Price of custom built computer?

The New Guy

Hi, I thought this might be a suitable place to ask. Well, the question is; how much would i need to save if I wanted to create a custom made top-of-the-line gaming PC purely designed and will run only games? I'm having a rough guess around $4000.. <_<:blink: not including thos nice visual things like neons and LED lights etc all around and inside the computer....how about anyone else? How much do you think it's gonna cost? :wacko: Maybe with all those nice looking things that might make my computer look like it came from some really hi-tech world - I'd say about $6000...?

What you see is what you get. :)

• Moderators

This is such a broad question. My answer is that you can get a PC at whatever price you want, start with what you want the computer to do. You can get a very capable gaming pc under $1000 or you can go top of the line and pay 5-6 thousand. Your going to have to decide that. I suggest you do some browsing on this forum:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html

You will see tons of people asking this same question and lots of different answers. Tom's Hardware also has a lot of benchmarks and "budget" ideas to help you decide what you should spend to get the results you want.

My rig cost me about $850 to build about two years ago. It's pretty subjective, but ~$1000 will pretty much run any game you want it to (on max settings of course) for the next couple of years if you buy the right hardware

Really? ..any game? At maxed out visual settings? running at at least 60 or more fps? Includes Metro 2033? Crysis 2? Others?

This is such a broad question. My answer is that you can get a PC at whatever price you want, start with what you want the computer to do. You can get a very capable gaming pc under $1000 or you can go top of the line and pay 5-6 thousand. Your going to have to decide that. I suggest you do some browsing on this forum:

http://www.tomshardw...m/forum-31.html

You will see tons of people asking this same question and lots of different answers. Tom's Hardware also has a lot of benchmarks and "budget" ideas to help you decide what you should spend to get the results you want.

Well, ever since pure gaming is what I've always been done(for the past 3 or so years...) my last build was 6 years ago and that costed around 1000 - 1500 dollars....Now, I wanted to know how much a top of the line 2012 or 2013 gaming PC would cost...so I can build my next one. Just need to accumulate money, is obviously the first step...

yeah, maybe capable, but I'm wanting a computer that can play any games at 60fps or higher at any resolution. I don't want a computer that can just barely make it to 30 at maxed out everything in visual settings and in highest resolution possible....I've never had a build that could do that, now I want it - atleast for once in my life....a nice PC, can run any games at 60fps or higher at maxed out visual settings at maximum resolution...that's the reason behind that question...

Now for that link, whoaaaa, 1000 pages of topics, more than that of posts!? wow. Probably very time consuming this is, but atleast you get there. Just give up a quater or half your life just to read all those....yeah?

But anyways, I guess I'm on the right track, about 5 gran....gosh...a lot to save up and I don't have a job to help! Could win the lotto though...but that obiously won't happen....

• Moderators

You want to spend $5000 on a pc but wont spend 20 minutes looking at a link about people building high end PCs?

I obviously didn't want you to read every single topic, but if you spent more than 2 seconds reading that site you would see that there are tons of people trying to build the "best pc" for their budget. You need to decide what you can spend first and then go from there. Prices change every day and the people on Toms always post the best deals at any given time in those threads.

However since you mentioned it, I suggest you get a job first....

Yeah, this is the perfect economic environment you need to get a job. :unsure:

Hmmmm, yes....soooon, of course.... :ph34r: Don't know if I'm good enough for their expectations... :( Oh, the interview, if I even get to that stage, will probably be the hardest to get pass... :unsure:

If you want a PC that can run it with 60 FPS all the time, I would suggest looking at quality video cards.

Great 2/D 3/D video cards can do wonders for frame rates, although you still need a decent PC.

I would think you can easily get 60 FPS for less $6k easy... $3k as well. Maybe even $1.5k or less.

Tip: If you allow refurb computers, you may be able to get out cheaper on your quest for the PC part of the deal.

If you want a PC that can run it with 60 FPS all the time, I would suggest looking at quality video cards.

Great 2/D 3/D video cards can do wonders for frame rates, although you still need a decent PC.

I would think you can easily get 60 FPS for less $6k easy... $3k as well. Maybe even $1.5k or less.

