Seeking a job...

The New Guy

• Moderators

Probably Corona finds it hard to believe that you are at university and yet in this financially challenging time in the world you believe that you are able to pick and choose what time you will tell a prospective employer that you are willing to work.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Oh. Okay...would it make everyone feel better if I said I didn't say that even though I did, but I take it back? (at least have DennisD back to continue helping or anyone else who might...) :( I feel guilty now for saying that.... :unsure:

What you see is what you get. :)

• Moderators

How old are you?

I fail to believe that a college aged person thought you could go into a potential employer and tell them what hours you expected to work. I doubt your going to get a job repairing computers without the proper certifications first. You should start out at a grocery store or something.

• Moderators

I'm happy to carry on with any advice you might need, and your CV looks fine now.

Don't worry about the negative comments (one in particular was a bit unnecessary), as you probably got a bit carried away with all the suggestions coming your way, especially mine as I thought you were looking to find yourself on the first stepping stone of a career, and if that was the case you do need to do things in a professional way.

I also thought that you were applying for an advertised position. Is that not the case?

And you don't have to feel guilty in any way at all. I've always maintained that there isn't any such thing as a daft question because that premise would put a lot of folk off asking for help. Daft answers? Definitely.

On a forum it pays to have a think about what it is exactly you want in way of help, and what information you think people will need to give you the best help they can. You're very new to this forum and maybe forums in general, so you'll learn as you go along.

You also need somewhat of a thick skin on a forum, because our written words don't always come across as we mean them, in which case you usually get some wag jumping on them. All in good fun of course.

Just my two penneth, and if you have any other questions, feel free.

:)

How old are you?

I fail to believe that a college aged person thought you could go into a potential employer and tell them what hours you expected to work. I doubt your going to get a job repairing computers without the proper certifications first. You should start out at a grocery store or something.

If you really want to know how old I am, I'm 18...maybe a bit over but not 19 yet. I'll be 19 in October :) Does the age factor make any difference to this discussion? :unsure:

..well....of course that was what I was thinking....I haven't got a job yet....so from when I was born to now, I have not even got employed yet....but now that everyone else I know have one, I thought I might as well get one too - besides that could pay off my dream gaming PC...and stop bugging mum /dad to get it for me which of course will be a no anyways....who's gonna pay 4 or so grand for my gaming PC? No one except me of course but I don't have that kind of money yet. ^_^ It looked quite simple...but when when I first heard the process, it now sounds a bit more complicated then just walk in and grab your position and that's it. That's what first thought it was to get a job/career: Step one search up your job, step two go to where you want to work and just sign in and you got a job. As simple as two steps to getting a job or career as I had thought....I guess I'm wrong...

Well....I did talk to the staff counter over there, before I even started this topic...he said I didn't really need any qualifications to get a job at this shop be he did mentioned that if I had any retailing experience or playing around with computers will help. Since I've played around with computers a lot when I'm not gaming, I thought I might be able to get this....or not. :unsure: but we'll see. I haven't done any retailing so...talking to customers would probably be a bad idea...I'd be best out the back doing the computer hands on practical help or something.

I thought by starting off at a computer shop might enhance my experience with using and maintaining computers at the same time. Grocery stores and the like, well I admit yes you get pad and get experience through that, but not really my preferred way of getting my first job....

I'm happy to carry on with any advice you might need, and your CV looks fine now.

Oh good. :)

Don't worry about the negative comments (one in particular was a bit unnecessary), as you probably got a bit carried away with all the suggestions coming your way, especially mine as I thought you were looking to find yourself on the first stepping stone of a career, and if that was the case you do need to do things in a professional way.
Yeah...sorry for that if that helps. I admit I got carried away but I had so many questions to ask.... :unsure: and I thought people here would be inclined to answer.... :(

I also thought that you were applying for an advertised position. Is that not the case?
Well...technically speaking, probably no...coz it's only my first anyway....and I don't have any qualifications yet, heck I just only started uni this year!! Straight from high school last year. I didn't know whether to get a gap year or straight to uni. If I had a gap year - I'd most likely be on my computer playing games, if not, I'd be at uni doing work and study instead. :) I chose to go to uni, coz a gap year would waste a year playing games...which I guess could help if I have not finish any games yet...I also sometimes make guides and edit already made guides to games...so that's my reason.

