?

3. Does windows still plays sounds (clicks, dings, startup music, etc.)?

The first thing you can try is opening your Control Panel (switch it to Classic View if it isn't already), and open up Sounds and Audio Devices. If it isn't already selected, select the Volume tab. Make sure that the Mute checkbox is not checked (this seems like an obvious one, but you may be surprised). Also, click the Advanced... button right below the check boxes and make sure that none of the required controls are muted, and that the volume is about half way or so (or at least loud enough to hear).

If this doesn't work, you can restore a saved CCleaner registry file simply by double-clicking it and selecting Okay. This will insert it back into the registry. I highly doubt CCleaner is the culprit, but no program is perfect.

If that doesn't fix it, try running System Restore (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore). It is pretty self explanatory. Just choose a date before when you ran into problems.

If this doesn't work (and I have a feeling it will, but if it doesn't), try updating your audio drivers via either Windows Update or the manufacturer's site.

And finally, if that doesn't work, restart your computer. Never hurts.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

A few questions:

1. Is this the first time you have used an audio player since you used CCleaner?

2. Have any other applications or drivers been installed since you used CCleaner?

3. Does windows still plays sounds (clicks, dings, startup music, etc.)?

The first thing you can try is opening your Control Panel (switch it to Classic View if it isn't already), and open up Sounds and Audio Devices.  If it isn't already selected, select the Volume tab.  Make sure that the Mute checkbox is not checked (this seems like an obvious one, but you may be surprised).  Also, click the Advanced... button right below the check boxes and make sure that none of the required controls are muted, and that the volume is about half way or so (or at least loud enough to hear).

If this doesn't work, you can restore a saved CCleaner registry file simply by double-clicking it and selecting Okay.  This will insert it back into the registry.  I highly doubt CCleaner is the culprit, but no program is perfect.

If that doesn't fix it, try running System Restore (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore).  It is pretty self explanatory.  Just choose a date before when you ran into problems.

If this doesn't work (and I have a feeling it will, but if it doesn't), try updating your audio drivers via either Windows Update or the manufacturer's site.

And finally, if that doesn't work, restart your computer.  Never hurts.

25058[/snapback]

My wife's office recently came across CCleaner, tried it, and like it, so I downloaded it at home and ran it. I have encountered a similar problem, except it's with Microsoft Word and Power Point (haven't tried any of the other MS apps to see if they were affected). Apparently CCleaner "cleaned" files that were necessary for the running of those programs. And unfortunately, my original CD has a crack in it and I can't restore the programs from it. Where is the CCleaner registry file? I don't see it in the CCleaner folder in the Program Files. I'd like to find a way to return these programs to functionality. And I don't have a System Restore point close to the date I ran into the problems (my bad!). Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Norm

Where is the CCleaner registry file?  I don't see it in the CCleaner folder in the Program Files.  I'd like to find a way to return these programs to functionality.

The only way that major problems (such as no sound or inoperable apps) could occur is if you used the Issues features to remove registry keys, and CCleaner accidently removed an important key. To the best of my knowledge, the Cleaner function doesn't actually ever delete anything important, just temp files and logs and such; things your programs can live without.

So assuming that you used the Issues feature and CCleaner removed an important key, hopefully you backed up that change before fixing the issue. By default, CCleaner asks you to back up the changes made to the registry before you make them. So, assuming that you backed up the change, it will be located wherever you saved the .reg file (the default location is under My Documents).

The icon for the saved registry file will be a piece of paper with some green blocks in front of it, and the title will be "cc_" followed by the date and some numbers. For example, an issue found today might have the name: "cc_20051224_1458". All you have to do to return this entry to the registry is double-click it and choose OK.

But once again, I wouldn't immediately assume that CCleaner is to blame. I've used many registry programs, some of which have seriously goofed up my computer (RegSupreme Pro caused Windows to stop recognizing .lnk files, i.e. shortcut files)! But I have never had CCleaner cause my OS or apps harm, and I've been using it since version 1.16. Make absolutely certain that you've checked all of the other potential problems first.

ding, ding!

My wife's office recently came across CCleaner, tried it, and like it, so I downloaded it at home and ran it.? I have encountered a similar problem, except it's with Microsoft Word and Power Point (haven't tried any of the other MS apps to see if they were affected).? Apparently CCleaner "cleaned" files that were necessary for the running of those programs.? And unfortunately, my original CD has a crack in it and I can't restore the programs from it.? Where is the CCleaner registry file?? I don't see it in the CCleaner folder in the Program Files.? I'd like to find a way to return these programs to functionality.? And I don't have a System Restore point close to the date I ran into the problems (my bad!).? Any assistance would be appreciated.? Thanks.

Norm

25059[/snapback]

Hi it?s Annie,

In answer to your questions, yes it was the first time I?d used crap cleaner, no I haven?t installed anything since using it. Speakers are live and there is no sound whatsover from my pc. I have now restored it from my documents file. I have windows 2000 so I believe it?s not possible to do a system restore. I going to try looking at the sound card drivers. Will let you know, thank you for your reply.

Annie

If that doesn't fix it, try running System Restore (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore). It is pretty self explanatory. Just choose a date before when you ran into problems.

lokoike

We've already got that covered, Eldmannen.

And Annie, you are correct, Windows 2000 does not have System Restore.

There is one comment you made that I am curious about:

I have now restored it from my documents file.

Annie

Were you referring to the .reg back-up file created by CCleaner? And if so, after adding it to the registry, does the problem still persist?

Getting those updated audio drivers is a good idea. Also, if you haven't already checked it out, perhaps try hooking up a different pair of speakers. Your problem sounds like a software issue, but you might as well consider all options; it is possible that your speakers blew out.

And if the updated drivers and alternate speakers don't work, it is also possible that your sound card (or integrated sound) has given up the ghost. Once again, very doubtful, but I'm trying to think of every possible cause of failure here.

Hope this helps you out some.

ding, ding!

• Moderators
I have encountered a similar problem, except it's with Microsoft Word and Power Point (haven't tried any of the other MS apps to see if they were affected).

25059[/snapback]

Uncheck MS Office or Office in Cleaner>Cleaner Settings>Applications>Applications

Microsoft "may" replace your damaged disc at a nominal fee if it's a recent version of Office, then again they "may not."

By now with all the complaints about missing Office settings I'd think that MS Office cleaning would be changed to a false selection e.g.; not selected by default. I personally know and have experienced the pain in the ass it causes to have all the settings removed.

Try Dial-a-fix (download from www.djlizard.net).

Dial-a-fix is a collection of 'known fixes' that was created over the past year that really knock out some serious Windows problems, all with one or two clicks.