Defrag all drives

update

Hi

I've got more than one drive and more than one partiton. Sometimes I defrag every Drive include USB flash drives. But I can't drive everything with one click, I always have to start the next defrag.

I think it's not verry difficult to develope an option like 'Defrag them all' or 'Defrag Checked Drives'.

My English is not verry good, but I hope I can help. =)

• Moderators

Hi update.

Defraggler can already do this, although it does them sequentially, as opposed to concurrently.

http://www.piriform.com/docs/defraggler/introducing-defraggler/what-it-can-and-can't-do

Shift\Select the drives you want to defrag, and the drives after the first being defragged will show in the drive list as "Queued".

• Moderators

Rote point: don't ever defrag flash or SSD. you get no benefit & will kill your drive faster. to defrag flash, cut everything from the drive paste to your computer, cut it from your computer & paste it to your drive

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Dennis is right. Although, it would be nice to have the option to defrag multiple drives at a time.

Reason being, my computer is fast enough to handle 8 or more drives defragging at the same time. And it is just plain faster that way. Especially if you got the power to handle it!

SSD & Flash drives, like Nergal said, don't need to be defragged. The cells have limited life cycles, & it kills them faster...

Hope Defraggler includes the option in future versions to ignore flash/floppy drives!

Hi

If some drive in system is mapped to NTFS folder than Defraggler don't see it.

I think the defraggler must have options to defragmentation all disks in computer.

All drives in computer

post-61282-0-14716200-1332237253_thumb.png

All drive avaleble in defraggler

post-61282-0-33609600-1332237255_thumb.png

• Moderators

Hi VP11, and welcome to the forum.

I think your problem there is Defraggler isn't picking up those other drives because they don't have drive letters assigned to them, so it isn't seeing them.

Here I have 2 internal desktop drives, and two external drives connected via USB, and all drives including their partitions are picked up because they have drive letters.

I've simply blanked the empty USB ports for clarity.

Try assigning drive letters to them and see if that fixes things.

Hope that helps.

I think your problem there is Defraggler isn't picking up those other drives because they don't have drive letters assigned to them, so it isn't seeing them.

Try assigning drive letters to them and see if that fixes things.

I don't have available letters, all letters used by Novell or cardreader.

Why defragmenter of system can read my drive, but Defraggler don't read??

post-61282-0-09632500-1332325177_thumb.png post-61282-0-77382400-1332325186_thumb.png

I think, it is problem to add options to read drive what mapped to NTFS folder.

Gadget "Drives Monitor" at the beginning didn't see all drives, but has been revised and work fine.

post-61282-0-84661700-1332326079_thumb.png

• Moderators

Hi again.

I take your point about Windows own defrag picking up those partitions, and it does on my XP system, but without a drive letter another integral part of Windows, "Windows Explorer" doesn't see drives. They don't show in "My Computer".

Not being awkward here, but are you sure you've used up all available letters in the alphabet? Have you tried to assign drive letters to those locations which don't carry one?

I've just done some testing by removing the drive letter from my 2nd internal hard drive, and every program I've launched can not see that drive. Programs like ..

Windows Explorer itself: I can't move copy or delete from that drive without it having a letter.

Q-Dir, a multi-window alternative to Windows Explorer.

ImgBurn: ISO's DVD's etc.

Burrrn: CD burning software.

MPlayer: My movie and video player.

Calibre: eBook converter.

You see the point I'm making. That drive just may as well not be there as I can't do anything with it without a drive letter.

How are you using those partitions? Are you able to copy move and delete files etc..

Of course it's your choice how you have your computer set up, but I can't see the devs on here, or the developers of other software modifying their programs to work with drives which don't have letters assigned to them.

I could be wrong of course, and the devs do read all threads, so you never know.

One final point, I often use another defrag program "Auslogics Disk Defrag", and that can't see a drive without a letter either. So it isn't just defraggler.

Just some thoughts for you, and I hope you find them helpful.

:)

I take your point about Windows own defrag picking up those partitions, and it does on my XP system

Is it possible that Windows own defrag is using secret UN-published API's to which third party defraggers have no access or relevant information.

I seem to remember that third party companies developed a market for Internet Browsers and Applications aimed at the office,

after which Microsoft stole their ideas and developed Internet Explorer / Windows Office etc.,

using unfair and illegal advantages by having exclusive access to secret low level Windows features, API's etc.

I think Microsoft may have also added special bits into Windows specifically to benefit Microsoft Applications.

Therefore both the EU Commission and United States Department of Justice have attempted to break up Microsoft to prevent such illegal abuse.

If Microsoft Defrag has unique advantages over all third party defraggers then we have evidence that Microsoft is still as unethical as ever.

I do not expect leopards to lose their spots either.

• Moderators

I've no idea Alan, as there are programs which can pick up a drive without an assigned letter, but I would guess they are few and far betwwen. I know of one professional Data Recovery application which can, and partitioning software can.

More to the point for VP11, is the important software which can't see a drive without a letter.

With my 2nd internal hard drive carrying no letter, these programs can't see it ...

