System Restore Problems

dcd715

Further to my post of 13th December can someone please offer advice or help.

Since my previous post I have completely reformatted and installed XPSP2 and software on my PC. On using windows system restore as in my previous post no problems restoring to an earlier time. I then installed ccleaner and yet again system cannot be restored to an earlier time regardless of which restore point I select.

As this has now happened 3 times I feel sure someone must have experienced a similar problem and would appreciate any help or advice please.

Regards

• Moderators

I've never had that problem with CCleaner and I've used System Restore a few times within the past 1 1/2 years since I began using CCleaner. However nowadays (well the past few months) I don't rely upon nor put much faith into System Restore since it doesn't necessarily always 100% put the registry back to the way it was beforehand, hence the reason I now reply upon a known good registry backup using Lars Hederer's ERUNT.

• Moderators

I have a question. From what you can see is it actually wiping your restore points or is it just making it not work? The reason I ask is I just cleaned 20gb worth of system restore off my machine yesterday.(So I know it dosent delete them)

I'm with andavari though. I put ccleaner on numerous machines in which I have used system restore. I havent had a problem with it yet, but you seem to have narrowed down any other possibilities.

Hi To All, Thank you for your responses.

To pwillener your suggested forum solved the problem. By using Ccleaner and then creating a restore point, the system can be restored completely to the new point created, all other points prior to using ccleaner cannot be restored.

To rridgely, using the default settings of ccleaner as from installation, having run ccleaner with these default settings, system restore points are still shown e.g system checkpoint, new software installation, application removed etc, when selecting any restore point windows attempts to restore and upon restart displays a window stating windows cannot be restored to this point.

Having created a manual system restore point after using ccleaner with no problems I can only summise that the problem is due to cleaning the registry of windows, which then causes the problem.

Once again many thanks to you all, keep up the good work on this forum.

Kindest Regards

Your right. Since I use ccleaner my system restore has stopped working. My system restore used to work long time ago until I found out about ccleaner. I recently re-installed Windows and found out that the system restore stopped working. No checkpoints have worked on my computer whatsoever after using ccleaner. I use it all time, mostly after I uninstall the stuff that the computer has left behind and some of the things that Compaq has left behind. I am even using the admin account to clean it.

IPB Image

Hi to All

I use the default settings of Ccleaner as I am unsure how to use winapp2, I run Ccleaner for general clean and then check for issues if any are found I clean and save the reg file of items deleted. On attempting a system restore points are listed but windows is unable to restore to any of the points selected, if the deleted reg file is reinstalled, system restore still cannot restore to any of the points shown.

Could it be a problem with removing the issues part of the program? I cannot try without using issues, as obviously the restore points have already been affected.

Kindest Regards