Can't keep WebMail Notifier cookies

Selvan

Hi,

Been a long time user of both CC and love it, thanks again for keeping it free!

This may not be a bug of CC at all but please excuse me for feeling I need to share my recent experiences, only you would know whether it is or not.

I've always noticed that CC would not allow me to keep any cookies from WebMail Notifier (WMN) but it never bothered me because, for some reason, I never had a problem with WMN retaining what it needed. But since turning-on Gmail's 2-step verification, it's become a problem. It's back to all good only if and when I deselect Cleaner+Applications+Firefox+Cookies before running CC.

More details:

Each Gmail account in WMN has three associated cookies. When I choose to keep any of them, it looks good on the right but, if I immediately click on another tab then click back on the Cookies tab again, I see CC dropped the ending part of the cookies name (the vertical line onward):

9c5589175048919.jpg

As seen on the left:

accounts.google.com[wmn|gmail|user1]

google.com[wmn|gmail|user1]

mail.google.com[wmn|gmail|user1]

and on the right:

accounts.google.com[wmn

google.com[wmn

mail.google.com[wmn

Thanks a bunch

In search of support from wmn, it seems wmn is now using firefox cookie manager and in firefox I see that the cookies are named as mentioned. I hate to point fingers but it would appear to me that the problem is that CC is not recognizing that vertical line character.

With security being more important, I'll have to give up the convenience of wmn till this is nailed.

Any feedback, please.

CC 3.15.1643 (64-bit)

WMN 2.9.2

FF 10.0.1

Win 7HP64B

The "vertical line character" is understood by CMD.EXE as a "pipe" to redirect an output stream from one program as the input to another program.

e.g.. accounts.google.com[wmn|gmail|user1] becomes

"accounts.google.com[wmn" output processed by "gmail" output processed by "user1]"

It may well be that CC would recognize "pipe" if CMD.EXE allowed it to see this.

So the problem becomes a conflict between a very well established use of '|' by CMD.EXE

and the unusual abuse of '|' by WebMail Notifier (WMN).

I usually consider Microsoft to be the bad guy,

but here I feel WebMail Notifier (WMN) is even badder :rolleyes:

Hi Alan,

My apologies, I should have done this prior to posting initially.

I just ran a clean instance of FF and noted that WMN is creating their own cookies named as such, not FF. I'll take your reply and my findings to WMN with hopes to get this fixed.

Thanks a bunch and again, sorry for the trouble.

Thanks Hazelnut!

Not to defer from what ever the appropriate action is in moving forward by either party, I want to share that I did receive v2.9.3 via an attachment in an E-Mail from the Dev of WMN and it works perfectly, the vertical line has been replaced with #.

What a sport!

• Moderators

I want to share that I did receive v2.9.3 via an attachment in an E-Mail from the Dev of WMN and it works perfectly, the vertical line has been replaced with #.

Awesome that's a good outcome (better that devs make things Windows standards than ccleaner changing itself for each and every proggie IMHO). Good response from the developer.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I tend to to disagree.

WMN is an add-on that's been granted full review by Mozilla and is available in the gallery with a warning-free install button. That should speak for itself.

That speaks to me of inadequate evaluation by Mozilla.

WMN probably recognize that their use of a special "poison" character has damaged the the ability of Windows itself to support its use,

and have wisely chosen to avoid problems for anyone who does NOT use CCleaner but uses one of the billions of other third party applications that run and stumble under Windows.

It is NOT just CMD.EXE that has inhibitions about the validity of '|'

Windows Explorer does not like it either - try creating a file with a name that includes '|' and you get shown this plus 7 other special reserved and illegal characters.

Thanks for the patients with me, it's much appreciated. And the explanation, it does make sense, none of those characters should be used in any naming convention, at least not in Windows OS. It's a bit troubling to see FF allowed/missed it.