Avast Antivurus (Home)

MBAM

SuperAntiSpyware

... and as a consequence I can't scan them.

Hi again.

I take your point about Windows own defrag picking up those partitions, and it does on my XP system, but without a drive letter another integral part of Windows, "Windows Explorer" doesn't see drives. They don't show in "My Computer".

Hi,

some drive in system is mapped to NTFS folder

I had in mind that the drive is mapped to NTFS folder. If the disk does not have a letter or not mapped into folder, defragmentator of system does not see the partition.

post-61282-0-05934500-1332415285_thumb.png post-61282-0-64215400-1332415291_thumb.png

More to the point for VP11, is the important software which can't see a drive without a letter.

When I asked to correct gadget "Driver Monitor", the author sent me program - wmiexplorer through which he learned how to read the information about that disk.

The figure shows which partitions are mapped (in Windows XP don't work).

post-61282-0-45203100-1332416051_thumb.png

In other programs (word, totalcmd) the disk used as folder.

Total Commander change information about disk, when changed partition (drive).

post-61282-0-47169900-1332417292_thumb.png post-61282-0-74368600-1332417299_thumb.png

• Moderators

My apologies VP, I'm actually now on the same wavelength as you.

Mounting a drive to an NTFS folder is something I've never done, and consequently I've been referring to your setup as basic external drives. And the fact that none of the other guys have jumped on me, suggests I may not the only one. :)

I've only just done some quick reading on the subject, and I'm not too sure of the benefits of a set up like that, but as I mentioned above, the devs do read all posts, and may take this kind of set up into account with some future version of Defraggler.

And just for the record, some of the programs I mention above can see the mounted folders, which of course don't have drive letters.

• Moderators

Just done some more reading on this, and I don't mind admitting, this is new to me. I can't recollect it being mentioned on the forum in the years I've been here.

Unless, this is the self same seemingly complicated "Folder Junctions" trickery, which I have seen mentioned on here.

For anyone interested, some useful reading in a book I found ...

"Windows XP home edition: the missing manual"

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

And a quote from that book ...

Turn A Drive Into A Folder:

Talk about Techie: Most people go their entire lives without needing this feature, or even imagining it exists

I don't think I'll ever be in a position to need this feature, but it sure would be useful to remap your "My Music" folder to an empty folder on another drive if you were running out of space on it's home drive. And VP11, I now understand your point about this feature getting around the 26 letter limit for drives.

For any other "turn a drive into a folder" newbies this might be of use as well as the above link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307889

This isn't going to help with your defrag issue, but thinking out loud, would defragging the drive containing the newly mapped folder not defrag that folder, even though the defragger can't see it?

Would it ignore that part of the drive it couldn't see?

It would be nice to get some input from any one having a better understanding of this, maybe even the devs?

I have problems with writng in English, which probably seen of my grammar.

As to the content. I used a Novell in work and it takes more than a dozen letters (from F:). The problem arose with a new computer. I got computer with a card reader and it took me a further four letters. When connecting several devices to a computer, the system does not display the contents because the lack of free letters.

Therefore I mapped the partition to NTFS folder instead assign letters. This action made ​​the order. I do not have all the data in the same partition. The data which was often changed don't mixture with another. It reduces the need for fragmentation of data of seldom-used .

And instead of letters I have only a few folders. Already I liked this solution and I use at home.

• Moderators

It does take a bit to get your head around how this actually works, and it does have more than one purpose.

On the subject of defragging the question that pops to my mind is, as mentioned above, will defragging the drive containing the re-mapped folder, actually defrag that folder?

If not, will defragging the original drive not defrag the folder re-mapped to it on the other drive? It's a kind of extension or "overflow" of the original drive.

The answers probably no in both instances, and especially so in the second scenario, and that re-mapped folder or folders get ignored whichever drive you defrag.

I would love to hear from the devs as to whether Defraggler could at some future time be made to recognize these folders as Windows defragger does.

Here's hoping for your benefit VP11, and a thanks from me for the topic. Really interesting.

And your English is fine. You explained your problem well, and I simply missed the point you were making. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I used a Novell in work and it takes more than a dozen letters (from F:). The problem arose with a new computer. I got computer with a card reader and it took me a further four letters. When connecting several devices to a computer, the system does not display the contents because the lack of free letters.

I think I see a possible solution here. Why don't you disable the card reader drive letters using Device Manager to free up all those unused drives so you can have some free to use without having to resort to folder trickery?

You can right-click the drives & choose disable, or even disable the Card Reader controller entirely, I believe.

Wouldn't this work?

I think I see a possible solution here. Why don't you disable the card reader drive letters using Device Manager to free up all those unused drives so you can have some free to use without having to resort to folder trickery?

You can right-click the drives & choose disable, or even disable the Card Reader controller entirely, I believe.

Wouldn't this work?

It possible, but I have 15 letters without card reader (5 letters) and fiscal volumes (3 letters) and drives connect via USB .

post-61282-0-40787900-1333363622_thumb.png

Adding more letters is foolish for me, so I wrote a post asking the solution in program of the problem.