About the Drive Wiper

nike123

I need help about the paragraph

"Note: CCleaner can only securely delete files which have not yet been deleted from the Recycle Bin. If you have already delete files insecurely (for example, using Windows Explorer), you can delete them securely using Recuva." posted here : http://www.piriform....leaner-settings

So - I created an empty text document in My doxcuments folder, which is on drive E and deleted it to be in the Recycle Bin and when I performed "wipe free space" for drive E with Ccleaner after that it was still there (in the Recycle Bin) so this is quite misleading.

Otherwise - yes, if I perform either "Wipe Free Space" or "Entrie Drive" - the files still can be found after that with a deep dcan' using Recuva. If I choose "securely overwrite checked/highlighted files" - then after all they are deleted forever.

But isn't this above quite wrong ?

• Moderators

It's awkwardly phrased but not misleading.

Wipe Free Space is not Secure Delete Files, they are two different functions. If you delete something to the recycler it's not deleted, it's in the recycler waiting to be finally dispatched. Wipe Free Space does not touch the recycler, as it isn't free space.

The paragraph is saying that if you want to use secure file deletion then you can only delete live files and files that are in the recycler. If you've already deleted files insecurely you can use Recuva to find and overwrite them.

If you're saying that you've run a wipe free space and can then find deleted files please post more info.