Tip: If you allow refurb computers, you may be able to get out cheaper on your quest for the PC part of the deal.

Ha, yeah the card would have to be a top of the line one if you want it to keep it at, and beyond 60fps in any game, even the ones released this year....

1.5k dollars seem, yes quite good enough for me, but I heard that even at this price range, some games just play at around 30 - 40 or even less at maximum graphics settings.... Now 3k dollars, that would be something I might be heading towards....but the price figure is what keeps me away from it....but, if you choose the right gear to balance it all out, that "should" be enough....of course minus the visuals, so stock everything, except hardware that's not related to looks, ie CPU GPU etc. Hm, $6k, seems like a more reasonable price estimation to a top of the line gaming rig....with or without them nice looks....hm, I would assume a top of the line gaming rig would be something along the lines of this list:

- CPU: Top of the line for pure gaming, in this case; that would be the (since I favour Intel over AMD) Core i7 xxxxx and maybe OC'

- GPU: Quad SLI Asus Mars II (I actually always wanted the Mars series but never get the chance to buy them coz their too expensive.... :( ) yes, four seperate Asus Mars II graphics cards, not two. *apprently this is also the world's most powerful graphics card

- RAM: Probably maxed out RAM capacity and speed settings that the motherboard can support! :D Maybe OC' too!

- Motherboard: Pure gaming one, that doesn't have those un-nesseccary assesories....(so it's just drivers + OC' software(OC' software isn't that needed unless you plan to OC' everything, which I don't need, which just only leaves the optimised drivers for gaming :P ) and that's it)

- PSU: One that can support quad SLI of Mars II and CPU and is certified for OC' (Basically built for any pure gaming rigs...)

- Case: probably a big ass one to fit all those things in

- Cooling: Most probably water cooled....

- HDD/SSD: 1 SDD dedicated to OS, another SSD to games....

- OS: That would be my picking....Probably quad boot it.....or maybe dual boot....

All that = my dream gaming rig! B)^_^ *sigh* one can only dream.... :rolleyes:

Your best bet is to find a high quality video card capable of constant 60 FPS, then build your gaming rig around your video card needs.

A 256 Bit / GDDR5 / 1 GB / 800 stream processors / PCIe 32 X video card will need more power than slower cards will.

Be sure to select a quality SATA motherboard with high performance RAM & a high quality power supply that will give your video card the power it needs to run properly.

There are 10,000 & 15,000 RPM SATA HDD drives that have very good performance & throughput while writing & reading. While SSD are fast, writes involving thousands of smaller writes can bottleneck them. SSD are great at large file transfers.

Research, use refurb if you have to, & you should do great.

When looking a monitor to use, LCD use 75% less power than CRT. LED have sharper contrast & better colors, but LCD lasts longer, I have heard.

* Be sure you select High Performance for your power plan in the control panel. Many people forget that on flip chip systems, this can half your performance, or even 1/3 it depending on how fast your chip is. Usually, this affects netbook/ultrabook/laptops the most, but it may help desktop performance.

Don't forget cooling. Fast machines need better cooling, so you should select high quality fans & ensure to allow for the extra power draw they use. If a machine runs hot, it slows down, so keep that in mind as well.

The following link may interest you on machines others have built that play 60 FPS games well:

http://battlefieldo....pecs-here.3817/

Your best bet is to find a high quality video card capable of constant 60 FPS, then build your gaming rig around your video card needs.

A 256 Bit / GDDR5 / 1 GB / 800 stream processors / PCIe 32 X video card will need more power than slower cards will.

Be sure to select a quality SATA motherboard with high performance RAM & a high quality power supply that will give your video card the power it needs to run properly.

There are 10,000 & 15,000 RPM SATA HDD drives that have very good performance & throughput while writing & reading. While SSD are fast, writes involving thousands of smaller writes can bottleneck them. SSD are great at large file transfers.

Research, use refurb if you have to, & you should do great.

When looking a monitor to use, LCD use 75% less power than CRT. LED have sharper contrast & better colors, but LCD lasts longer, I have heard.