And you don't have to feel guilty in any way at all. I've always maintained that there isn't any such thing as a daft question because that premise would put a lot of folk off asking for help. Daft answers? Definitely.

On a forum it pays to have a think about what it is exactly you want in way of help, and what information you think people will need to give you the best help they can. You're very new to this forum and maybe forums in general, so you'll learn as you go along.

You also need somewhat of a thick skin on a forum, because our written words don't always come across as we mean them, in which case you usually get some wag jumping on them. All in good fun of course.

Just my two penneth, and if you have any other questions, feel free.

:)

Yeah...I'm probably new to forums....thought I might ask around here for help because it all started off with me accidentally wiping my HDD by just re-formatting it....then it gradually became....more friendly this place. So I thought I might ask more... :)

Does my answers to all those clear some confusion you all had?

• Moderators

Most computer shops(in the US anyway) want you to be certified for something like Comptia A+ at a minimum:

The A+ certification demonstrates competency as a computer technician. Officially, CompTIA A+ certification is a vendor neutral certification that covers numerous technologies and operating systems from such vendors as Microsoft, Apple Inc., Novell and some of the Linux variations. The A+ certification exam was developed in 1993. There have been four versions of the A+ exam, the 1993, 2003, 2006, and 2009 objectives, which are broken down into two separate exams. The 2003 objectives contained the A+ Core Hardware Exam and the A+ Core Operating System Technologies Exam, and were retired on June 30, 2007. The 2006 objectives require that a candidate successfully pass the A+ Essentials and one elective: IT technician, remote support technician, or depot technician. The 2009 certification requires passing two exams: Essentials and Practical Application.

http://en.wikipedia....B_certification

Most businesses don't want a 18 year old kid with no experience working on their computers.

You need to start out with a job which requires no experience first. Get a job at a restauraunt, retail store, or manual labor. This job is going to suck but all first jobs do.

Most businesses don't want a 18 year old kid with no experience working on their computers.

Oh, really? :unsure::o:mellow:

Yeah - well I don't live in the US, I live in Australia. :P Besides, the guy that I talked to said you didn't need any qualifications, provided that you got some experience in computers or and retailing. :) Let's see how it all works out once I finally finish my CV with at least two referees...Oh and thanks for the help, Dennis, and everyone else who tried! :)

-_- I got experience, it's just that I don't have any qualifications, either from tafe or uni/college as you guys see it, to prove that I am computer savvy. ^_^

Anything else that needs answering? B)

• Moderators
Anything else that needs answering?

How can I stop two of the fattest pigeons I've ever seen emptying my bird feeder at one sitting, and I've already thought of a shotgun.

I've just yesterday bought one of these ...

http://www.wilkinson...0/0298740_l.jpg

The small birds are using it, and two medium sized Collared Doves can get to the seed OK, but so far the "winged vacuum cleaners" haven't been back. Fingers crossed they can't get their fat heads through the bars.

This probably wasn't the question you had in mind, but you did ask. :)

Almost forgot.

Good luck with the job, and I actually know someone with no qualifications but a lot of knowledge who helps a guy out in a local computer shop. Not a PCWorld type shop, just your local guy with a lot on his plate.

Let us know how you get on.

"How can I stop two of the fattest pigeons I've ever seen emptying my bird feeder at one sitting, and I've already thought of a shotgun."

Dennis ! It`s not the pigeons you want to worry about wait till the squirrels arrive ! the eat everything and have no fear !

post-12714-0-79849700-1336119509_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

.... -_-

The computer shop I tried applying to said all their job positions were filled... :mellow::o:( Damn....I knew something like this was gonna happen....should've did it at the start of the year....would have made life easier....now I am going to try other shops that I can get to in a reasonable amount of time... :unsure: let's see what they say...hopefully all their job positions aren't full yet.... <_< If they are all, then.... :mellow: ..................................................................................................................................................

