Sandboxie, Firefox 10 & Windows Vista:(

craigathus

Hi guys:)

Just wondering if anyones having problems with Windows Vista's "DEP" (data execution prevention) not letting FF or even Google Chrome start while Sandboxed?

This is driving me nuts!

I've looked on Mozilla's site for help... :(

It dosn't happen all the time... but when it does:( it takes about 3 or 4 goes at getting a browser up and running in sandbox mode.

Mozilla's ever popular Thunderbird runs sandboxed with no problems?

I don't like to... however I can run FF & Google Chrome un-sandboxed.

Any ideas?

Craig:)

Hi nodles:)

Yes I have the latest version of Sandboxie installed.

Hi craig.

Are you using Avast, in particular the new Avast 7?

http://forum.pirifor...showtopic=35272

If not, I've no idea mate. :)

Hi there Dennis:)

I am using avast! :) and the version is > 7.0.1407 and about to be updated to 7.0.1426

Also I have tried to add "FF exe" to the Windows "DEP" ignore list... if makes any sence? however Windows say's I can't do that:(

And "nodles" I havn't tried disabling UAC in Vista.

I'll check out the above link... thanks Dennis:)

Craig

Ok after checking out your link Dennis I have 1 question?

Did you get the Windows message about Firefox not starting because it was a "DEP" issue?

Craig

• Moderators

I didn't get any message at all Craig, I'm on XP and all that happened was a blank window opened, where Firefox should eventually appear, and then nothing, it just hung there.

I went back to Avast 5 as I couldn't revert 7 to 6 as I explained in that other thread.

I've since gone back to 6 via a System Drive "Image restore" for something else, and I'm staying with it.

• Moderators

It's not really out of date effectiveness wise.

Still gets the same regular database updates, and still does exactly the same job, but without the added features I don't want.

I would happily go back to version 5 as it also gets the job done, again without added features I don't want, which appeared in the later versions. In version 6 I switched a feature off. in version 5, I didn't have to change a thing.

Upgrades are not always an improvement. Judge something on how effective it is for you, and not by version number and new features, and other folks opinions.

Now that sounds a wee bit sarcastic, and aimed back at you, but it honestly isn't. It's just the way I look at things and it's a general statement not directed to anyone in particular.

I've kept a clean machine for almost 6 years now, and believe me I do get about. So I'm doing something right.

:)

EDIT: Just for info, the clean machine is also protected by XP's lowly one way firewall, and has been for 6 years except for a couple of very short trials of the two way variety.

Set it and forget it. Works for me.

Still having the same problems with the latest avast programe version > 7.0.1426

Firefox starts and is Sandboxed if! I wait a few seconds longer before clicking OK in the "Run Sandboxed" - "Default Box" window. :)

It seems that waiting a bit longer before clicking the OK button or hitting the Enter key does the trick :)

Edited by craigathus

• Moderators

I'm pleased you can get it working Craig, but just out of curiosity, have you tried it with Avast7's "Script Shield" disabled?

Strangely enough, the script shield in version 6 doesn't affect Firefox and Sandboxie the way it does in version 7. They must have "improved" it. :lol:

As I say, just curious.

I'm pleased you can get it working Craig, but just out of curiosity, have you tried it with Avast7's "Script Shield" disabled?

Strangely enough, the script shield in version 6 doesn't affect Firefox and Sandboxie the way it does in version 7. They must have "improved" it. :lol:

As I say, just curious.

Hi Dennis

At the time of my last post I hadn't tried stopping the "Script Shield" however now thats the only way I can get FF running Sandboxed :(

I just hope avast fix the problem soon!

Craig

• Moderators

I would have suggested going back to version 6, but 7 won't let you install 6. It would be a case of completely removing version 7 and then installing 6.

I'm at 6's and 7's here trying to explain this. :lol:

You know what I mean.

I would have suggested going back to version 6, but 7 won't let you install 6. It would be a case of completely removing version 7 and then installing 6.

I'm at 6's and 7's here trying to explain this. :lol:

You know what I mean.

OK I'm done with pointing the finger at avast! I think windoz vista and it's UAC & DEP... blablabla is the causing me and others problems!

Now if I "check" the box > "Run As UAC Administrator" in the "Run Sanboxed" window and then click "OK" I'm asked by Sandboxie & windoz UAC if I want to continue...

Now if I click cancel and then try to start FF sandboxed as per normal... all is good :)

I only need to do this once a day, or only after booting up my PC, or restarting my PC, after the first annoying windoz rubish to do with UAC & DEP... and then going through the procedure above' windoz dosn't give me any more grief!

Disabling avast Script Shield dosn't seem to make a difference any more.

Sorry bout mi spielling :) blame FF for no spell check working:)

Craig

Good on you Craig, get stuck into Vista. Show no mercy!

Although my problem was with XP. :lol:

he he he :D

I might be barking up the wrong tree by blaming windoz.

Don't tell anyone Dennis... I actually like vista B)

I've just about got you back as a regular now Craig, although I promise not to reply anymore ... except for this one. :lol:

:)