* Be sure you select High Performance for your power plan in the control panel. Many people forget that on flip chip systems, this can half your performance, or even 1/3 it depending on how fast your chip is. Usually, this affects netbook/ultrabook/laptops the most, but it may help desktop performance.

Don't forget cooling. Fast machines need better cooling, so you should select high quality fans & ensure to allow for the extra power draw they use. If a machine runs hot, it slows down, so keep that in mind as well.

The following link may interest you on machines others have built that play 60 FPS games well:

http://battlefieldo....pecs-here.3817/

So....SSDs are best for large files but HDDs are best for smaller files?

Refurb? Ha, like upgrade my existing computer?

LCDs use 75% less power than CRTs? How come they both take in full 240 volts of power from the wall, then? I had always thought CRTs had better colours, more vivid and image/picture was more smooth...or maybe coz all my computers use CRTs? ...you need to run the native resolution for LCD screens to look their best, otherwise they can be ugly....CRTs, resolution change doesn't affect image quality, besides the fact that it gets bigger or smaller. Don't know which lasts longer...

I'm not looking into building a laptop....

watercooling as I stated before might be best for most efficient way.

So....SSDs are best for large files but HDDs are best for smaller files? -> Depends how many smaller files you are using, but yest, HDD do better when handling lots of them

Refurb? Ha, like upgrade my existing computer? -> Not sure how fast your existing computer is... Hard to know.

LCDs use 75% less power than CRTs? How come they both take in full 240 volts of power from the wall, then? -> Step down transformer inside it. How would you power it if you could not plug it into the wall?

I had always thought CRTs had better colours, more vivid and image/picture was more smooth...or maybe coz all my computers use CRTs? ...you need to run the native resolution for LCD screens to look their best, otherwise they can be ugly....CRTs, resolution change doesn't affect image quality, besides the fact that it gets bigger or smaller. Don't know which lasts longer... -> Had an NEC CRT that lasted 10 years. Some may last longer. CRT have good quality. LCD are getting better. Mine has 5 MS screen refresh, & that isn't too bad, really. Sometimes changing res will make it look crappy on LCD, but not always. Newer can look good. I have a proview LCD that does fine.

watercooling as I stated before might be best for most efficient way. -> Might be, but probably not necessary. Really depends on what you get.

So....SSDs are best for large files but HDDs are best for smaller files? -> Depends how many smaller files you are using, but yest, HDD do better when handling lots of them

well...I'm guessing that's why it takes forever to transfer small files from my flash drive on to my HDD....But still, it's solid performance...performance shouldn't be affected by the size of the file....it should transfer files in groups or clusters...that's how I thought transfer of flash or solid based disk would do....

Refurb? Ha, like upgrade my existing computer? -> Not sure how fast your existing computer is... Hard to know.
Welll, here's my tower specs if you think it's upgradeable:

- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300

- GPU: Inno3D 9400GT

- Motherboard: Intel DP965LT

- RAM: 4GB DDR2800 SDRAM

- HDD: 80GB SATA HDD dedicated to OS and programs, another 500GB PATA drive dedicated to games...

- Case: Beige Mid ATX Tower ( I think that's what it is...)

- Optical Drive: LG DVD RAM burner drive

- FDD: Yes.

- Monitor: 17' CRT Sonic View (and some model number I don't know...)

- Standard Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse - both using PS2 ports...

- ...and I think that's about it, unless you want more info?

LCDs use 75% less power than CRTs? How come they both take in full 240 volts of power from the wall, then? -> Step down transformer inside it. How would you power it if you could not plug it into the wall?
You can't unless it uses batteries....Do the chargers count?
I had always thought CRTs had better colours, more vivid and image/picture was more smooth...or maybe coz all my computers use CRTs? ...you need to run the native resolution for LCD screens to look their best, otherwise they can be ugly....CRTs, resolution change doesn't affect image quality, besides the fact that it gets bigger or smaller. Don't know which lasts longer... -> Had an NEC CRT that lasted 10 years. Some may last longer. CRT have good quality. LCD are getting better. Mine has 5 MS screen refresh, & that isn't too bad, really. Sometimes changing res will make it look crappy on LCD, but not always. Newer can look good. I have a proview LCD that does fine.
I don't think CRTs have the xMS screen refresh rate...maybe because it's constant regardless...which, I guess would mean why it's picture/motion is smoother than that of a LCD....Vibrancy would be different on different CRT monitors....The size of the LCD monitor must match that of the overall computer you're building. So you're not gonna stick a 30 inch LCD on a office performance like computer and play games on that at max settings with max resolution....you need to balance it out as I have figured...

watercooling as I stated before might be best for most efficient way. -> Might be, but probably not necessary. Really depends on what you get.

-> top of the line CPU, would definitely benefit from water cooling system, maybe a top of the ling GPU too! Now I hear the GTX680s are out! Not sure how much performance they are more than of the gtx580, but I'm sure it's still more. But that won't beat the grand performance of the Asus Mars II! Hahaha....

SSDs are overall faster than HDDs and they are constantly getting better and faster.

Other SSD pros:

- No moving parts = no sound

- No moving parts = doesn't get broken as easily

- Better (lower) power consumption

- Smaller size (easier to install etc.)

Depends on your use, but if you play games you probably should get new:

- SSD (for Windows / Software / Games)

- Motherboard

- RAM

- depends on use but ~8GB DDR3 is usually enough

- CPU

- Ivy Bridge i7 or i5 (quad / 4-core)

- GPU

- best single-card GPU AMD 7990 or NVIDIA GTX690 (both dual-core GPUs) or cheaper single-core eg. AMD 7970/7950 or NVIDIA GTX680

- Not mandatory but maybe some good SATA3 HDD for storage etc

- I'd recommend a new monitor, too. Size from 20"-26" depends on the space and how close you sit. IPS-panel monitors are better, but TN-panels are cheaper.

All of this depends on how much you could spend on your new PC.

Edited by nodles

SSDs are overall faster than HDDs and they are constantly getting better and faster.

Other SSD pros:

- No moving parts = no sound

- No moving parts = doesn't get broken as easily

- Better (lower) power consumption

- Smaller size (easier to install etc.)

Hm...never seen an SSD before....I know some things good about it, but haven't seen one though....how small are they? are they like 2 and half inch? same as standard 3.5 insh HDDs? How quite are they? Are they "really" that quite that you can't even hear the, working, even if you're pushing it? So if I got an SSD, I can just drop it from a height of about 1 metres and it won't break? Power consumption is good, less than that of a HDD...

Are there any negatives to SSDs? Besides what Super Fast said, if that's even true....?

Depends on your use, but if you play games you probably should get new:

- SSD (for Windows / Software / Games)

- Motherboard

- RAM

- depends on use but ~8GB DDR3 is usually enough

- CPU

- Ivy Bridge i7 or i5 (quad / 4-core)

- GPU

- best single-card GPU AMD 7990 or NVIDIA GTX690 (both dual-core GPUs) or cheaper single-core eg. AMD 7970/7950 or NVIDIA GTX680

- Not mandatory but maybe some good SATA3 HDD for storage etc

- I'd recommend a new monitor, too. Size from 20"-26" depends on the space and how close you sit. IPS-panel monitors are better, but TN-panels are cheaper.

All of this depends on how much you could spend on your new PC.

Yeah...something along those lines, if I can't get my preferred parts....Ivy Bridge is newer than Sandy right? and better too? I might SLI or Tri-SLI or even Quad-SLI my graphics cards if I can....if the motherboard I pick supports it, of course...You don't recommend any CRT monitors? I see... <_< I know, I know they're out dated and no shops sells them anymore....but thought I could use an existing one at home...just need to find a 19 inch or bigger CRT monitor....I like 5:4 aspect ratio, or maybe 4:5....so I'm a square man. Wide-screen, are for watching movies....Oh great - there's more to it to LCD monitors!? Wow....IPS and TN....hmm.....there's actually another - VA....wow....so much research just to get your parts.... :o

• Moderators

Boucing around bored at work, looking for a motherboards to fit Specifications listed here I came across this page that well could be the answer you are looking for

http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/gaming-desktop-computer.html

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Hm...never seen an SSD before....I know some things good about it, but haven't seen one though....how small are they? are they like 2 and half inch? same as standard 3.5 insh HDDs? How quite are they? Are they "really" that quite that you can't even hear the, working, even if you're pushing it? So if I got an SSD, I can just drop it from a height of about 1 metres and it won't break? Power consumption is good, less than that of a HDD...