Hi....I got another question relating to this...would you recommend working as well as going to uni at the same time without it affecting your study or grades? Because my friend always bug me(he is going to do the same course I will be doing as well.) not to go to work as I'll miss out on a lot of study and time that could've been spent dedicated to my course.......I don't know now.....what do you guys think? Will work = lower grade than without working casual or part time? :unsure::(:blink::mellow:

• Moderators

Will work = lower grade...

Not if you realize that while in school your schooling comes first, especially if you'll already for instance have money from your parents for food, living, etc. Now it's a completely different situation if you're putting yourself through school and paying for everything all by yourself which would require income, and if you have a car that's sort-of another type of "mouth to feed."

You could always work weekends, which would be expected of you anyways if it's going to be a first-time part-time job.

• Moderators

Most university students over here, unless they have rich folks, have to work, and many will be holding down more that one part time job to pay their way through their studies.

We're talking about fees of up to £9,000 per annum, and that's not including the rent, gas, electricity, clothing and food they have to find the cash for if they're at a university away from home.

If you want something badly enough you have to do whatever it takes, and working and studying at the same time is par for the course over here. (No university fees in Scotland by the way)

Hmmm....well I still live with my parents....and they're supporting me...with the needs....and usually not my wants.......If I try to ask them to get something for me, the answer's usually a no...unless I have a good reason (educational reason should give me the want, but other than educational, it's a no) and usually my mum will say along the lines of "Go get a job damnit - I can't be paying for everything you want! Unless it's for educational purpose or that the fact you haven't bought anything in a while - that's of course not educational related, I will get it for you." or sometimes "No...(and here I would interrupt and offered that I will repay the cash sometime in the future, which sometimes ends in yes or a no again....)" -_-

My parents aren't that rich or poor - they're just average. If they won the lottery(maybe 30 million dollars or something) they'd definitely say "Yes" to anything I want to buy....but right now, they've bought many tickets with no luck.....I felt that they wasted all that money buying them lottery tickets....that could've been spent on other things...but that's what they wish to do and I will not argue.

The course I am doing costs about 8000 Australian dollars a year.....and since the course goes for 5 years that's $40000! :blink::o That's more than 4 times the cost of my dream gaming rig!! Wow....

I also heard that if you complete this course, you'll get $5000 a week. This true? Or is my friend just saying that so I have to try my best? Is there even any career/job that will pay $5000 a week??! I haven't seen any....besides being the prime minister of a country or something similar.... :unsure::blink:

Hmmm....what do you guys think now? Should I go ahead with it and ignore my friend's idea? And just work on Saturdays and or Sundays? I was actually planning to also work on Thursday, but I saw the timetable and it was, well - quite intense with classes going through the entire weekdays....Maybe on the holidays, I might work all the days...might have to give up that time that could've been spent for studying to earning some money towards my wants.... ^_^

• Moderators

ah yes the early, pupal, stage of the adult human ;)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Errr...I'm guessing this is what being an adult is like.........or is there another step I need to take on my way on becoming an adult? I'm still kid...............who just likes computers and playing games on them..........

• Moderators

If they won the lottery(maybe 30 million dollars or something) they'd definitely say "Yes" to anything I want to buy....

My guess is you'd still hear a definate No from time to time. :lol:

As for a guaranteed amount to be paid after getting out of school I'd say good luck with that, first you'd have to find a job and many graduates are finding they're over qualified for a job and either have to do something else or take much less pay.

• Moderators

Errr...I'm guessing this is what being an adult is like.........or is there another step I need to take on my way on becoming an adult?

Yea, call a day on the "High Walls" thing. Best sign ever of becoming an adult. :)

My guess is you'd still hear a definate No from time to time. :lol:

That is very true.... ^_^

As for a guaranteed amount to be paid after getting out of school I'd say good luck with that, first you'd have to find a job and many graduates are finding they're over qualified for a job and either have to do something else or take much less pay.

Wouldn't over qualified mean you get more pay or become the store supervisor or something similar in rank or companies will want people who are qualified for their specific areas of need?

Yea, call a day on the "High Walls" thing. Best sign ever of becoming an adult. :)
It feels....awkward at times....and sometimes I have no idea what I am doing.... :unsure: I'm not a person who always make a decision on demand....damn adulthood....it's making me feel anxious.. :unsure: ..I wanna go back....to teenage life....actually better yet - kid life! :lol: