Two icons do not show in tray at star-up

Eli

Hi

Two icons do not show in tray at star-up: 1.Sounds and audio devices and 2.Safely remove hardware.

If I restart windows explorer right after start-up, they will always show up.

Assuming this is a Win explorer`s issue, what can I do to fix it?

Thanks

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

Looks like xp from his signature nodles.

If you load under another username do they show then?

My system is as per my signature. I do not have other users, in fact I even disabled the secondary logon service.

This is a known problem with XP

After start-up there is a brief period in which the icon for an APP will enter the notification tray,

followed by another period in which the more "sluggish" APPs are too late and their icons are excluded.

I vaguely recall a super geek hack of system32\explorer.exe could extend the initial delay so the stragglers could get in - but I was not bold enough.

My solution was to reduce to the minimum the things that started up automatically.

Especially effective was disabling Auto Startup service of my AntiVirus GUI, and launching the GUI from my post-login script.

That prevented the AV GUI from downloading signature updates and wasting precious start-up seconds and CPU cycles before I could even log on.

This was successful with both ESET and more recently with Comodo.

In both cases I did confirm with the AV suppliers the safety of my intentions, and I suggest you also seek advice before following in my steps.

This is a known problem with XP

After start-up there is a brief period in which the icon for an APP will enter the notification tray,

followed by another period in which the more "sluggish" APPs are too late and their icons are excluded.

I vaguely recall a super geek hack of system32\explorer.exe could extend the initial delay so the stragglers could get in - but I was not bold enough.

My solution was to reduce to the minimum the things that started up automatically.

Especially effective was disabling Auto Startup service of my AntiVirus GUI, and launching the GUI from my post-login script.

That prevented the AV GUI from downloading signature updates and wasting precious start-up seconds and CPU cycles before I could even log on.

This was successful with both ESET and more recently with Comodo.

In both cases I did confirm with the AV suppliers the safety of my intentions, and I suggest you also seek advice before following in my steps.

Thanks for your reply Alan.

An easy informative test might be to unplug the Internet before starting up.

I had no problem originally when I used a SpeedTouch USB connected modem that logged into my ISP after I had logged into Windows.

The icon problem only occurred after this was replaced by an Ethernet connected Netgear Router/Modem that was "always on" and connected to my ISP,

because that allowed ESET to initiate a signature update about one minute before Windows was ready to let me log on,

so much of the CPU resources were fully committed during the time period that icons could appear.

I thought I`d share it with you, the solution to this issue is [in the meantime-5 reboots, so far so good] :

I disabled SSDP Discovery Service, and icons are back in town... for now.

SSDP - I remember it well :angry:

Actually I do not remember much about it other than the sheer horror that by default Microsoft intended to allow the Internet to Plug and Play with my personal computer :o