CCleaner erases localStorage data from Safari?

IgorX

I have written couple of extension for Safari, and about a month ago some users started reporting sudden extension data loss. Today I discovered that you software is erasing localStorage data which I'm using to store extension settings.

Considering that this is not some temporary unimportant data can you please not delete this data or at least warn users about possible outcome of such operation?

• Moderators

They need to use the exclude feature (On windows it's right click a file in the analysis and choose exclude (you'll need to tell them exactly what files to exclude) i assume the MAC version is similar.) while it is true that some apps and addons make use of localstorage so do a lot of crap sites and 3rd party advertisers.

Local Storage (i believe) is treated via the cookies section, therefore (if this is also the case with safari) they could even just move your localstorage cookies to the Cookies to keep column in Options>Cookies

Sadly I (and most of the poster in this forum since CC4MAC is so new) only have (safari for) windows, but if you have one you could link me to your addon (or PM me a copy if it's $$) I'll install it to the windows safari and you can show me the files removed so I can give you better exclude directions for them, or you could download CCLeaner MAC and do it yourself.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Yes, Local Storage is erased by selecting Safari > Cookies section. But CCleaner shows only ordinary cookies in Options > Cookies, I can't exclude local storage data from there.

Safari is keeping extension localStorage in "safari-extension_{extension-id}" domains, it should be relatively easy for CCleaner to exclude extension data when erasing local storage. When I use "Reset Safari" option (in Safari) it deletes localStorage from other websites but not from extensions, that's the behavior I would expect from CCleaner as well.

localstorage.png

Not to point fingers- and of course- I am not pratisicing what I preach ;)- but shouldn't you have done an "analysis" first before you deleted stuff?

Could you save your extensions to a specific folder that ccleaner would not scan automatically?

Also with a Mac- isn't it much easier to recover lost information than a cantankerous PC-Microslop system?

Not attempting to be a smart-ash. Just some ideas you've probably already thought of.

I think you misunderstood me, I developed extension for Safari and users of my extension had their data erased by CCleaner. Plus, even if you do analysis there is no way you can tell that CCleaner will delete localStorage when it just says "Cookies".

• Moderators

the developers read all threads, though rarely comment however (I believe) it is indeed a bug if localstorage items seen't listed in the cookies option. I'll try to point them to this.

For now, as a stopgap, please tell your users to analyze and exclude your settings files.. on the analyze if you double click the word "cookies" in the analysis you should be able to see details.

I'll attempt to get ahold of a mac and attempt it, can you PM me with your extension in case I can.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

just to update you, the devs have seen this thread and are embarking on a fix post haste for a near future version

For now, as a stopgap, please tell your users to analyze and exclude your settings files.. on the analyze if you double click the word "cookies" in the analysis you should be able to see details.

I saw that possibility in CCleaner for Windows, but on Mac I can't double click "cookies". I'm not a Mac user, so I might be overlooking something. :)

I'll attempt to get ahold of a mac and attempt it, can you PM me with your extension in case I can.

My extension in question is "Block Yourself from Analytics". Some of the more popular extensions that use localStorage: GMail Counter, My eBay Manager, WOT, Firebug Lite for Safari.

just to update you, the devs have seen this thread and are embarking on a fix post haste for a near future version

Good to know, thanks.