Uh oh

Corona

Last night when I turned off my pooter I noticed it was downloading major updates from Windows Update so I let it do its thing. Today all videos (You Tube, etc.) just play audio but show a blank green screen. Also, iTunes won't download new podcasts when 'refreshed'.

What did they do? :angry:

After installing & rebooting my fans went to max speed, 'cause of the update I guess. :D But they slowed down to normal after a while.

Updates require computationally intensive computing at times, which will cause greater heat generation, & thus require greater dissipation of it.

After updates are finished, it is only logical that it returns to normal state. Other factors apply, such as RAM amount, programs running in the background, fragmentation level, etc...

Last night when I turned off my pooter I noticed it was downloading major updates from Windows Update so I let it do its thing. Today all videos (You Tube, etc.) just play audio but show a blank green screen. Also, iTunes won't download new podcasts when 'refreshed'.

What did they do? :angry:

They probably updated key system areas that are only partially "updated" till you reboot. Some files cannot be replaced till rebooted, since the files are in use. A partial update can cause problems like this, till the reboot occurs, allowing full replacement of the older files with newer versions.

This happened with my desktop/main PC & my laptop. Also a friend of mine told the same; fans went to max for a while. This happened after rebooting the PC.

I've pretty decent PC at the moment.

CPU: Intel 2600K

RAM: 8GB 1600MHz (DDR3)

GPU: AMD 6950 2GB

SSD: Crucial m4 128GB

+ etc

I think what takes longest to set up after update & installation are the .NET services. I stared at Process Explorer for about 20 minutes as .NET4 kept eating 15-20% memory as it opened & closed in tons of different PIDs. .

After the most recent Windows updates, I rebooted then noticed that Trustedinstaller.exe was using 50% CPU for 10 minutes. This happened before so I looked up the process and found that this is common. TrustedInstaller.exe checks for updates and is supposedly responsible for installing some critical updates. So, I just go on over to the kitchen and get a snack while the process finishes its job. Depending on the systems specs., it could be as much as 100% CPU usage and render the system unusable.