Are there any negatives to SSDs? Besides what Super Fast said, if that's even true....?

Yeah...something along those lines, if I can't get my preferred parts....Ivy Bridge is newer than Sandy right? and better too? I might SLI or Tri-SLI or even Quad-SLI my graphics cards if I can....if the motherboard I pick supports it, of course...You don't recommend any CRT monitors? I see... <_< I know, I know they're out dated and no shops sells them anymore....but thought I could use an existing one at home...just need to find a 19 inch or bigger CRT monitor....I like 5:4 aspect ratio, or maybe 4:5....so I'm a square man. Wide-screen, are for watching movies....Oh great - there's more to it to LCD monitors!? Wow....IPS and TN....hmm.....there's actually another - VA....wow....so much research just to get your parts.... :o

Why would you want to drop your SSD from 1m height? :D

SSDs usually are "2.5 and they are silent as USB-stick. :D

Yes, Ivy Bridge is newer than Sandy Bridge, also better. I wouldn't suggest SLI, at least not tri- or quad-SLI. Nah, wouldn't recommend a CRT monitor anymore. Yeah, there's more to it to LCD monitors.. ;)

Boucing around bored at work, looking for a motherboards to fit Specifications listed here I came across this page that well could be the answer you are looking for

http://www.build-gam...p-computer.html

Pretty basic build, there's some parts I wouldn't choose and the guide is a bit out-dated.

SSD = Solid State Drive.

No whirly clicky bangy bits inside like a HDD :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know what it stands for. But I don't believe they don't make much noise until I get one.... ^_^

Why would you want to drop your SSD from 1m height? :D

Because you said they're not easily broken! Hahahahahah!! :lol:

SSDs usually are "2.5 and they are silent as USB-stick. :D

Hm, I'll believe that statement when I get mine! :P
Yes, Ivy Bridge is newer than Sandy Bridge, also better.
Okay. :)
I wouldn't suggest SLI, at least not tri- or quad-SLI.
Why wouldn't you recommend SLI? :huh: It doubles game's fps in SLI, should triple fps in Tri mode and quadrible that(not from Tri mode but in normal mode) in Quad-SLI. -_-
Nah, wouldn't recommend a CRT monitor anymore.
... :mellow:
Yeah, there's more to it to LCD monitors.. ;)
Oh boy.... :unsure:

Pretty basic build, there's some parts I wouldn't choose and the guide is a bit out-dated.
The extreme build guide is pretty good I must say...for $4000.... ^_^ - and that's without those nice visuals....But yes, it's a bit outdatedd...maybe one for 2013 sometime coz that'll mostly likely be when I'll build my dream gaming rig...but I guess I could do it sometime towards the end of the year...if I get that kind of money... ^_^ What else do you think is missing or what should be altered in that guide?

Hmmm, didn't know you needed a dedicated sound card to your extreme gaming rig....I thought onboard sound was good enough...they already support EAX 5 or/and some other audio capabilities...But if you do, maybe onboard sound is "crap", I'd want one that has a digital optic outlet as I might hook the audio to a my home theater surround sound system, maybe 5.1 or 7.1....Make it the best audio gaming experience ever for me! :D^_^

Yeah, I know what it stands for. But I don't believe they don't make much noise until I get one.... ^_^

Sorry, I am wrong and you are right.

If you drop it 1 mtr onto a sleeping cat then you will hear a noise :o

But yes, it's a bit outdatedd...maybe one for 2013 sometime coz that'll mostly likely be when I'll build my dream gaming rig...but I guess I could do it sometime towards the end of the year...if I get that kind of money... ^_^ What else do you think is missing or what should be altered in that guide?

Then you should wait for year 2013. Nobody knows what will be the best componentes then and with what price. Also you'd know your budjet better so you/we/I wouldn't have to guess if you (ever) get eg. 6000$ or even 3000$ and your opinions might change during this time. You might not need such overpriced PC anymore. :P